Overclock.net banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
8,390 Posts
I use a no-name motherboard in mine... It was produced with Foxconn, which is a top manufacturer of boards... Don't necessarily be afraid to buy a no-name board, but just be aware of how many SATA ports you need and how many PCIe slots it has (for future expansion).

· Premium Member
8,390 Posts
Here is a board that supports M.2/nvme (boot drive) + 4 sata drives

Here is a 10-core Xeon

32gb RAM

You need a basic video card to set it up (once it is set up, you can remove the video card, as you will be accessing the NAS remoting through a web browser), and a PSU and some drives.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You would need to buy separately, cause they are "old" -- old, but still useful, atleast when building a NAS.

If you need a cheap but good air cooler, Cooler Master Hyper 212 fits basically every platform.

I recommend first finding the motherboard (ebay is always useful, but thrift stores, aliexpress, or kijiji/craigslist also works), then checking eBay for a CPU (a compatable quad core Xeon can go as low as 15$ depending on platform, obviously higher end ones go for more, but its really dependent on use case), and RAM should be the easiest to find.
Would x79 or x299 be preferable for the motherboard? And then what are reputable brands for the motherboards?

Edit: You answered my question before I even asked it.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here is a board that supports M.2/nvme (boot drive) + 4 sata drives

Here is a 10-core Xeon

32gb RAM

You need a basic video card to set it up (once it is set up, you can remove the video card, as you will be accessing the NAS remoting through a web browser), and a PSU and some drives.
For the motherboard you linked, do I need to buy a CMOS battery for it to work?

· Premium Member
8,390 Posts
For the motherboard you linked, do I need to buy a CMOS battery for it to work?
I’m not sure. I cannot immediately see where there is a battery place on the motherboard however it does say in the description that it does not come with a battery.

It should be a standard cr2025 battery however, which are quite cheap and easy to find.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I’m not sure. I cannot immediately see where there is a battery place on the motherboard however it does say in the description that it does not come with a battery.

It should be a standard cr2025 battery however, which are quite cheap and easy to find.
On that X79 LGA 2011 Motherboard you posted battery goes here circled in blue.

Circuit component Product Rectangle Passive circuit component Hardware programmer

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.