Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really computer savivy but I'm looking for help on how to overclock my CPU for better performance out of the games I play. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My specs :
Windows 10 operating system
7th Gen Intel Core i7-7700 processor
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
MotherBoard ATX
PSU 500W

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Not to be rude but a simple google search will get you what you need. Basically you would enter the bios and start upping the multiplier. However your CPU is not a K version so I dont believe that the multiplier is unlocked. You would have to increase the FSB and you wont get too much out of it.

What games do you play? That processor should be able to play whatever without being overclocked.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
I suspect that this is a pre-built computer, in which case you shouldn't attempt this. There's a lot more I should say (like I question the quality of that PSU), but I don't have enough time at the moment. I just want to get the ball rolling on this fact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is pre-built due to convenience. If it is not recommended that I overclock I won't. I was just looking to get better performance without upgrading and was suggested this forum by a friend.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Since it is a prebuilt it probably doesnt have a heatsink given the type of CPU. As 2 cables said you dont want to overclock your machine. Just save up and look into building your own in the future.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
The CPU will have a heatsink. Literally every processor needs to dissipate heat somehow.

It isn't about a matter of want. You can't overclock your processor as it is multiplier locked. Your CPU shouldn't be bottlenecking your gameplay anyway. Not sure what kind of gains you expect. Overclocking the CPU, RAM, or GPU has a minor effect so it's not like you're missing much.

If your GTX 1060 is a 3 GB model, you got put together.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post

The CPU will have a heatsink. Literally every processor needs to dissipate heat somehow.

It isn't about a matter of want. You can't overclock your processor as it is multiplier locked. Your CPU shouldn't be bottlenecking your gameplay anyway. Not sure what kind of gains you expect. Overclocking the CPU, RAM, or GPU has a minor effect so it's not like you're missing much.

If your GTX 1060 is a 3 GB model, you got put together.
I meant a quality heatsink. Should have been more clear.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckybam3 View Post

I meant a quality heatsink. Should have been more clear.
That quality of the heatsink is almost irrelevant since it's a locked processor. It's not producing nearly as much heat as an overclocked processor would.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts