17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for the last few parts to arrive but running

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

BIOS: Version 1604

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX/specifications/

CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0GHz/4.2GHz Turbo

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 7 Rev 2.0

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz 16GB(2x8)

Graphics: EVGA GeForce GT 740 Video Card - Superclocked, 4GB GDDR3

PSU: Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply V2

How much would you guys think that I could safely overclock this setup to?

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
I say a little over stock with that cooler , unless it´s winter.
imo the Artic freezer´s a bit small for a serious OC, you should be looking for a big chunk of metal hanging off that thing , 4 x 8mm heatpipes HDT at least, maybe with a push pull 120mm tower if you want to push it. That or liquid.
Just curious, why the 740 with that setup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the best deal I could find at the time of ordering, and thought about doing liquid cooling or a different cooler when I got into serious overclocking. Is that not a good graphics card?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to all the psu calculators, it says I'll be fine.
I've used the rig builder, its set up as a proposed rig currently, until I get it set up

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1926284 View Post

According to all the psu calculators, it says I'll be fine.
I've used the rig builder, its set up as a proposed rig currently, until I get it set up
It isn't the wattage that is the problem. It is that it seems to be an off brand psu.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Wait, GT 740 with 4GB, I didn't expect that to exist. (my current card is a bit faster and I never max out the 1GB ram it has. But I play low settings/high framerate)
It's not a terrible card, but there's little a point to OC it, since you can buy a gpu that is literally 3 times as fast for 100-150 dollars. (I actually just recently ordered an upgrade for my HD 7770~)

As for OCing the CPU, you picked a great Motherboard for that, so the VRMs on that wont overheat before your cpu does.

The cooler will keep your cpu within acceptable temps while running prime95, up to 4-4.4ghz depending on how low voltage you can go for stability (meaning how lucky you got in the silicon lottery)

The PSU as mentioned might be an issue but I'm no expert on this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Don't expect too much of an OC with that cooler. Heat dissipation is the main limiting factor for any overclock. An 8320E would get you similar performance with a lower TDP for the price of a few MHz, which is a really good tradeoff. You could probably lock yourself to the turbo frequency and not have an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the imput guys, I ended up switching the gpu for a MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB OC edition, draws a little more power, friend bought it and his psu wont support it so doing a swap out, as for the rig builder, I built it under the name of mine

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1926284 View Post

If anyone can recommend me a good cpu cooler, it would be greatly appreciated
The cooler master hyper 212 evo+ is great for the money.
Edit: uhh.. I'm not too sure about the 212+ for an 8 core FX.

the more important question: what is your budget for this?

·
curmudgeon
5,933 Posts
A 212 + 8350 = 4.5 ghz tops. Any good twin tower with lots of case fans should get 4.7-4.8 ghz. The main thing is to make sure it fits in your case. What case are you using?

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Well if you can get one a XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition. It is around $50 and gives a NH-D14 and Corsair H100 a run for it's money.

·
curmudgeon
5,933 Posts
You're joking right? That thing only has 3 heat pipes and is useless on an 8350.

I have an 8350 and started out with a single tower cooler with 4 heat pipes and quickly found it to be a waste of money. I then went with a Silverstone Heligon HE01 and am now running a Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme. They are both adequate for a very average 8350 that needs a lot of volts to overclock.

OP, look around this forum for a post by Doyll and look in his sig, then click on item #3. Measure your case and see which of those coolers will fit and then get the one that you like best. Ask lots of questions too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts