Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying I have used the... Droid, Droid 2, Droid 2 Wrold? And the HTC Evo 4G which has been my favorite in every way.

I'm getting 20% off at Sprint if I go back to them for a smartphone. I don't like slide or flip of any kind. I would almost consider the IP5 but I love Android and I hear they took away my google maps that I love. Looking for something probably 4" or bigger. So hit me up with suggestions, even non contract ones. I will consider any phone, even Apple as long as it's a great phone.

I would prefer to Sprint options or non contract honestly. Won't pay Verizon for a "data plan"...

My usage historically is... in order of greatest usage to least...
Music
Gmail
Navigation (Usually Google maps)
Trillian IM
Taking pictures
Youtube
Misc....

I do not play a lot of games on my phone. I don't own a separate camera, probably won't for a long time. Guess that it for now... hope you guys can help
smile.gif

Oh... and maybe some good app ideas. If they are games I greatly enjoy RPG's. Also taking more photos as of late on my Evo... lol

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I am nothing of an Apple fanboy, but the iPhone 5 looks slick. I got to play with one of my buddy's today, and it is nice. I would probably recommend either that or the Galaxy S III. Those are the two best flagship phones it seems. They both have damn good cameras and great performance. If you don't want to spend quite as much the Galaxy Nexus is a solid choice. I have had the GNexus since January and I really like it; I don't see myself upgrading for a long time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come to think of it I don't think I use flash for anything actually... isn't youtube able to use HTML5 on mobile? Or is it stuck on flash?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Flash is somewhat irrelevant when it comes to new android phones, as flash support was removed with the upgrade from ICS (4.0) to Jelly Bean (4.1). It sort of bothered me at first when I upgraded and then found out, but most sites support HTML5 these days, so it hasn't affected me whatsoever.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzeara View Post

I'll start by saying I have used the... Droid, Droid 2, Droid 2 Wrold? And the HTC Evo 4G which has been my favorite in every way.

I'm getting 20% off at Sprint if I go back to them for a smartphone. I don't like slide or flip of any kind. I would almost consider the IP5 but I love Android and I hear they took away my google maps that I love. Looking for something probably 4" or bigger. So hit me up with suggestions, even non contract ones. I will consider any phone, even Apple as long as it's a great phone.

I would prefer to Sprint options or non contract honestly. Won't pay Verizon for a "data plan"...

My usage historically is... in order of greatest usage to least...
Music
Gmail
Navigation (Usually Google maps)
Trillian IM
Taking pictures
Youtube
Misc....

I do not play a lot of games on my phone. I don't own a separate camera, probably won't for a long time. Guess that it for now... hope you guys can help
smile.gif

Oh... and maybe some good app ideas. If they are games I greatly enjoy RPG's. Also taking more photos as of late on my Evo... lol
I'd say the iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S 3.

They both have very powerful hardware. Both have good cameras. There's no Micro SD card on the 5 but I think there is on the S3. Google Maps isn't available on iOS yet -- a rumour suggests it will be by the end of this year but there's no guarantee whatsoever, it could be completely wrong. Google has a YouTube app on iOS but personally I think TubeBox ($3) from the App Store is better as it lets you cache videos and loop them as well as do so in the background.

So it's really down to the software. It makes sense to stay with an Android device if you're fairly invested in the Android ecosystem (apps, and whatever else, etc.). But try them both and see what you think (and give multitasking a shot on the 5 too). I'd recommend a better dual-core (A15) over a quad-core (A9) though. I think the HTC One X has a dual-core S4 (which is somewhat similar to the A15).

• Rep+
Reactions: Xzeara

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input... I still have about a month before I can risk spending on a smartphone again... I did a small bit of research on my own since I didn't get a lot of personal experience replies. The amin thing pushing me from the speed of the iPhone5 in everyday tasks is my concern for my navigation needs... and that I have seen the app store on a 4th gen iPod touch and was... was annoyed by it somehow? I'll do a bit more research tomorrow when I get out of work... long hours T_T

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you're on Sprint the Evo 4G LTE's worth a look. You get a physical camera button, and unlike the One X has a micro-SD slot (though still no removable battery). The screen is also sharper than the GS3's one since the GS3 is Pentile.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzeara View Post

Thanks for the input... I still have about a month before I can risk spending on a smartphone again... I did a small bit of research on my own since I didn't get a lot of personal experience replies. The amin thing pushing me from the speed of the iPhone5 in everyday tasks is my concern for my navigation needs... and that I have seen the app store on a 4th gen iPod touch and was... was annoyed by it somehow? I'll do a bit more research tomorrow when I get out of work... long hours T_T
No worries. The App Store was recently updated with a new look. If you haven't seen it on iOS 6 then have another look. Test out the featured, charts, and search tabs (actually search for something). Gives you a good idea of what it's like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.