Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to overvolt to OC past 800MHz, but I have some questions!

A: What is the best "first" higher voltage to use when overclocking past 800MHz? Something tried and true, I don't want to just "guess" my way up to the frying point. What is a good first step to make?

B: On the above, what is the absolute safest voltage for the stock cooler? With the overclock below on stock voltages I get about 82c on load.

C: If I screw up how can I get my default voltage back? I'm reading some horror story threads, MSI afterburners "Defaults" don't work, it apparently landlocks the default voltage when you change it even once. This true? This would kill RMA possibility.

D: A fun question for 480 owners: What's your OC and voltage level?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The only reason MSI Afterburner should cause the voltage to get stuck is if you force Constant voltage in the settings. You should honestly just raise the clocks until its unstable, then raise the voltage once and see if its stable then just continue this pattern. The drivers should reset if theres any instability and GTX 400's have Overvoltage Protection.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I just fire up Kombuster. Make sure it's using 98% gpu and watch for artifacts. If you see any, just raise the voltage 10mV at a time.

Some times Kombuster won't run the gpu at 98% I've found. If it doesnt I put AA mode @ 2X MSAA and it'll make it jump back up to 98%.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol. I just bumped it up from 1.037v to 1.047v and it blue screened on me without me trying to increase my overclock.

I have a funny feeling this is going to be a short lived venture.

·
Watercooling Enthusiast
4,801 Posts
start at stock settings. increase clocks until u see artifacts then increase voltage until u no longer see any. Next increase clocks until u see artifacts again then increase voltage until you no longer see any. Rinse and repeat until desired core. I got 950 on all 3 of my 480s doing that. Took a while, but works like a charm. I am on water tho.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright. I'll tell you guys how it goes. 800/1600/1940 is definately the highest I could go with 0 artifacts on stock voltage. I bumped up the voltage now, and I'll report my highest clocks again soon enough. Rinse, repeat, until OCCT gives me a temperature until I'm not comfortable with.
Hopefully I can hit 850 though.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Ya, start the oc'ing before you begin giving it juice. Gotta make that kid sweat before you give him that Kool-Aid.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Up to 815/1630/1950 at 1.050v, 88c max load. I need more voltage to get higher sadly, I didn't expect it to only last 15MHz on the core before I needed another bump.

I'll post results from the 2nd bump tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts