Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have a 3870x2 but its giving me loads of problems now. My friend with a single 3870 has flawless gameplay but when puts mine or his brothers 3870x2 he has performance impoacts just like me so i know its not the card. I get blips and freezing where i shouldnt, my performance in FPS is lower than what is reported by a single core card. So im guessing that the reports may be right in that the technology used for the dual core 3870 was indeed flawed and too slow in switching cores. For that reason i was looking at upgrading to a 4870. Are these cards only available as a dual slot or are there single slot versions available? currently i can only afford 1 card but CrossfireX was something i may be wanting to look into next year, but with a dual slot it means its either 2 4870's or 2 4870x2's.

So could anyone offer any advice here?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
When the X2 has optimized drivers the 4870 may still be some 10% better, if it's not xfire optimized count more than double the performance.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos Prime View Post
so is it worth upgrading to a 4870 from a 3870X2?

also does any game out there at the moment or known in developement use crossfireX (4gfx's)?
4870 might be better at AA.
cod4 is one,other games are cpu limited even at 2560x1600,guru3d showed nice scaling for 4gpus using oc'ed nehalem,so it might be even better with the new x58 optimised drivers that ati released recently.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos Prime View Post
so is it worth upgrading to a 4870 from a 3870X2?
Depends on what you play... if the games you play have good Xfire profiles, you'll likely be disappointed, 10% isn't that visible. On the other hand, let's say for Crysis you'll be pretty happy with the upgrade.

Quote:

also does any game out there at the moment or known in developement use crossfireX (4gfx's)?
If Xfire is supported or not depends more on ATI, but I really doubt it. They seem to have huge issues in keeping 3 GPUs busy, let alone 4. It looks like a CPU/platform limitation, like gamervivek said.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see, well the PC games i intend to play are the likes of Tomb Raider Underground, Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead, UT3, generally FPS games with the rare action style game. With those in mind and also on my HDTV i intend to run a resolution of 1920x1080, is the 3870X2 still a safer bet or is the jump for a single 4870 looking like the way forward?

Of course if 1920x1080 is not possible (though its prefered as its my native resolution for my HDTV) then i will look at a lower resolution, but thats my aim for the mean time anyway....

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
The 1920* is very much possible with a 4870 and with pretty good details too in all except Crysis Warhead, where 1680* should be a better bet.
Still, if you're for playing @1920 I'd advice you a 4870 1GB as the 1GB of memory gives you more legroom. In Valve games you can even play @1920* with 4xAA no sweat with the 1GB; with the 512MB for the same quality settings you need to drop the AA. Crysis also likes 1GB and frankly it looks like the trend for games is to use more and more memory.

The problem with the 3870x2 is that it has in reality only 2x512MB, which does not equal 1GB as seen from games, due to the Xfire overhead (SLI is the same). This coupled with an older architecture means roughly max. 1680* if the Xfire profile is good.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool thanks for the info, ill get a single 4870 this xmas and then maybe look at getting another down the line, and ill take the advice and stick with a 1GB model. Is there any brand recommended or to stay away from or they all the same and just down to warrenty? Also will my PSU be ok? its 600watts...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts