Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to upgrade my cpu to either cheap secondhand E5-2670 or i5 2500k or brand new 6600k or 5820k.

Im currently using i5 2500 non k at 3.8 ghz and when I play the game with torque multiplier and default settings for gtx 970 it lags a bit. All 4 cores are at 100% usage while GPU is at 50 and 60 max, is that bottlenecking? Will having more than 4 cores help with that?

Playing gta v without mods uses 80% cpu while playing with torque multiplier uses 100% and probably more. So what do you guys think? is cheap upgrade enough or do I need 5820k?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Spending money to go from an i5 2500 non-k to an 15 2500k may not make a lot of sense. At least the rest of your rig is ready for overclocking, i.e. motherboard and decent cooler. But, you could realistically expect another 10% through overclocking. I don't think that would be enough to make a significant difference given the added cost. You could make that decision for your self... how much is that performance worth it to you.

I also don't upgrade for one game. If I see my rig is struggling to play the majority of the games, then I upgrade. But, I never upgrade my rig because of one game. Again, that is your preference. Some people love a game so much, that they are willing to do that, it's personal preference really.

If I had the i5 2500, I would probably wait one more generation and then upgrade my whole CPU/Mobo/ram all at once. But, if you wanted to upgrade to a Skylake build now, no one would consider that a poor decision. Your're several generations old at this point. The i5 2500 is still a good chip though. I'm using an FX 8320e @ 4.2 ghz and it can play everything I need it too at pretty high settings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohhhhh so then there goes my cheap upgrade lol. I really wanted to just get the 2500k and call it a day. Dang it! Really just 10%?!?!?!??!?!?! all these years im thinking i've been missing out and its just such a small difference? like 10% more cpu headroom right? so in my case i would still have 100% cpu usage so 2500k is not enough for this game.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts