Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am running a triple monitor setup with 3x 1080p Dell 22" that I got for free from work.

I am looking to upgrade to a single monitor solely for gaming.

Ive been reading about difference with TN Panels, H-IPS, have seen some weird brand names of monitors etc. And its all beginning to bundle together in a large mess.

I'm looking for a monitor that is under $1,000 (I'm not including tax/shipping in final cost), great response time I play a lot of FPS and RPGs mainly, color accuracy, and from a manufacturer that has a decent warranty...I would really hate to have a monitor for a year and pixels start to go out. I have plenty of power, I believe, to run almost any display.

SLI GTX 580

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
15,715 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
2560x1080
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfinion View Post

2560x1080
thumb.gif
I just wish that they didn't cost as much as a 27" 1440p display. I do love the aspect ratio. Its also nice and big. That 21:9 dell also has lower input lag than most high end 2560x1440 displays. It has its pros, thats for sure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I first wanted to upgrade after seeing the Apple 27" Thunderbolt display which is 1400p. Obviously since I cant use the thunderbolt display, here I am.

I have not seen a 1600p screen in person though and really wonder if the extra 200 is worth the price jump of almost double? I do have to say I love the retina display on the new macbooks though. Crisp.

As for the budget, yes I am willing to go up to 1000 but the wife would like me to keep it as low as possible. Is there much of a difference in viewing between a 27" 1400p and a 30" 1600p? What about the lag?

I really like the slim bezel on the Dells. Weight and thickness of the monitor doesn't matter I have plenty of room on my desk and its a sturdy mother trucker.

@zinfinion, as much as I love Archer, I have to say that monitor looks ridiculously shaped. I might as well stick with 5760x1080 if im looking for something like that. Just too...thin and long...i cant describe it.

·
Premium Member
15,715 Posts
In your case I would look at the following monitors

Asus PB278Q

or

Dell U2713HM

They are both around $650 and will make you very very happy. Both have great warranty etc.

You can always grab a Korean IPS monitor for around $350 which will give you the same quality.

If also you have a Microcenter nearby, go take a look at the Auria monitors which are 1440p as well and gives the same quality as the Asus or Dell. They just have 1 year warranty though as far as I know.

About 1600p. It is great, but I don't think it would justify the price.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

In your case I would look at the following monitors

Asus PB278Q
or
Dell U2713HM

They are both around $650 and will make you very very happy. Both have great warranty etc.

You can always grab a Korean IPS monitor for around $350 which will give you the same quality.

If also you have a Microcenter nearby, go take a look at the Auria monitors which are 1440p as well and gives the same quality as the Asus or Dell. They just have 1 year warranty though as far as I know.
any of these choices would be great for single monitor.

I picked up one of the 30" korean monitors and wow i dont ever want to move away from 1600p
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150912875868?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

·
Premium Member
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naididae View Post

That Viewsonic 27 inch is a pretty good choice too!
Is there a Viewsonic 1440p monitor?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If you want something cheap that won't break bank, you can get Korean 27" IPS monitors like my Yamakasi 2560x1400p for around $300 at the lowest price in history up to around $500 easy.

Been using mine fine for over half year? Shipping for mine was ridonkulously fast

·
Premium Member
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naididae View Post

ViewSonic VP2770
First time hearing it

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocide View Post

@zinfinion, as much as I love Archer, I have to say that monitor looks ridiculously shaped. I might as well stick with 5760x1080 if im looking for something like that. Just too...thin and long...i cant describe it.
wink.gif
The xXXXX made me do it. It's a tad odd as far as desktop work goes but awesome for games. I completely understand people being leery of them and going with a "normal" 16:9 or 16:10 though. It's definitely a niche item.

As far as 1440 vs 1600 goes, the 1600 is a tadwider phyiscally, but the horizontal field of view in games is reduced from that of the 1440 (presuming hor+ games). Here's two pics comparing the physical size as well as the effect of the aspect ration on games (27" on top 30" on bottom):

Open them in two tabs and then flip between them to get the full effect. And here's a 23" for reference, closest I have to your 22":

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comparisons. I do have to say I like the 1400p better than the 1600.

The extra horizontal view makes for a great fps view.

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is another quick question that came to mind.

HDMI or DVI Dual Link?

I would assume DVI is better for gaming as its pure video and doesn't carry audio as well as video signals, but isn't HDMI newer tech and possibly better?

And also, I think I am going to go with the Asus PB278Q monitor. Never been let down before by Asus.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:

Here is another quick question that came to mind.

HDMI or DVI Dual Link?

I would assume DVI is better for gaming as its pure video and doesn't carry audio as well as video signals, but isn't HDMI newer tech and possibly better?

And also, I think I am going to go with the Asus PB278Q monitor. Never been let down before by Asus.
You'll want to use either Display Port or DVI Dual link.

That asus has PWM lighting. If you get headaches from strobe lighting avoid it.

You could also check out the Auria from microcenter. They do ship. Its at 400 USD, and its got a 1 year warranty backed by a company in the US. Currently they have a matte finish like your dells if you prefer that over glossy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the comparisons. I do have to say I like the 1400p better than the 1600.

The extra horizontal view makes for a great fps view.

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk 2
extra horizontal view on 1440p compared to 1600p?

i highly doubt that, quite the opposite:
http://www.displaywars.com/30-inch-16x10-vs-27-inch-16x9

if you can afford it, go for U3014. i know i would
smile.gif

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuko View Post

extra horizontal view on 1440p compared to 1600p?

i highly doubt that, quite the opposite:
http://www.displaywars.com/30-inch-16x10-vs-27-inch-16x9

if you can afford it, go for U3014. i know i would
smile.gif
Not talking about the physical comparison, talking about the image displayed.

The 1440 has displays more of the image horizontally than the vertical. At ;least in the pics it does.

Also, I am fairly certain I will be buying a Qnix 27" from amazon

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If you decide to with the Viewsonic 1440 that is being suggested here in this tread, its a great monitor. Ive just got the U3014, and its an epic screen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts