Overclock.net banner

Looking to upgrade my GPU

1077 Views 26 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Malaziel
I would like to hear some advice from the experts.
I have a P4 2.4GHz 478socket, 512MB RAM (of which I don't know the specs) and an old NVidia GPU GForce with 64MB RAM (@200MHz IIRC).
I am looking to replace my GPU and I would like to stay with NVidia because it has been proved robust. I am not a super-gamer neither I use my PC for super dupper entertainment. I am looking for something cheap that will offer a great improvement to my current setup. It would be nice to enjoy some games without the quality compromises I currently have and watch a movie without freezing.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Edit: The Mobo is an ASUS P4P800S-X
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
19,149 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GT!

you wont find shader model 3 on any fx 5500 card. also you wont find any of the picture quality advancements in that fx 5500 card either. its well worth the price and if you buy the fx 5500 its just a waste of cash really. leadtek is a nvidia gpu resailer, and geforce is just lol the part of the name of the graphics card . really just trust me on this if you dont you will be dissapointed
no worries tho... just advice

Agreed. The 5500 will give minimal improvement over your current card... a 6600GT is leaps and bounds past both of them. I was considering getting a 5500, and I'm glad I spent the extra money on my current card. It is definently worth it.

· Premium Member
19,149 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

truely the 5500 just sucks... waste of money and time spent, so the 6600 as we said is the best bet for you,you will love the performance it has over what u have and it will last for a while too... leadtek is just a hardware company that sells computer parts, the sell geforce type videocards, geforce is the GPU type, there are other manufacturers that sell geforces such as XFX,eVGA,MSI,Inno3d...so on...

Yup. For example, my card is a eVGA nVidia GeForce 6600GT.
eVGA made the actual card, nVidia made the GPU chip, GeForce is the model line, and 6600GT is the GPU model.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.