Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a i7 i930 cpu, 8gb ram, ati hd6870 graphic card and need to upgrade so I can play current games. I am looking for an economical upgrade so please keep that in mind. It's been a while for me but back in the day AMD was a better bang for your buck, is this still so? Can you guys suggest a mobo, cpu, hopefully I can still use my ram if not add that, and graphics card for me ?? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
waifu for lifu
11,551 Posts
hi,

whats your budget?

·
waifu for lifu
11,551 Posts
$300 is a very tight PC budget. You're almost better getting a console. Considering black Friday is almost here, expect the PS4 pro to drop to $300. This is what I have now for a quick build. I'm sure other members can do better.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hkDCHN

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

$300 is a very tight PC budget. You're almost better getting a console. Considering black Friday is almost here, expect the PS4 pro to drop to $300. This is what I have now for a quick build. I'm sure other members can do better.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hkDCHN
I've Pc gamed since 2002 and can't console ... I can't get used to the controllers. I've tried...

·
waifu for lifu
11,551 Posts
You can always keep everything and just upgrade the gpu. Not sure if the cpu will bottleneck, but its an option.

·
waifu for lifu
11,551 Posts
You can search the used gpu market for a good deal as well, its gonna take some foot work though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I see you have your 930 running @ 4ghz. Gamersnexus did a recent post a couple of months ago seeing how the 930 stood up against modern games. It did just fine when paired with a modern GPU especially when overclocked to 4ghz. If you're on a budget and want the most bang for your buck, upgrade your GPU.

edit - as to your thought on buying at 8350, that would not really be an upgrade even when overclocked. More of a side grade if anything (assuming you can get the 8350 running at like... 5ghz....)

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
Although I have zero problems using an AMD FX processor in modern AAA titles; I would never even consider buying AM3 these days.

Buy a 4Gb 1050 Ti or 4Gb RX 560 and keep the old i7 until it becomes the restricting component. Or until you can afford to buy a modern CPU, Mobo and Ram.

·
Registered
891 Posts
With that budget used is probably your best bet. If you can keep your case/psu/ram/hdd or ssd, then just get new cpu/mobo/gpu second hand.

8gb of ddr3 at 1333 shouldn't really be a concern at this tier.

Doing a full build for $300 wouldn't be advised.

·
waifu for lifu
11,551 Posts
If OP wants to stay in the PC realm of gaming, I'd advise to get a used gpu. Any mainstream card, rx 470 or 1060 will run most games fine @ 1080p. You can spend well under $300 and be able to play the latest games with no issues. You can get a new card for around that much as well.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

If OP wants to stay in the PC realm of gaming, I'd advise to get a used gpu. Any mainstream card, rx 470 or 1060 will run most games fine @ 1080p. You can spend well under $300 and be able to play the latest games with no issues. You can get a new card for around that much as well.
After reading all these comments I've decided to go used and I found one for a good price with decent reviews and a good price. See pic below please
c5de87f6ee03c6288d9fd826067c81c1.jpg

·
PC Evangelist
47,388 Posts
Use all your budget on a GPU.

·
waifu for lifu
11,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post

After reading all these comments I've decided to go used and I found one for a good price with decent reviews and a good price. See pic below please
c5de87f6ee03c6288d9fd826067c81c1.jpg

I think you can find a better deal. Try ebay, reddit, or our very own marketplace.

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
Op is trolling us.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricwin View Post

Op is trolling us.
I'm not trolling you .. why would you say that? I wanted to do a full upgrade but decided to just do the GPU. I'm buying the 750TI used. Why is this a good card or a piece of crap or at what point did you feel I was trolling? I swear it I'm not trolling.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts