Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Haven't posted here in a while. I've gotten quite a bit of mileage out of my first build (see sig), but I'm now interested in upgrading a bit.

I'd like to spend <$1000 between CPU, mobo, and video card(s). Just a couple of questions:

• Is now a good time to buy (relatively speaking)? The 2600k seems sweet from what I've read (I've had a lot of catching up to do!).
• Are there any benchmarks of Ivy Bridge suggesting the gains will be substantial enough to warrant waiting ~6-8 months?
• Should I wait a week for the 2700k? Or is what some are considering a higher-binned 2600k on the homepage's news not worth it?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm going to hit up the nVidia and AMD subforums later for GPU stuff, but any cursory suggestions regarding GPUs and mobos would be appreciated as well. I'll check back in a little bit, I need to look into new CPU/GPU waterblocks for the potential upgrade

·
Registered
442 Posts
$1000 will you get one heck of a machine.

And yes, now is a good time to buy. You know how it goes in the tech world... yeah you can wait but then the next big thing will be out and you will want to wait longer for the price to go down on that. An endless cycle!

If you are just using this rig for gaming I would stick with the 2500k. It can be had on sale for $190 - $205 which is a steal. You can then pour the saved money into a beastly GPU.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply...

Yeah, I'm primarily going to be gaming, but I might try to get back into benchmarking (still have a dry ice pot lol). tbh, I don't know that I've ever been bottlenecked by a CPU in a game.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I decided not to wait. Like the above post says, its a never ending cycle. The i5 and i7 cpu's will be good for quite some time to come, and can run any games out right now or coming out soon. I would get an i5, asus board, and splurge on a 3 gb gtx 580 card. Seeing as you already have a 950w psu, you should be okay, assuming you have the case space.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlindDeafMute
View Post

I decided not to wait. Like the above post says, its a never ending cycle. The i5 and i7 cpu's will be good for quite some time to come, and can run any games out right now or coming out soon. I would get an i5, asus board, and splurge on a 3 gb gtx 580 card. Seeing as you already have a 950w psu, you should be okay, assuming you have the case space.

Hm, maybe I should go all out on the video card and go with the i5. How do you like your 580?

I definitely have the case space. Which particular asus board did you have in mind?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts