Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to spend no more than a couple hundred bucks on upgrades for my sig rig. It's used for folding foremost, and games/general usage secondly. As such, the 2GB of RAM isn't much of an issue, it's something I'll upgrade at some point but now have no need to do so.

I figure that the best course of action I could choose would be a new GPU and case. New GPU would go alongside the existing one, I have 3 PCIe x16 slots. First and foremost, I will not buy an ATi card. I have a personal hatred of ATI, and anyways, they are horrible for Folding.

Currently, I'm looking at the GTX465: it's in my price range, very fast, and does quite nice PPD for [email protected]

My question is the following: how good is the GTX460 supposed to be? The 768MB one in particular is very tempting because it's a good bit cheaper than the 465. However, if it's far slower I'll spend the extra for the GTX465.

Would I be able to run a GTX460/465 alongside my GTX260 and my OCed i7 on my 650w PSU? The GTS250 wouldn't be in this system, but from what I've heard the GTX465 draws a lot of power.

Unless a very good reason can be provided to go for the GTX470 I'm going to get something cheaper, I really don't want to spend $300+ on a new GPU when I also need a new case....
 

·
Jayce
Joined
·
3,767 Posts
Go for the GTX 465. It will be noticeably faster than the 460, and the extra bit of VRAM never hurts. As well, there's a decent chance you could run into one that is unlockable to a 470 - and in that case, this would be a HECKUVA value.

As far as your PSU is concerned...the 470 has a TDP of around 215w, the 465 should be around 195-200w, or about the same as your GTX 260. You're looking at pushing your PSU to the limit, but it should be fine for now if you can't afford a new PSU. Just don't OC very much, if any at all
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: mmx+

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm probably not going to be buying until August or September (leaving town soon and I might as well wait until I come back for prices to come down), so are there any new GPUs I should be aware of?

My GTX260 isn't a standard one, it's a low-power one with one 6pin plug and it only draws about 100w

How much of an improvement would I be looking at in games for the GTX465 vs my current 260?
 

·
Jayce
Joined
·
3,767 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mmx+
View Post

I'm probably not going to be buying until August or September (leaving town soon and I might as well wait until I come back for prices to come down), so are there any new GPUs I should be aware of?

My GTX260 isn't a standard one, it's a low-power one with one 6pin plug and it only draws about 100w

How much of an improvement would I be looking at in games for the GTX465 vs my current 260?

Substantial improvement all the way around. Higher minimum/average/max FPS. DX 11. More VRAM/memory buffer.

I went from 2x260 Core 216's and noticed the smoothness right away with just a single GTX 470. It would be a giant leap going from a 260, you're talking 216 cores (or 192) vs. 448.

Also, if you're worried about a future card being released that no one knows about yet, get an EVGA branded 465 and give yourself the ability to step-up and pay just the difference if another card comes out within 3 months.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: mmx+

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by jcde7ago
View Post

Substantial improvement all the way around. Higher minimum/average/max FPS. DX 11. More VRAM/memory buffer.

I went from 2x260 Core 216's and noticed the smoothness right away with just a single GTX 470. It would be a giant leap going from a 260, you're talking 216 cores (or 192) vs. 448.

Also, if you're worried about a future card being released that no one knows about yet, get an EVGA branded 465 and give yourself the ability to step-up and pay just the difference if another card comes out within 3 months.

Actually my GTX260 is one of the 1792mb models


So is this the card I want to get? Step up would be cool, I guess that way I could always get a 470 if I wasn't happy with the 465 (although, with a 19" LCD that does 1440x900, the 465 should be plenty)

I'm more interested in [email protected] performance, it looks like the 465 does about 50% more than my current GTX260
 

·
Jayce
Joined
·
3,767 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mmx+
View Post

Actually my GTX260 is one of the 1792mb models


So is this the card I want to get? Step up would be cool, I guess that way I could always get a 470 if I wasn't happy with the 465 (although, with a 19" LCD that does 1440x900, the 465 should be plenty)

I'm more interested in [email protected] performance, it looks like the 465 does about 50% more than my current GTX260


Yep, that's the card. Lifetime warranty, 90-day step-up...can't go wrong. It'll be more than enough for your resolution, and you can always step up to a better card if you're not satisfied down the road.

And yes, your [email protected] PPD will definitely increase exponentially, lol. Good luck man, it will be a great card
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: mmx+

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by jcde7ago
View Post

Yep, that's the card. Lifetime warranty, 90-day step-up...can't go wrong. It'll be more than enough for your resolution, and you can always step up to a better card if you're not satisfied down the road.

And yes, your [email protected] PPD will definitely increase exponentially, lol. Good luck man, it will be a great card


Newegg only says 2 years


I love the look of this card, my 260 is boring looking


How loud/hot are these cards? My 260 runs at about 80c, but at only 50% fan and is pretty quiet. I understand that these draw a lot of power and will thus heat things up a lot, that I can deal with, but I really like a quiet PC

Quote:


Originally Posted by C-zom
View Post

465 does more than a 50% improvement for folding. You'll love it, huge stepup from your gtx 260.


Well, OCed 465s are a bit over 12k, my 260 OCed is about 8k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I'd double check that you have enough PCIe connectors. The wattage should be ok, if you can connect it.
 

·
Jayce
Joined
·
3,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmx+ View Post
Newegg only says 2 years


I love the look of this card, my 260 is boring looking


How loud/hot are these cards? My 260 runs at about 80c, but at only 50% fan and is pretty quiet. I understand that these draw a lot of power and will thus heat things up a lot, that I can deal with, but I really like a quiet PC

Well, OCed 465s are a bit over 12k, my 260 OCed is about 8k

NewEgg's warranty might only be 2 years, but you register the card with EVGA, and it should be eligible for limited lifetime warranty, provided you register the card within 30 days of purchase.

The 465 will run probably only about 10 degrees celsius hotter than your 260. That was my own experience when I had 260's, at least. But on the 400 series fans, it doesn't get loud until until you go ABOVE 70% fan speed, so you'll be fine. The power consumption will be comparable to a stock 260 Core 216, so a bit more than your current 260.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: mmx+

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlue View Post
I'd double check that you have enough PCIe connectors. The wattage should be ok, if you can connect it.
I have plenty, I think at least 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post
NewEgg's warranty might only be 2 years, but you register the card with EVGA, and it should be eligible for limited lifetime warranty, provided you register the card within 30 days of purchase.

The 465 will run probably only about 10 degrees celsius hotter than your 260. That was my own experience when I had 260's, at least. But on the 400 series fans, it doesn't get loud until until you go ABOVE 70% fan speed, so you'll be fine. The power consumption will be comparable to a stock 260 Core 216, so a bit more than your current 260.
Just checked EVGA and it says lifetime....thanks!
I'm probably going to be getting a new case as well....this Lian Li has horrible airflow.

If power consumption is comparable to a GTX260 that could easily put my rig at close to 500w
Oh well

Is it worth spending $10 more for the Superclocked?
 

·
Jayce
Joined
·
3,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmx+ View Post
I have plenty, I think at least 4

Just checked EVGA and it says lifetime....thanks!
I'm probably going to be getting a new case as well....this Lian Li has horrible airflow.

If power consumption is comparable to a GTX260 that could easily put my rig at close to 500w
Oh well

Is it worth spending $10 more for the Superclocked?
Your PSU is a quality SeaSonic, so assuming 80% efficiency, you'll draw a little less than 500w on full-load. Your PSU should be fine, but yeah, you'll be pushing it.

And no, the $10 isn't worth it for the SC version. You can save that extra $10 and EASILY hit the same SuperClocked version's OC on stock voltages on a non-SC card.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post
Your PSU is a quality SeaSonic, so assuming 80% efficiency, you'll draw a little less than 500w on full-load. Your PSU should be fine, but yeah, you'll be pushing it.

And no, the $10 isn't worth it for the SC version. You can save that extra $10 and EASILY hit the same SuperClocked version's OC on stock voltages on a non-SC card.
Well, with my GTX260 and 3.8ghz i7 I'm currently right at 340w....so 500w seemed reasonable with a GTX465...no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Dont get a SC version. From my understanding they are the exact same card with different clocks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slayerzav View Post
Dont get a SC version. From my understanding they are the exact same card with different clocks.
So they'll all OC past SC levels?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So for another $150 tops I could get another GTX260....worth it to get another of those for SLI instead of a GTX465?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,418 Posts
Well in my point of view the best buy is a GTX470 they OC easily to 800core/1600 shader and give 15.5k even at 1500 shader they do 14.6k for PPD/wattage the GTX470 is the best is worth the price or you may be lucky and get a 465 that can be modded to 470.

PS: do not invest in GT200 cause gp2 will die and gpu3 as bad performance with gt200... they loose a lot ppd with it... so gt400 is the way to go
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by [CyGnus] View Post
Well in my point of view the best buy is a GTX470 they OC easily to 800core/1600 shader and give 15.5k even at 1500 shader they do 14.6k for PPD/wattage the GTX470 is the best is worth the price or you may be lucky and get a 465 that can be modded to 470.

PS: do not invest in GT200 cause gp2 will die and gpu3 as bad performance with gt200... they loose a lot ppd with it... so gt400 is the way to go
A GTX470 is really more than I want to spend....even a 465 is pushing it (considering I'm looking at a new case as well)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top