Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any drawback if i run my loop like this.
655 pump-cpu block-dual 250mm res-MCR 220 rad-back to pump?
most people run theirs-
pump-cpu-rad-rez-back to pump?

i dont think the way i want to do mine will be a problem, but i just would like to make sure

thanx

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
you want it to go res>pump>rad>CPU>res if anything.

although, almost any config will be OK if it shortens the amount of tubing you need significantly.

but almost always put the rad right before the cpu so the water is coldest going into the block. also, the pumps are better at pushing water than pulling it so you want the pump as close to right after the res as possible.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post
you want it to go res>pump>rad>CPU>res if anything.

although, almost any config will be OK if it shortens the amount of tubing you need significantly.

but almost always put the rad right before the cpu so the water is coldest going into the block. also, the pumps are better at pushing water than pulling it so you want the pump as close to right after the res as possible.

i always thought that the pump went straight into the cpu block?
so,
dual res-pump-rad-cpu-back to res should work then?

i guess i could change it, but it would add another foot of tubing.
i have my res's mounted on top of my case, so they will be ran as 1 big res.
i guess i can try to lay it out agian.

Thanx

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimwit13 View Post
i always thought that the pump went straight into the cpu block?
so,
dual res-pump-rad-cpu-back to res should work then?

i guess i could change it, but it would add another foot of tubing.
i have my res's mounted on top of my case, so they will be ran as 1 big res.
i guess i can try to lay it out agian.

Thanx

-dimwit-
wait, what do you mean two res's? that sounds like a good way to kill flowrates and possibly burn out a pump.

can you post pics of what you mean please?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post
wait, what do you mean two res's? that sounds like a good way to kill flowrates and possibly burn out a pump.

can you post pics of what you mean please?
well it is all torn apart right now-i will see if i can sketch somthing up-or post some bad pictures-

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
As Syrillian said, filling is harder if your reservoir isn't in front of the pump intake. There will be a tiny, tiny increase in CPU temperature, because some of the approximately 10 or 12 watts that your pump uses will get into the water, but that will quickly get overshadowed by your CPU, so don't worry about it if that's the way you have to do it.

As for the dual res thing, do you mean something like the XSPC dual bay res, or the one that lets you mount two separate pumps onto it for two loops or something? Those are nifty.

·
Happy Dad
346 Posts
he's probably talking about a dual 5.25 bay res... not two different res's

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
these are my res's

they will lay side by side.
intake through one end, connected at the other end and out through the other res.

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Actually, if a fillport was connected to the second output on those, that could be pretty cool, especially if it was part of an aesthetic build.

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimwit13
View Post

these are my res's

they will lay side by side.
intake through one end, connected at the other end and out through the other res.

-dimwit-

I would not do that unless you use a Y splitter going into and out of the res's (in parrallel). if you have them in serial it will cause the pump to suck all the water out of the one closest to it and overload the one the loop dumps into. the flow between the res's will be terrible and it will make it so that unless you have them 100% full the pump will run the possibility of sucking in air and it will put a whole lot of extra load on the pump.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
some crude drawings

inside

top of case

arrows show flow direction

-dimwit

sorry guys my autocad is on the other system

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

Actually, if a fillport was connected to the second output on those, that could be pretty cool, especially if it was part of an aesthetic build.

Dimwit, is there a particular reason you want dual reservoirs on a single loop?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx
View Post

I would not do that unless you use a Y splitter going into and out of the res's (in parrallel). if you have them in serial it will cause the pump to suck all the water out of the one closest to it and overload the one the loop dumps into. the flow between the res's will be terrible and it will make it so that unless you have them 100% full the pump will run the possibility of sucking in air and it will put a whole lot of extra load on the pump.

i plan on having them both full.
question-how is the dual res different than just 1 big res?
if they are full it shouldnt mater?

not questioning your input-just asking.

-dimwit-

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Dimwit, is there a particular reason you want dual reservoirs on a single loop?

lol-because just one on top doesnt look right. and if/when i add my gpu (with another rad) i will be setup already.

OK,OK-cuz it looks cool-lol

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
The second reservoir adds an un-needed element and added components.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

P.S. If you want dual reservoirs, and you are willing to take the extra steps to integrate it.... then it is all you, Brother.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

The second reservoir adds an un-needed element and added components.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

P.S. If you want dual reservoirs, and you are willing to take the extra steps to integrate it.... then it is all you, Brother.

well if it will cause problems then i wont use the dual res.

i like the look, but performance is more important to me.

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimwit13
View Post

i plan on having them both full.
question-how is the dual res different than just 1 big res?
if they are full it shouldnt mater?

not questioning your input-just asking.

-dimwit-

the problem is the flow between the two res's. because the amount of water in a resivior can vary (and that is why we use them) they inhibit flow.

every other part in your loop can only hold a specific amount of water, so when the pump pushes new water into them the old gets pushed out. but since res's water level can vary (and you will rarely be able to get them 100% full) they do not force the flow to continue. they will just let the water level rise and there will be very low flow out of the res.

this will then cause the water level of the res the pump pulls out of to drop and the pressure difference will put lots of extra stress on your pump and could burn it out.

the point in a res is to make it so you do not have to have 100% of the air bled out of the system for it to work. you will be causing yourself lots of headaches trying to get all the air out of those and if you do not get all the air out you will have the problems i stated before.

the only way you will be able to make both res's work without any extra stress on the pump will be if you use a Y splitter to split the line going into the res's and have one line go into each res and another Y to rejoin the flow coming out of the res's.

I can post a pic if you want.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts