Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So i've came to the point where I can not stand the noise of my rid... so I want to go watercool. Plus, it looks cool and i wanna be able to say and show i know how. I've been around here long enough to know what i'm doing so planning a setup wont be my be concern. My question is, should I update my current rig (sig below) while doing this. OR, just update the case + vid card (no point in getting an exprensive block on an old card) and keep evrything else the same? So in a nut shell is i7 worth it? When i setup this loop i dont want to update for awhile

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T0aSty View Post
So in a nut shell is i7 worth it?
Depends on what you're doing with it. Which begs the question, what are you doing with it?

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
I itch for new hardware whenever it comes out, so I'm a little biased to say to upgrade your parts now.

However if you don't have the money initially, you can always buy blocks that are compatible with other sockets (ex: EK Supreme HF, XSPC Rasa, Koolance CPU-360). There are GPU blocks to consider as well (Swiftech MCW80/MCW60, Koolance GPU-220, EK VGA Supreme).

I would definitely upgrade your video card though. Don't get a full coverage block for that.

• Rep+
Reactions: T0aSty

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Don't upgrade your CPU, wait for Sandy/Dozer to be released. That doesn't mean you can't watercool though.

Parts list:
MCP355
EK Supreme HF
XSPC Reservoir top for MCP 355
XSPC RX360 Radiator
1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing
1/2" ID Barbs
PT-Nuke

EDIT: The Supreme HF has so many options for mounting holes I almost guarantee it will be compatible with the new 1155 socket/AM3+.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Depends on what you're doing with it. Which begs the question, what are you doing with it?
I do everything on my rig but Gaming takes the most out of it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
Don't upgrade your CPU, wait for Sandy/Dozer to be released. That doesn't mean you can't watercool though.

Parts list:
MCP355
EK Supreme HF
XSPC Reservoir top for MCP 355
XSPC RX360 Radiator
1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing
1/2" ID Barbs
PT-Nuke

EDIT: The Supreme HF has so many options for mounting holes I almost guarantee it will be compatible with the new 1155 socket/AM3+.
Of course!
Was going to watercool regardless. Havent read up much on Sandy. Big differance to the i7's?

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
I wouldn't be as interested about sandy bridge as I would about bulldozer. 8 cores @3.0 GHz + unlocked multi for $300 is going to be better than sex.

Not like sandy bridge that is going to be FSB & Multi locked which means to even get a chip capable of an OC you'll need to buy their pricey "Extreme" series processor.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
I get bored every 3-4 months and want new stuff, therefore, I say get the i7 and some G skill trident 2000mhz ram to start. You can tweak that ram to 2100 Cas8 easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts