Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my intel P4 computer with windows XP, i lose the internet every hour at least one. Its just gone. I become disconnected and i can't ping out.
no processes are running that i'm not aware of. So its something in windows, or a hardware error or something i have never heard of!

The loss of internet occurs for 5-10 minutes. Its instantaniously on, then off, then on. I have found no way to predict it. I turned off my Firewall, didn't fix it. Turned of my DL's , didn't fix it, played no games, didn't fix it. did nothing, it still happens.

argh, so frustrating!
can anyone help?

·
Registered
698 Posts
what ISP do you use? Have you considered that its on their end?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Could it be a virus? A while ago I had one that did that, I just don't remember what its called... But My comp had the same symptoms. Now I'm internet loss free for 3 months!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DynamicPerformance

On my intel P4 computer with windows XP, i lose the internet every hour at least one. Its just gone. I become disconnected and i can't ping out.
no processes are running that i'm not aware of. So its something in windows, or a hardware error or something i have never heard of!

The loss of internet occurs for 5-10 minutes. Its instantaniously on, then off, then on. I have found no way to predict it. I turned off my Firewall, didn't fix it. Turned of my DL's , didn't fix it, played no games, didn't fix it. did nothing, it still happens.

argh, so frustrating!
can anyone help?

Congratulations you met System Pack 2,
I was having the smae problem, I tried uninstalling SP2 to rectify it and the SP2 soft uninstall did not fix the problem.

You can either reconnect to msn mesenger which will reactivate your internet connection for a temperaty resolution, or refomat the computer and reinstall WinXP wo/SP2 as a definite resolution.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznchowboy650

Do you have a router of some sort? if you do then try reseting it

The router operation did not work when I had the problem, it is an error with SP2 and for some reason attempting outside contact through msn or Windows Messanger will reopen the connection temperarily.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznchowboy650

you can check if your computer is connect even though u can't browse by going to command prompt and type ping yahoo.com or type ipconfig /all

Good reminder, you can alos do into command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" to sever your network connection then reconnect and see if that works.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
On my primary computer at work this happens i have just decided it is prolly bad NIC....its a dell so its integrated and i've had all the IT proffesionals in the office have a look at it and they have no clues actually they Tried a little less than i did so this leads me to believe that just because you went to school to learn IT
doesnt make you as smart as someone who was bon on computers

it seems completely random and im on symantec corporate version of norton so no virus should be on it..... if a new nic does the job i would recomend the same
for 5 bucks itsworth a shot

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

On my primary computer at work this happens i have just decided it is prolly bad NIC....its a dell so its integrated and i've had all the IT proffesionals in the office have a look at it and they have no clues actually they Tried a little less than i did so this leads me to believe that just because you went to school to learn IT
doesnt make you as smart as someone who was bon on computers

it seems completely random and im on symantec corporate version of norton so no virus should be on it..... if a new nic does the job i would recomend the same
for 5 bucks itsworth a shot

A new NIC will not make a difference, like I said I had the sam problem, which only cleared up after I removed all traces of XP SP2.
I beleive it may be a bug within the SP2 integrated firewall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, its not SP2, i don't have that installed.
My nic is integrated, and I tested it already, and GBE is more than 5$
testing: my lan is still up!
could be a virus, but I recently scanned.
My ISP is UCLA RESNET and no one else on my floor has the problem.

Quote:

you can check if your computer is connect even though u can't browse by going to command prompt and type ping yahoo.com or type ipconfig /all

doah... I can't connect to my ftp server!
as i said: I can't ping out.

lol... sorry guys, but no answers so far ... heh
i'll re-install

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

Good reminder, you can alos do into command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" to sever your network connection then reconnect and see if that works.

It is good to know that it is not a SP2 problem.

Have you tried the option I outlined above?

Also if that does not work then I beleieve that it would have to be a corrupt file of virus in your system.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
same problem at work on my computer.... no SP2 installed ever....
problem is intermittent so this leads me to suspect either opperating problem, or
hardware problem.... for hardware it could be EMI if your ethernet cable is coiled up uncoil it because this can cause a electromagnetic field and your nic wont be able to read any data being sent, ive had this problem before....in windows it could be a conflicting DLL i would recomend a clean install and see if this resolves your issues.... and last of all you should change your nic... if this doesnt resolve your problem it kinda leads to something deper in your hardware and i dont know if memory, or CPU are candidates for problems like this...
is your system generally stable... or are sytem locks common????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts