Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I could use some suggestions for cpu cooling an intel I7 3770k 3.5 ghz on a asus sabertoothe z77 board.. this is my first build and i pretty much have everything mapped out except this.
I am leaning towards a water cooler to save space and hopefully get good cooling results. i dont think im ready for a custom water rig so Im just hoping someone can suggest the best water cooler for my setup. I like the idea of push pull fans but again i just dont know what i really need so i am in your hands ocn. thanks.

thumb.gif
 

·
d[ o_0 ]b
Joined
·
7,317 Posts
how hard are you planning to overclock?

you can easily get a nice tower heatsink with good push/pull fans and get some pretty solid results cooling with air. i have seen countless numbers of people achieve incredible results with a nice heatsink and quality fans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
overclocking is not really a concern at the moment... with the components i chose i dont even see any need for it.... the intel I7 3770 k overclocks itself anyway
biggrin.gif
I really dont like the idea of giant aircoolers taking up half the case....which is why i was leaning towards a water cooler.

not to mention the thermal armor on the sabertoothe limits the choice of aircoolers that will fit. i tried asking about which air coolers fit on the sabertoothe z77 owners club thread but got no response...

air coolers are not completely out of question but first i would like to know what water coolers will work well with my setup before i decide to choose an air cooler. maybe a nice comparison list would help... i still have no clue which air coolers work with the sabertoothe board either if any one would like to shed some light on that i am all ears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thermaltake water 2.0 seems pretty mean.... just watched an installation video of it on the sabertoothe board so it def works.. and i like the idea that i would be using a thermaltake case,power supply and cpu cooler... all looking very good together...

Any one have any beefs with the thermaltake water 2.0 coolers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedspeed View Post

The thermaltake water 2.0 seems pretty mean.... just watched an installation video of it on the sabertoothe board so it def works.. and i like the idea that i would be using a thermaltake case,power supply and cpu cooler... all looking very good together...
Any one have any beefs with the thermaltake water 2.0 coolers?
How much do you want to spend? Theres always the Corsair H100
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
Closed loop systems like the H100 don't really perform much better than your high end air coolers, so the only reason to risk leaks (rare, but it does happen) is if you absolutely need to use ram with really tall heatsinks. You will also need to replace the fans that come with it if you want max performance without the noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velathawen View Post

Closed loop systems like the H100 don't really perform much better than your high end air coolers, so the only reason to risk leaks (rare, but it does happen) is if you absolutely need to use ram with really tall heatsinks. You will also need to replace the fans that come with it if you want max performance without the noise.
Yeah.. If he wants to hang a Massive sink off the socket then sure..
rolleyes.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im with hanover on this... i do not like the idea of the air cooler weight hanging on my 250 dollar mobo...lol... the corsair h100 is in direct competition with the water 2.0 for me.. but the water 2.0 looks cleaner imho.. not to mention going with the rest of my thermaltake setup. water 2.0 is in the shopping list as of now. seems like a nice unit... though i am aware i will end up having to replace the fans with something stronger and quieter... anyone using the TT water 2.0 pro? opinions?

Edit: I will be using corsair vengence ram which does have a heatsink on them... starting with 16 Gb but may go to 32 Gb one day. so again the air cooler idea dies a slow painful death.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoverfist View Post

Yeah.. If he wants to hang a Massive sink off the socket then sure..
rolleyes.gif
You know, for all the people who keep citing this as a terrible reason to get a big air cooler, I haven't seen a single mobo break or be damanged due to the pressure from a tower cooler. I could be reading all the wrong threads, but I seem to encounter more CLC leak/malfunction threads than tower cooler breaking mobo threads
rolleyes.gif


Anyways, steering this back on topic, the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme would be my choice over the H100. Slightly thicker rads and quieter (read: slower) fans seem like the way to go. Lots of anecdotal evidence supporting the TT being superior as well.
 

·
2 Easy
Joined
·
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velathawen View Post

You know, for all the people who keep citing this as a terrible reason to get a big air cooler, I haven't seen a single mobo break or be damanged due to the pressure from a tower cooler. I could be reading all the wrong threads, but I seem to encounter more CLC leak/malfunction threads than tower cooler breaking mobo threads
rolleyes.gif

Anyways, steering this back on topic, the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme would be my choice over the H100. Slightly thicker rads and quieter (read: slower) fans seem like the way to go. Lots of anecdotal evidence supporting the TT being superior as well.
Most air coolers just look to big and out of place.

I think at this point in time every 1 should prefer a low profile closed loop system.

The link you suggested him is a great suggestion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velathawen View Post

You know, for all the people who keep citing this as a terrible reason to get a big air cooler, I haven't seen a single mobo break or be damanged due to the pressure from a tower cooler. I could be reading all the wrong threads, but I seem to encounter more CLC leak/malfunction threads than tower cooler breaking mobo threads
rolleyes.gif

Anyways, steering this back on topic, the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme would be my choice over the H100. Slightly thicker rads and quieter (read: slower) fans seem like the way to go. Lots of anecdotal evidence supporting the TT being superior as well.
There are guys who like air and guys who like water...I really dont care what he does,, its his Decision and he sounds well Informed to me.. I am not a fan boy of Corsair or Antec close loop coolers.. Or huge Air sinks or Air all together. I am straight custom Water Period.. Everyone is entitled to there own style and Opinion..
tongue.gif
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top