Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...my dad lost his restore CD for the family eMachines.

I got the windows xp cd-key with some jelly bean key extractor thing...

so if I pop in my own windows xp cd with SP2 and put in his cd key will it work on that computer? cause I wanna reformat it, but I can't find the cd.

I just wanna make sure it'll work before I do it, cause otherwise it'll be a useless computer. Will it check for stuipd emachines software? I just want it to work right again, and a format is the only way lol.

Cookies for those who help.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
I highly doubt it because I don't think the pre-built computers have specially designed HD or anything. I know that you need to use designated RAM for the mobo and all that, but no HD issues.

Because I got a Windows XP CD from a friend when I kind of built the machine, and I used the HD from Sony VAIO. Didin't give any problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zipnogg

I highly doubt it because I don't think the pre-built computers have specially designed HD or anything. I know that you need to use designated RAM for the mobo and all that, but no HD issues.

Because I got a Windows XP CD from a friend when I kind of built the machine, and I used the HD from Sony VAIO. Didin't give any problems.


So you're saying it would work? Just install on HIS computer with MY cd....then put in the original CD-Key from his install? and that should work?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
Yeah. It should. It's like installing games. You can use the same CD over and over again as long as you have different CD key.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zipnogg

Yeah. It should. It's like installing games. You can use the same CD over and over again as long as you have different CD key.

Thanks man. Cookie for you!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by cdub998

Wooaahh. hold on one sec. Does he have pro or home on his pc?

We both have Home
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by cdub998

Cool I'd hate to see you not be able to use his key.

So there's no issues?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,460 Posts
Is your copy OEM or retail? I'm pretty sure that an OEM key from an e-machine will not work with a retail version of xp.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by pjlietz

Is your copy OEM or retail? I'm pretty sure that an OEM key from an e-machine will not work with a retail version of xp.

I bought my XP cd "OEM" from ncix. It just came with a little book about Windows or whatever and how to install, and was in a plastic sleeve. No box or nothing.

What's the difference between an OEM and a retail Disc? don't they just not give you a box?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,460 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sideburns

I bought my XP cd "OEM" from ncix. It just came with a little book about Windows or whatever and how to install, and was in a plastic sleeve. No box or nothing.

What's the difference between an OEM and a retail Disc? don't they just not give you a box?

Yup,thats about the only diff, and the keys are not interchangeable from what the techs at work say.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by pjlietz

Yup,thats about the only diff, and the keys are not interchangeable from what the techs at work say.

So if mine are both home then it'll work fine...right? Just wanna make sure...otherwise the computer will basically become unuseable...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top