Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*** happened??!!!?!?

Everything was fine, the computer all of the sudden flickered, and no USB support since then. After removing all the attached USB devices (hub, Jornada cradle, card reader), rebooted, and nothing, still no USB.

Went into the Device Manager to check what the hell is happening. There are 3 root hubs, and 2 unknown devices, plus the controller, all under the USB node.
Uninstalled everything, rebooted and let Windows do its thing. Again, no USB.

My guess is it is not software/driver issue. The mobo went to 5h!t. Any ideas how to fix this before I request a RMA?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

have you tried using the latest drivers for your mobo?

Or just try reinstalling the drivers that were supplied with the mobo in the first place...

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I see XP w/ SP2 ... hope he is not a victim of some of the many bugs in SP2 !!!

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

I see XP w/ SP2 ... hope he is not a victim of some of the many bugs in SP2 !!!

I had my share of those! But I think this is a hardware issue. I removed SP2 and still no response from the USB header. Going for the multimeter now...

The only thing different is that I added an extra fan to the case. If the PSU is crappy, there might be no power to the USB header. I'll check on that.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
My USB goes away after a failed overclocking attempt using the nVidia system utility, flash the BIOS and it should come right back

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the fan.... guess what?

USB is back!

Crappy video card and crappy PSU.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
oh well, read the article, don't skimp out on power!
man with my $120 520watt PSU I only have 11.1volts on the 12v rail...that's so pathetic...I think it's the motherboard though, same power supply performed like a champ in my Intel board with all the same hardware but a few less fans. So, I wanted to ask you, what are you voltages like with that board? justo give me an idea

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

oh well, read the article, don't skimp out on power!
man with my $120 520watt PSU I only have 11.1volts on the 12v rail...that's so pathetic...I think it's the motherboard though, same power supply performed like a champ in my Intel board with all the same hardware but a few less fans. So, I wanted to ask you, what are you voltages like with that board? justo give me an idea

This are the current voltages:

+12v: 11.712v
+5v: 5.053v
+3.3v: 3.216v
Vcore: 1.552v

They never fluctuate more than 2%. +5v was 4.867v with the fan attached. That might be an indication right there.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
PS are probably the most common problem with OCing.
Generics are always over rated so staw away from them.
Get a well known PS, there like insurance, you hate to pay the premium but are well worth it in he long run.
Antec has never let me down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts