Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a maxtor 120gb SATA for $60 at staples a few weeks ago when I was building my computer, and now I notice why it was $60...

The damn thing is SO LOUD, when it reads/writes/acesses pagefile I hear this nasty clicking. I have a 7200 Baracuda (spelling?) beside it, and that thing is SILENT, I NEVER hear clicks...

Damn maxtor and their loud drives... I cant stand it, I'm going to throw it out the window.

^^ my rant ^^

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
lol that sux man, maybe you can try to quiet it down by surrounding it in foam, then place rubber washers of some sort on the screws between the drive and the drive bay in the case, this should quiet it down a little bit so maybe it will be a little more bearable

·
Registered
688 Posts
yeh my ide 160gb maxtor is loud, makes a terrible noise while defragging.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
If it gets worse, it might mean its dying. But i doubt it since its so new.

·
Registered
975 Posts
LOL, I have a 160Gb Maxtor... you should hear the damn thing when defragging +2Gb sized files.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Maxtors are so noisy. I'm never buying one after my dad's bought three of them for the other computers. We've got a 60GB and a 15GB, and our 40GB died recently. But nothing beats how loud my 135MB Quantum SCSI drive is.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by laboitenoire

Maxtors are so noisy. I'm never buying one after my dad's bought three of them for the other computers. We've got a 60GB and a 15GB, and our 40GB died recently. But nothing beats how loud my 135MB Quantum SCSI drive is.

Oh god, stupid maxtor... It might be dying... It acts really weird... sometimes the hdd activity light will be on for 2 hours straight when my system is on idle... I might just swap for the quiet Segate Baracuda (its ATA).. but this SATA maxtor is driving me NUTS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts