Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I jsut upgraded from an mx4000 to a evga 6800xt agp. I saw a very nice increase on my a3 score from 4700 to 29000, but that still seems very low to me considering what most pople on this board are getting. I ve upgraded everything in my computer except for the MB and CPU. 2 gigs of ram, 360gigs of hd space, with the os running on a dedicated 60gig. 430w psu. I ve also done every tweak I can possibly find on the web dealing with graphics, unlocking the extra pipelines and vertex shaders, etc. My card is not wanting to oc very much, it doesnt really test positive much above the coolbits 2 "optimal settings"? Is my pentium 4 1.8ghz bottlenecking things that much? Also, with the old gpu, I was getting an average of 40fps + on HL2, now i m getting a low thirty with lots of stutter? Yet Fear runs perfectly smooth with an average frame rate of about 47 on the in game test? Any ideas? I know I m still kinda new to all of this, but I m a fast learner, and i ve done everything I could find on the web... please help!

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
It is not exactly a super fast card.

I've learned that with nVidia cards you must have GDDR3 and 256-bit mem interface, otherwise the card is not going to have such stellar performance in 3DMarks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i would have to go with CPU. also your old videocard was a DirectX 7, the 6800 is DirectX9 wich running HL2 with the new HDR can also make it lag With Your CPU Being Low.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willard_fatman

i would have to go with CPU. also your old videocard was a DirectX 7, the 6800 is DirectX9 wich running HL2 with the new HDR can also make it lag With Your CPU Being Low.

The vid card isn't that powerful to play HL2 with HDR and all the other quality settings maxed out. And, yes, the CPU is holding you back. Try a 3Dmark 2005/2006, it's being said that they don't depend that much of the CPU power.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, well, general consesus is that it IS the cpu then? Its a not a celeron, just a plain p4. I m going to be upgrading soon to an AMD Athalon64 3800 2.8with a 1g fsb. I cant afford an FX. Might possibly go pci-e then with a 7800 or something. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any ideas why I cant hardly OC my card? and also, wwhn I do, I dont see much of a performance boost on my benchmarks?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Your CPU is bottlenecking the card. You won't get much of a performance boost until you upgrade your CPU. And the only 2.8Ghz AMD is the FX60... I think you mean the 2.0GHz X2 3800+.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
what are the temps on teh crad?

The thing about low, low LOW end of a card spectrum is that you have the Crapyst Mem, and a failed GPU. 6800XT is the lowest of the 6800liine...

Reinstall HL2, most games are built around the graphics card. So, by you upgrading the graphics crad, it is still on crap GPU mode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts