Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GPU/DVD Drive/peripherals/HDD coming from previous computer so only a few components are needed.

The person who needs this mostly just needs a basic computer for browsing and such, but would like something solid with an upgrade path, and ability to game occasionally on 720p

NZXT GAMMA from amazon $36

CPU cooler: 11.20 after 15$ MIR


Amazon.com: Corsair Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler CAFA50: Electronics Amazon.com: Corsair Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler CAFA50: Electronics

PSU: $25 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026

motherboard $95 i can make shipping free:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131767

4GB DDR3 ram sticks $23 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226092

x4 630 $72 with a promotion code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103932

Any help/comments highly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Solid build right there. Provides the ability to upgrade to BD which is the major plus.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: LuckySe7ens

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
Looks good but expect the RAM to hold back an OC
This particular RAM kit (in its generic 1333 CL9 form) is particularly known to use a line of ICs that won't budge past the stock settings (resulting in hurdles if you are going to OC the rest of the system due to stuck bus clock). If you are going to OC, go with this for a few extra.

By the way, choose a different cooler. That one will only mount blowing upwards.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

Looks good but expect the RAM to hold back an OC
This particular RAM kit (in its generic 1333 CL9 form) is particularly known to use a line of ICs that won't budge past the stock settings (resulting in hurdles if you are going to OC the rest of the system due to stuck bus clock). If you are going to OC, go with this for a few extra.

By the way, choose a different cooler. That one will only mount blowing upwards.

Bah i was afraid youd say something like that. This friend isnt an overclocker at all (hes coming from a failing gateway system and i had to talk him into letting me build this for him for zero profit on my part) but ill just tell him that ram deal isnt available anymore.

I had noticed that the sticks i selected were 1.5v, was hoping id get a bit more out of them @ 1.6v. Thanks again for the advice xd

Also the A50 only mounts blowing up huh? Darn, well that shouldnt be a big deal with a case with a top exhaust fan right? otherwise im thinking 212+
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by ffejrxx
View Post

a refurb 212+ at geeks.com is $16+6.5 s/h = $22.50
best deal currently available for it

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...-B10-212P-G1-R

also its missing a gpu
what video card do you have planned for it?

if none, get a 880g board
ex.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128490

ati 4200 onboard is great for hd videos movies ect..

Good suggestion on the 212+, he has a 9600gt thats coming over from his previous computer, he almost never games on his comp anymore.


Shoot, missed out on the promo on the x4 630, maybe ill sidegrade him to a tri core phenom II 720 and save 5$... meh see what he says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
I would say go $20 more and get the x4 925 with heatsink combo. Then another $10 for Ripjaws X 1600 or XMS3 2x2gb.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
If I were doing a budget build for a friend who just need a typical net-kicking machine I would look at the Regor and Rana Series CPUs. No need for a quad core here. A faster clocked dual core would probably feel zippier for 99% of situations anyways.

As an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.682671

The builder series 430W seems to have had a pretty bad track record... unless they "fixed" it or something I wouldn't buy one.

Unless your friend plans to overclock, there is no need for an aftermarket CPU cooler. Just slap a couple extra 120mm fans in that Gamma and it'll run fine on the stock cooler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,445 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mdocod
View Post

If I were doing a budget build for a friend who just need a typical net-kicking machine I would look at the Regor and Rana Series CPUs. No need for a quad core here. A faster clocked dual core would probably feel zippier for 99% of situations anyways.

As an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.682671

The builder series 430W seems to have had a pretty bad track record... unless they "fixed" it or something I wouldn't buy one.

Unless your friend plans to overclock, there is no need for an aftermarket CPU cooler. Just slap a couple extra 120mm fans in that Gamma and it'll run fine on the stock cooler.

its cheaper buying a cpu/board combo (most are -$15)
and using the code EMCKCKC32 for $7 off the psu
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ffejrxx
View Post

its cheaper buying a cpu/board combo (most are -$15)
and using the code emckckc32 for $7 off the psu

+1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top