Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a motherboard/processor/ddr3 combo that will run me no more than $300 as I have a very low budget. I need to know what socket to go with. FM1? AM3? LGA115? LGA 2011? Which socket is going to be around the longest or be the best bang for buck? I know there's really no such thing as "Future Proof" since computer technology evolves so quickly, but i'd like whatever I purchase to stay prevelant for a year or so. So basically, I am asking what socket I should go with.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
When it comes to future proof, FM1 is out of the question, as FM1 will NOT be compatible with upcoming Trinity.

LGA2011 is out of question for you too since motherboard and CPU will exceed $300 budget limit.

Thus you are left with AM3+ and LGA1155. First, you need to know that next year Intel will be using LGA1150 for Haswell. That however, also means that Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge will be cheaper in used market. You have plenty of options for LGA1155.

Upcoming Vishera will be using AM3+, after that it is very likely that AMD will use another socket for Streamroller.

You can try to grab Phenom II X4 960T, 970 motherboard, and DDR3 combo well within $300.
You can also grab Core i3-2100, a Z68/Z77 mATX motherboard, and DDR3 combo well within $300 too.

Advantage of 960T is being a quad core CPU which means better performance on multi-thread/multi-tasking. Gaming performance will surpass i3-2100 when you OC 960T past 3.6 GHz.

Advantage of i3-2100 is easier to find, newer CPU design, power efficient, better performance at SLI/CF, and better gaming performance at stock. You also have the option to buy SB/IB i5 down the road which will blow AMD's offering overall clock to clock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For $300 your options are pretty good if you shop at the right places. I can't say enough good things about Microcenter's CPU/Motherboard combo deals.

For the socket I would say the 1155. Like you said, there isn't really a future proof, as Intel will release their new architecture in almost exactly one year from now. So the best you can do is get the most up-to-date processor. I would recommend the new Ivy Bridge i5.

I saw a deal at Microcenter for the Ivy Bridge i5 for $189 and $50 off any mobo. DD3 Memory is pretty inexpensive. $50 should be enough to get you a decent 8gb dual channel kit.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So AMD will be using AM3+ for their next Microprocessor linup, but not the next? I know Intel generally has better performance, but I am thinking I will go with an AM3+ Setup then. Do the AM3+ chipsets have USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/S without add-on chips?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
am3+. to get a decent 1155 board, you'll need to drop down to an i3, and two cores isn't very future proof. i say decent $100 am3+ board, $130 Phenom II X4/6 960T, $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and a solid 8GB kit of ddr3.

EDIT

yes 9 series chipsets have the whole sata6 usb3 thing. as of now we know for certain pildriver, to be released in October, will be am3+ and are petty sure steamroller, to be release in near the end of 2013 to also be am3+. after that, anybodys guess.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222 View Post

So AMD will be using AM3+ for their next Microprocessor linup, but not the next? I know Intel generally has better performance, but I am thinking I will go with an AM3+ Setup then. Do the AM3+ chipsets have USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/S without add-on chips?
Only SATA 6.0 Gbps, and no PCIe 3.0.

Z77 has both USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gbps (PCIe 3.0 for Ivy Bridge).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

am3+. to get a decent 1155 board, you'll need to drop down to an i3, and two cores isn't very future proof. i say decent $100 am3+ board, $130 Phenom II X4/6 960T, $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and a solid 8GB kit of ddr3.
EDIT

yes 9 series chipsets have the whole sata6 usb3 thing. as of now we know for certain pildriver, to be released in October, will be am3+ and are petty sure steamroller, to be release in near the end of 2013 to also be am3+. after that, anybodys guess.
You just fell for the more core advertisement. Please, having less core does not mean less futureproof.

Impossible for AMD to use AM3+ for Streamroller. AMD is pursuing SoC design and AM3+ is not SoC design.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What chipset even has PCI 3.0? They where talking like PCI-E 3.0 was going to take over in 2011 and I have yet to see it. From my understanding PCI-E 3.0 and DDR4 will be out sometime in 2014. The only AM3+ boards I am finding with SATA 6GB/S and USB 3.0 have a chipset without integrated graphics :/ I don't currently have a budget to pick up a graphics card at the moment and I don't have any just lying around. Although I can get my hands on a little PCI-E DVI Adapter card.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@jrl not with micro center, intel will do just fine.

i just edited my post, read it.

The i5-3570k (or any second or third gen i5) will outperform anything AMD has to offer at stock, even if the phenom or fx chip is overclocked. Plus you can get a decent oc out of the 3570k, even with the stock cooler.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
I have the same board you do in another rig, why u not putting a Phenom X6 in there for, ur board supports DDR2 and DDR3

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK so is there a H61/H67/H77/Z77/Z75 motherboard that has SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 AND the ability to use a sandy bridge CPU?? If so can someone link it to me??? Will the AM3+ Socket ever be able to use PCI-E 3.0???

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee7283 View Post

I have the same board you do in another rig, why u not putting a Phenom X6 in there for, ur board supports DDR2 and DDR3
OP's board only supports up to 95 W Phenom II X6. VRM design is too weak.
Quote:

OK so is there a H61/H67/H77/Z77/Z75 motherboard that has SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 AND the ability to use a sandy bridge CPU?? If so can someone link it to me??? Will the AM3+ Socket ever be able to use PCI-E 3.0???
Z77 motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138355

AM3+ will never use PCIe 3.0, due to the nature of its design.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
im in the opinion you should go Z77 with an i3. the i3 is pretty powerfull and leavs you with a "future proof board" with pice3 and sata6

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't forget that alot of big box retailers will match online shipped prices. So it doesn't matter if you find your parts at three different places. Just try to find the best deals you can.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so with a Z77 I can get everything I want. Possibility of PCI-E 3.0 (W/ a Sandy Bridge CPU) USB 3.0 AND SATA 6GB/S so I think that is what I will end up with. Even though Intel is going to be shying away from it I will still have all the newer technology until they drop DDR4. Z75 has PCI-3.0 USB 3.0 AND SATA 6GB/S as well?

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Quote:

OK, so with a Z77 I can get everything I want. Possibility of PCI-E 3.0 (W/ a Sandy Bridge CPU) USB 3.0 AND SATA 6GB/S so I think that is what I will end up with. Even though Intel is going to be shying away from it I will still have all the newer technology until they drop DDR4
Just so we are clear, Sandy Bridge gets you PCIe 2.0, while Ivy Bridge gets you PCIe 3.0.

You can pick up a i3-2100 then later drop in i5-3570K when you have the funds.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts