Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'll keep it short. I've been a hobbyist overclocker since 2012. That being said, I'm currently baffled by this situation. I've built two 8600k rigs for gaming, the first I built was for my friend Kyle, the second my sister. Relevant specs below. (both win 10 pro with updated bios)

Kyle:
Cpu: Intel i5 8600k
Mobo: Asus z370-Prime A
Cooler: Hyper212
RAM: G. Skill 2400mhz cl17 (2x8gb)

Sister:
Mobo: Asus Z370-E
Cooler: AIO 360mm
RAM: G. Skill 3000mhz cl15 (4x8gb)

Overclocking Kyle's (built first), prime stable 4.6ghz @ 1.225v, (44ghz uncore). Cinebench R15 score overclocked 1140. Stock with ram timings set, 1000. No multiplier or BCLK bouncing, dead stable.

Today I finished my sister's machine. Using the same (or very similar) overclocking process, I validated 4.6ghz. I benched and the score was low. I played with the voltage and clocks, and I have it stable all the way to 4.8ghz (no avx offset) I see a consistent rise in score from stock to 4.8ghz (4.4 uncore stable)

Her stock numbers are around 800. Her highest bench at 4.8ghz (4.4ghz uncore) was 1030. I tried with xmp memory timing and ******ed (default) memory timings/speed. Same results plus or minus few points between the two.

How can I be getting such wildly different scores? I'm even more baffled as my sister's has the advantage in hardware (including power supply)... I've never seen anything like this? Any ideas? I tinkered for an entire Sunday and couldn't figure it out. (Sorry for any spelling mistakes, on mobile!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey all. I'll keep it short. I've been a hobbyist overclocker since 2012. That being said, I'm currently baffled by this situation. I've built two 8600k rigs for gaming, the first I built was for my friend Kyle, the second my sister. Relevant specs below. (both win 10 pro with updated bios)

Kyle:
Mobo: Asus z370-Prime A
Cooler: Hyper212
RAM: G. Skill 2400mhz cl17 (2x8gb)

Sister:
Mobo: Asus Z370-E
Cooler: AIO 360mm
RAM: G. Skill 3000mhz cl15 (4x8gb)

Overclocking Kyle's (built first), prime stable 4.6ghz @ 1.225v, (44ghz uncore). Cinebench R15 score overclocked 1140. Stock with ram timings set, 1000. No multiplier or BCLK bouncing, dead stable.

Today I finished my sister's machine. Using the same (or very similar) overclocking process, I validated 4.6ghz. I benched and the score was low. I played with the voltage and clocks, and I have it stable all the way to 4.8ghz (no avx offset) I see a consistent rise in score from stock to 4.8ghz (4.4 uncore stable)

Her stock numbers are around 800. Her highest bench at 4.8ghz (4.4ghz uncore) was 1030. I tried with xmp memory timing and ******ed (default) memory timings/speed. Same results plus or minus few points between the two.

How can I be getting such wildly different scores? I'm even more baffled as my sister's has the advantage in hardware (including power supply)... I've never seen anything like this? Any ideas? I tinkered for an entire Sunday and couldn't figure it out. (Sorry for any spelling mistakes, on mobile!)
Just something you can check within the OS is whether or not you have the power settings to high performance or not. Probably not it, but easy to check and from what I've heard, this will make a difference. Probably not as much as you're seeing though.

Also, have you checked in task manager or services to see if something (AntiVirus, Windows Defender etc...) is running in the background that shouldn't be or could be turned off?

Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just something you can check within the OS is whether or not you have the power settings to high performance or not. Probably not it, but easy to check and from what I've heard, this will make a difference. Probably not as much as you're seeing though.

Also, have you checked in task manager or services to see if something (AntiVirus, Windows Defender etc...) is running in the background that shouldn't be or could be turned off?

Hope you get it figured out.
I already checked those, thank you for the suggestion. These are both fresh installs. Issue persists, BUMP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts