Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scenario:

My friend's PC completely dies. The Antec 380W seems to have blown up and killed everything in there. Having also heard bad things about low-end Thermaltake and Corsair power supplies, what do I use in the replacement system?

It's a single core S939 Athlon 64, 2xDDR modules, 1 hard drive, 1 optical, 1 80mm case fan and IGP for now - with a view to being upgraded to dedicated graphics\\dual core when budget allows. Since this only cost £50 to put together, I can't really justify another £50 just on the PSU at this point (yeah I know, I'm dealing with incredibly poor customers here).

Any reasonable suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
The "low end" Corsair units aren't bad.... just slightly overrated. A CX430 will work fine.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,882 Posts
Wow. I don't even....... Why would you want to get a psu for that system? I understand that it may be all your friend has to work with but I honestly feel that purchasing a PSU for that system will be a waste of funds. His best bet is to start saving for a better system.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GameBoy
View Post

The "low end" Corsair units aren't bad.... just slightly overrated. A CX430 will work fine.

The price for that is more than the PC is worth (at least where I've checked), when I account for shipping. I was thinking perhaps a used FSP but they're hard to find. Same with the Enermax EG range as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick Silver
View Post

Wow. I don't even....... Why would you want to get a psu for that system? I understand that it may be all your friend has to work with but I honestly feel that purchasing a PSU for that system will be a waste of funds.

Maybe so to you, but I don't trust a generic with this equipment. It's not exactly a Pentium III...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepyDan
View Post

Well, this psu isn't bad, and he could migrate it to a newer pc with no problems.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Pr...PSU-430W-430CX

Too bad you don't live in the US. Lots of people have spare PSU pulled from OEM. I'd send you one, but yeah...shipping.

Not bad, I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick Silver
View Post

Wow. I don't even....... Why would you want to get a psu for that system? I understand that it may be all your friend has to work with but I honestly feel that purchasing a PSU for that system will be a waste of funds. His best bet is to start saving for a better system.

I don't think it's a complete waste of money, as he could carry that CX430 over to a new rig. Not everyone needs to run 6970's or GTX 580's.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

View Post

I don't think it's a complete waste of money, as he could carry that CX430 over to a new rig. Not everyone needs to run 6970's or GTX 580's.

Well, I'd be amazed if he can afford a Geforce 7 series card, never mind those. I don't think he has any particularly demanding games anyway (he uses the Xbox 360 for newer stuff).

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,882 Posts
Quote:

View Post

This is true. I don't run those myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts