Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my system set up and decided to finish crysis. I kept holding it off till I got a better pc.
I'm running 955BE and 4850X2 2gb version on 1280x1024(sucks I know).

I'm running at high settings with the natural mod applied in Dx9 and 4xAA. So the settings can be assumed to be semi-very high.
I'm also running the 32 bit executable.
Dx10 gives me mouse lag and the 64 bit executable gives crash to desktop when launched.

I'm getting 30-40 fps, which is acceptable but it dips down into the 20s for no apparent reason. The cpu usage never really goes above 40% and the gpus usage doesnt go above 75-80%. It went into the 40s for no apparent reason.
Here is a graph displaying the various values, it was taken in the harbor map where you have to go and disable the AA units.

Gpu usage goes down and so do the fps.

I was really expecting 40+ fps at all times. Is it just that the game is very badly coded or something else?

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
The game honestly doesn't do too terribly well on Crossfire. On my rig (Opteron vs. your Phenom II...I know....), I average 29 FPS on DX10, Very High, no AA. So honestly, assuming the same settings, you'll probably average around 35-40 or so if you're lucky.

This game also has HORRIBLE microstutter with multi-GPU setups if you don't have a high enough framerate.

EDIT:
But long story short...you're expecting too much out of your 4850x2. You'll need a MUCH higher single card to have this game playable honestly.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
sounds to me like either a PSU problem or an unstable OC.

EDIT: oh yeah, that's true, i forgot about that. crysis does have microstutter problems.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EDIT: I was also on 4xAA .

But I'm only on 1280x1024 and the GPU isn't even getting loaded properly.

It would be ok if the gpu was running at its max potential, but thats not the case..

Is it like this for everybody? What is the load on your gpus in crossfire in this game?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I dont think its bad coding i think its just a resource heavy game,if you play it on a monster rig it looks good and plays well,if it was bad coding it would play bad on all rigs but it doesnt.

Try clearing you crysis folder for everything except profile and saves,get rid of all the other stuff and when you run crysis you will have to configure you graphics again,sometimes gives an improvement and is worth a try,to be honest i dont think the fps your seeing are too far from what you should expect anyway.

Edit: crysis folder in mygames!

·
Registered
460 Posts
check if your v-sync is turned on.
hope that helped

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superj1977
View Post

I dont think its bad coding i think its just a resource heavy game,if you play it on a monster rig it looks good and plays well,if it was bad coding it would play bad on all rigs but it doesnt.

Try clearing you crysis folder for everything except profile and saves,get rid of all the other stuff and when you run crysis you will have to configure you graphics again,sometimes gives an improvement and is worth a try,to be honest i dont think the fps your seeing are too far from what you should expect anyway.

Edit: crysis folder in mygames!

I just think its a bad game in general.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Well we all have opinions ,but surely you gota ask yourself,would a bad game be so well know and popular?

Anyway lets not jack this guys thread and turn it into discussion about what we think of crysis,lets try and help.......

Get that cpu/gpu cranked up i say,its bound to help your situation and show you more fps.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You have a Black Edition CPU man! Overclock it!
3.8GHz atleast. It's very doable.

Raise multiplier one at a time and do LinX/Prime95 test for an hour or so.
If it doesn't crash, raise it again 'till it does then up the voltage.
Rinse and repeat, unless you want to OC via FSB, which means you'll have to increase NB Voltage as well.

64bit OS you might have a brick wall at 4GHz, common problem for a lot of Phenom II X4s.

Tip: Apparently, if you do hit a brick wall, taking down multiplier by one (Say from 19x to 18x) and then raising the FSB helps get a higher OC.
I haven't had time to fiddle around with mine, had exams and other un-mentionable events that used up my time.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its just the second day of the system assembled. Its still lying open air on my table, have to get a case

I will overclock it once everything is in place. What is the bottleneck in my situation? The gpu isn't getting loaded fully, nor is the cpu...and the fps is so so.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Bottleneck? hmmmm,dunno really,theres not one thats sticking out in a major way,if you had say a 5970 in your machine obviously it would need faster better cpu and psu but im not too sure here as it all seems pretty well balanced,like i say i dont see an obvious culprit although technically there is always a bottleneck.

I dont know what cpu you need to prevent bottleneck with a 4850x2,but im pretty sure when you get round to overclocking the cpu that if you test fps before and after that you will see some sort of increase.

Bizzare that gpu or cpu never takes full load but does it just work like that? what about bandwidth of a card? maybe that would be a performance deciding factor aswell as the actual clock speeds,also i think a card with 128bit mem is not as good as a card with 256bit mem?maybe?

What mem bit is the 4850? i think the 4870 and 4890 are 256bit infact im sure i just sold my 4870xxx and gave my xfx 4890 to my mate.

I know that overclocking your ati card will not only just up the gpu frequency but will give you more bandwidth aswell.

I dont know about your psu,but i do know that when people say you shouldnt buy this psu,or that psu,i would advise to listen to them......if you search on here for my thread thats halway through being wrote,its about my exploding psu,search for "psu went boom" im writing this on my ps3 web browser as my system is currently down,lol.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll do some temporary software overclocking on the cpu through amd overdrive to see if I get any improvement in crysis. I don't think bandwidth is an issue, its 256 bit.

4850X2 has about the same performance as a 5850.

My psu is a good one. Its about 2 years but its good quality.

I would like someone with crossfire setup to run around in crysis for 10 minutes and log the usage of both gpus.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lurkingdevil View Post
I'll do some temporary software overclocking on the cpu through amd overdrive to see if I get any improvement in crysis. I don't think bandwidth is an issue, its 256 bit.

4850X2 has about the same performance as a 5850.

My psu is a good one. Its about 2 years but its good quality.

I would like someone with crossfire setup to run around in crysis for 10 minutes and log the usage of both gpus.
If it's as good as a 5850, Average 30-35FPS is all you should hope for.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra.../11/sapphire/6

You can see you need much bigger graphics power since Crysis is the mother of all resource heavy games.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I've run x-fire and sli rigs for some time now, and I can tell you that what you're seeing is not uncommon. I wish it were, but it's not.

Not being able to figure out why in the heck you can't get 99% gpu usage (at those times that you really need it) can really drive you bonkers.

However, one thing you should keep in mind in this equation is that every 25% of your total CPU usage represents one core if you have a quad (and no HT on). Crysis makes good use of one core, and very random use of a second core. And it doesn't touch the third and fourth. Thus, if you are seeing 25-50% total CPU usage, at any point within that range, you may start to get CPU bottlenecking.

What I'm saying here is ... you absolutely cannot conclude that because CPU usage is <100%, that you're not getting cpu-bottlenecking. So many people don't understand this. You can very easily start getting cpu BN as soon as you hit 25% total CPU load on a quad in almost any game.

The only real way to check for a CPU bottleneck is to run the exact same test twice, once with higher cpu clocks, and look at the differences in FPS, especially the min fps. The closer the % change in FPS is to the % change in CPU clocks, the more bottlenecking is happening. Of course, nothing should be extrapolated from any one test. All it means is 'what is the cpu-bottlenecking that happens on this one test ... this part of the game at these settings'. That's all ... because cpu BN's are entirely situation-dependent.

This all being said, unfortunately, there are other possible bottlenecks (both within the gfx card, and without) that can cause lower gpu usage.

Really, all that it means when your gpu usage isn't 100% is that SOMETHING outside of the GPU core itself, is restricting how fast the core runs. It could be lots of things ... not enough vram, not enough vram bandwidth, lack of ROP's or ROP efficiency, CPU, PCI-Ex bandwidth, etc.

Heck, sometimes, it's just plain old crappy driver support for the particular game.

And has has been mentioned, Xfire and Crysis have never been known to get along especially well, esp. on the 4x00 series. Scaling has always kinda sucked.

Seriously, you can drive yourself batty trying to figure out why your gpu usage isn't high when it *obviously* should be, and it would be *really friggin nice* if it was higher. I totally feel your pain, man. It's frustrated the hell out of me so many times.

So ... you're not alone, and there's probably nothing you can do about it other than to OC. Crysis is no slouch when it comes to CPU usage, so get that quad cranked up. It should HELP, at least.

Good luck ...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingdevil;9863678
So I finally got my system set up and decided to finish crysis. I kept holding it off till I got a better pc.
I'm running 955BE and 4850X2 2gb version on 1280x1024(sucks I know).

pr.png
Am sorry guys to revive this thread, but am having troubles with a 4850x2 with the same BIOS version

am trying to flash it with RBE, but ) make a mistake, I don't realize to make a bios backup for the both gpus, and that's my deal...

I have a 4850x2, as simple as a 4850... bad situation

is it anyway, that you still have both bios (master/slave)????

I do read the Official 4850x2 thread, page 172 post 1757, where ricco say how to make it happend, but I don't know what the hell when wrong

a little direction please, anyone?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts