Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only getting 30 - ish fps in crysis.
vsyinc off all very high 1920 x 1080

Shouldn't I be getting 60?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Do you have any programs running in the background?

Did you update video drivers?

·
Premium Member
7,949 Posts
How much aa and af do you have on?

·
Jayce
3,767 Posts
More importantly, what's your GPU usage while you're playing? If you're using Precision or Afterburner, toggle the On-screen display. If you're below 50% GPU usage, your Q6600 is bottlenecking your GTX 480.

I don't want to open up Pandora's Box by stating that a Q6600 can bottleneck a single 480, but that's right, I said it (but of course I have my own personal experience to back up that statement).

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If you havent already, make sure that you update crysis to its lastest version (1.21, i think). I found that I received a major FPS increase after updating crysis. (eg: from 19 FPS-40 FPS)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
His processor shouldn't be bottlenecking Crysis. My GPU, for a prime example, gets about 90-95% load when playing Crysis. So it's definitely NOT his CPU.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
I'm not really surprised, and that sounds about right. Judging from your sig rig and resolution, 30FPS sounds just about right, especially if you're also increasing/adding motion blur/shadows into effect. Also of course AA comes into play, etc.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
someone needs to donate this game to me

i wanna see how it looks like on my rig maxed

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germanian
View Post

Probably like everyone else that has maxed it out.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
A GTX 480 at those settings, with a overclock of ~850 core should be getting 40-50 FPS tops while gaming and on the benchmark.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germanian
View Post

i need to see what it looks like maxed out on my rig. it would probably be like looking at a slideshow. dont have to worry about blur though

·
Jayce
3,767 Posts
He's not going to max it out at a constant 60 FPS even with 2 480s because that Q6600 is bottlenecking his SLI setup BIG TIME.

I really don't want to go into specifics, but I had a Q9550 @ 3.8 Ghz with my 470s and I didn't get above 40-45% usage with both cards in most of the games I played.

Fast forward to my i7 930 setup, and the performance isn't even close. 60 FPS constant @ 1920x1200, IQ settings at the highest levels and AA anywhere from 4x - 32x (BFBC2). VSYNC on of course. With VSYNC off...we're talking in the high 90s/100s in terms of FPS for most games.

As i've been preaching for some time now, if you're going to run a pair of DX11 Radeon 5000/GTX 400 series cards, you're going to need an i7 or X6 and a decent OC to really realize a multi-card config's potential. A Core2Quad/X4 is not going to feed a pair of the aforementioned cards enough to max out performance in most games.

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
His cpu is a massive bottleneck. I had my 2 running with an amd 965 at 4ghz an would only manage 41 fps avg. When I went i7 an overclocked it my fps jumped to over 60.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
It depends where you are in the game. If you're expecting 60fps EVERYwhere on Very High, even with SLI 480's, it's not going to happen. It doesn't even happen on my rig w/an i7 at 4.2GHz. There are certain (albeit brief) parts where I'm in the 30's with 1920x1200 VH 4xAA.

Also, yeah ... the q6600 can be a bottleneck in Crysis when you have SLI 480's to go along with it. Crysis is no slouch when it comes to CPU-dependency. If you even want to think about a steady 60fps on Very High mode, you need some serious CPU-foo going on.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedbacks, everyone! It's weird that Crysis needs a i7 core,
because i7 weren't even around when the game came out,
and I thought O/C'ing to 3.5GHz is supposed to get rid of bottlenecks ...

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by |\\/|0D3R|\\|♠\\/\\/4R|=4R3♠2
View Post

Thanks for the feedbacks, everyone! It's weird that Crysis needs a i7 core,
because i7 weren't even around when the game came out,
and I thought O/C'ing to 3.5GHz is supposed to get rid of bottlenecks ...

Its not the game that needs it, its your video cards. They need the information sent to them faster than your q6600 can send it to them which is why they need a i7

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by muels7
View Post

Its not the game that needs it, its your video cards. They need the information sent to them faster than your q6600 can send it to them which is why they need a i7

Then how do you substantiate 90%+ both GPU utilization in Metro 2033?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts