Samsung 80 Gb harddrive<br />
BFG Geforce 7900 GT OC<br />
2.00 Gb DDR400 Ram<br />
MSI K8N Neo4<br />
Antec Truepower 480 W duel 12 volt rail<br />
Acer 19' LCD , Logitech G15 , Logitech Precision gaming headset<br />
Logitech MX518 mouse,Thermaltake Soprano case<br />
<br />
thats my rig. Now when I play bf2 or bf 2142, I set everything to high and play at the highest possible resolution. Why am I gettin 16+ FPS?(although mostly near 25, just on some maps) when a friend of mine running on a 3.2 Ghz, Thermaltake TR2 550W Power Supply, same gfx card as me gets 40+? Can this be my PSU? and how do refresh rates work..do I have to set it as the same in game as I have on my desktop(60)? thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I can tell you right now that its not your PSU.... you say your friend has an Intel or AMD running at 3.2ghz? It could also be you are running it at a higher resolution then him.. are you sure you both have the same settings and all?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>guitar22891</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I can tell you right now that its not your PSU.... you say your friend has an Intel or AMD running at 3.2ghz? It could also be you are running it at a higher resolution then him.. are you sure you both have the same settings and all?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I'll check, and does it have anything to do witht he fact i've got the game installed on a different HD than my windows? I really don't know why but yeah, not it's worst, 13 FPS....how the heck am I suppose to sniple like that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try to play C:SS or a simple game, BF2 is a more resource required one. Also drivers since i have kind of a similar problem. reinstall the drivers or try older ones and not the newest one out and see if that helps. if all else fails then swap your video card into your friends and test if it is the video card.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>Big Boss 0707</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Try to play C:SS or a simple game, BF2 is a more resource required one. Also drivers since i have kind of a similar problem. reinstall the drivers or try older ones and not the newest one out and see if that helps. if all else fails then swap your video card into your friends and test if it is the video card.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>I swapped with a friends 7900GTX. tested FPS on DoDS. Ran the same processes. his GTX runs 20 FPS lower on my system.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Er...<br />
<br />
If your friend has a GT<b>X</b> and you have a GT, there wil be a differnce.<br />
<br />
Never wondered why the GTX was £400 and the GT £250?<br />
<br />
16 FPS is alot lower than it should be. Do you have othre crap running in the background? Try setting Dynamic light and shadows to medium instead of high. No noticeable difference, and gives a large fps boost. I have them off, and get a good 50~70FPS.<br />
<br />
Also, your internet connection, and the server you are playing on will greatly affect the amount of lag you get.<br />
<br />
My PC gets good FPS, but if i go in a server with a ping of over 150, it will lag like hell.<br />
<br />
Lower ping/latency = better.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
I'd overclock your CPU a bit if possible, but also check how many processes you have running in the task manager. You'll want a good amount of memory free for BF2, and as few processes as possible. If you have more than 30, then you may have junk on your system that needs cleaning.<br />
<br />
What sort of background programs do you run?

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Do you have Norton Antivirus? Cause that can be a huge huge resource hog. And also check all your services and programs running when you are playing. Also run cccleaner and that might help a little bit.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
The only thing i can think of off the top of my head, is your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU. IDK maybe try increasing your CPU speed?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've OC the CPU to 2.53 GHz. I'll try to get higher tomorrow. Im running 1 Gb ram instead of 2 now. I did notice a little difference on some games, but games like DoDs had no improvement.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Don't start overclocking yet, I noticed you said at the highest settings and highert resolution.<br />
<br />
What exact resolution are you using? Cause if you're running it near the 2000 range it'll definintely slow you down some...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in BF2 I run at 19xx @ xxxx resloution(BF2142)(19' LCD)...can't remember which one. im running 1.5 Gb ram, 2.53 GHZ CPU. and when I lower settings, I see no difference. I can set everything to low, turn everything off, and still roughly the same FPS.<br><br>
V Sync is off, I can get more than 60. On 64 player servers....the FPS drops lower then 20 sometimes.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im gettin my rig ready for a 8800 GTS. which PSU?<br />
<br />
Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO 550W ATX12V 120MM FAN 4 SATA 2 PCIE FCC<br />
<br />
or<br />
<br />
Thermaltake ToughPower W0097RU 550W w/14cm Fan Power Supply (Black)

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Does he have 2 GB of RAM? If so, BF2 and 2142 are notorious for loving lots of RAM, and that could be the difference. Or if he has an X-Fi sound card, that is also known to increase FPS. But since you have 1.5 GBs, it probably isn't running in Dual Channel, and if it's 4 sticks, that puts an unnecessary load on AMD CPUs with their onboard memory controller.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah someone told me that, so I tried 1 GB Duel Channel and It's just not enough, the game will lag because the my G15's LCD display tells me the RAM usage is at 98%. I did however notice a gain in FPS with 1 GB. But I tried a friends OCZ Platinum 1 Gb kit and it still performs the same. OC'in the CPU .3 (all I can get on this ram) does help boost FPS. However a friend of mine, also 7900 GT, 2 GB Kingmax (2X1 GB) 3.2 GHZ oc'd to 3.5 GHZ always getter around 10 more FPS then me.<br />
Im using 3x 512 Kingston.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts