Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well, at least it is now pegging the GPU.

You are getting expected performance given the power limit, and the resolution you are running.
in rise of tomb raider, i'm seeing 55% max usage by the 3060. and the gpu never go past 80watt. this is a 130watt 3060 so i'm not hitting the limits,it's almost as if the 3060 is not fully utilized ...the thing that bother me is the high usage of that intel igpu. in shadow of tomb raider i'm seeing full utilization of the gpu but still a sub par score compared to scores all over the internet.
Remember, a Titan X maxwell gets beaten by an overclocked 1060 6gb in some scenarios, and beaten pretty easily by a gtx 1070 8gb.
in this case the titan beat 3060:LOL:

here is the screen shot of gpu z, i don't know if the device id is different cause i never own a desktop 3060. the memory is definitely not shared
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I also noticed how you hit 110-120 watts of gpu power.

the 3060 has more vram, and is factory spec'd to 170 watts.

I think that solves a lot of the eprformance issues you think you have.

Think of it performing like it is only 75% or so.
i know it's slower than a desktop 3060 but against 7 year old gpu?(titan x maxwell) it's just not right.. something is hogging down this gpu, and i gotta figure it out
Rectangle Font Slope Screenshot Parallel

Rectangle Font Electronic device Screenshot Multimedia

·
Graphics Junkie
4,062 Posts
Your shadow of the tomb raider benchmark looks perfectly normal. Whatever is happening in the witcher 3 on your laptop, its not happening in tomb raider.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i guess Ultramega is the only other sane person in this thread other than the OP, holy crap guys. if his laptop runs over 100fps by using an external display how is that a RAM problem???

it's happening in rise of tomb raider,even in shadow of tomb raider i should get around 60-70 fps with built in display.
I would contact the mfg and ask them how to prevent the IGPU from being used in games. I wish i could help you more but laptops are not something i play around with much at all. and certainly not anything recent. But you dont NEED ram that is for sure 🤪

·
Graphics Junkie
4,062 Posts
it's happening in rise of tomb raider,even in shadow of tomb raider i should get around 60-70 fps with built in display.
Despite the frame rate, your GPU is being utalized normally in tomb raider and also apparently when you play the witcher 3 on an external monitor.

When I read about the issues people were having in the witcher 3 that seemed to be the same as your issue, someone said running in boarderless windowed mode solved the problem. Maybe using a different monitor also bypasses the issue for some reason.

·
Graphics Junkie
4,062 Posts
i guess Ultramega is the only other sane person in this thread other than the OP, holy crap guys. if his laptop runs over 100fps by using an external display how is that a RAM problem???

I would contact the mfg and ask them how to prevent the IGPU from being used in games. I wish i could help you more but laptops are not something i play around with much at all. and certainly not anything recent. But you dont NEED ram that is for sure 🤪
Based on what I read its just an issue with the witcher 3. Other games should behave normally.

·
Graphics Junkie
4,062 Posts
Sounds like you may not be able to disable optimus?? if that turns out to be true i would return that laptop and get something else. My guess i you can disable it some how but i really cant say for sure :/

Edit: found this - How to turn off Optimus on your Gaming Laptop - Jarrod's Tech.
Ah interesting. I hadn't heard of Optimus before. Definitely sounds like that's the issue. Also explains why it seemed like a physx issue.

I'm still kinda confused by how Optimus works. It doesn't seem like running games purely off the IGP but still the IGP is bottlenecking the GPU somehow. Very weird.

·
Still kinda lost
3,697 Posts
Don't apply desktop logic as some are trying to.
Lets address most of the problems first and for all:

1- if your CPU is pulling more than 45+watts then its not throttling even if it hits 100degrees (Every vendor changes their max wattage and max temps for their own chassis)
2- dual channel ram will help a lot specially with optimus only laptops (Where you cant use the dGPU directly)
3- an external monitor will boost FPS dramatically for Esport games and a little for AAA games (In optimus mode)
4- compare your laptop results to similar models and not other similarly spec'd machines as in the laptop world there are 100s of configuration for the same GPU and CPU from clocks/power limits to boosting behavior.
5- It says yours is a MAX-Q so wattage can vary from 60w to 120w depends on the vendor's configration.
6- In laptops 100% saturation of either CPU or GPU are not how measure if a machine running at full performance.

I didn't go over the full thread but here are some tips I can share with you.

1- Use a stand for your laptop to breath (X laptop stand is more than enough no need for external fans)
2- I recommend using DDU to uninstall Nvidia's and Intel's Drivers and installing the latest (Install Intel then restart, Install Nvidia then restart)
3- A curve on the GPU can lower the temps dramatically as 99% of laptops have shared heat pipes
4- Undervolt your CPU by -100mv (Some 10th gen CPUS won't allow this from the vendor so you need some modding, I am welling to guide you through it)
5- Lock your all core turbo to 4Ghz or even 3.9Ghz as the lower temps will give better CPU and GPU utilization and better FPS in the end.
6- Make sure you are using high power profile in windows and your vendor's software (A lot of laptops won't run at full wattage unless the max fan option is toggled)

if you are running single channel ram then I recommend getting a 2x16gb (3200mhz 1.2v JEDEC) low TRFC 1x8 kit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDLaptops/comments/j29rpt good resource for which ram to get, yes they will work on your machine)

These laptop CPUs are a huge bottleneck for the GPUs, Clock stretching is a thing and a lot of these laptops will show 4Ghz + with high wattage but utilization is on the low side.

·
Still kinda lost
3,697 Posts
Man I can't believe people are still bring up the ram here. Having a better ram situation would help optimus if the OP wanted to improve IGPU performance but the point is to run off the DGPU which has its own ram. The ram is not the reason Optimus is running games on the wrong GPU.
It is what it is my dude, I have used 25+ laptop models in the past 4 years and optimus strict laptops with single channel ram get kneecapped in a lot of games.

The ram is not the reason Optimus is running games on the wrong GPU.
Intel GPU can't run the game at 60+fps.

It is funny how little you know, but you are so sure about everything.

Most hybrid graphics implementations use a muxless design which means the screen is directly wired to iGPU.

The dGPU does the rendering and then the frame buffer is sent through PCIe and into the RAM into the iGPU and into the screen.

A single channel ram will severely limit the performance of the dGPU as there won't be enough bandwidth across the whole chain.

It is verifiable by bypassing optimus entirely by plugging an external monitor in which the frame buffer goes straight into the screen instead of getting copied into the RAM.

A dual-channel memory will double the amount of bandwidth across the whole chain and will improve the performance. It will not be the same 1:1 performance as running it on an external display due to some overhead.

This is a fairly accurate description of the problem.

·
Graphics Junkie
4,062 Posts
It is funny how little you know, but you are so sure about everything.

Most hybrid graphics implementations use a muxless design which means the screen is directly wired to iGPU.

The dGPU does the rendering and then the frame buffer is sent through PCIe and into the RAM into the iGPU and into the screen.

A single channel ram will severely limit the performance of the dGPU as there won't be enough bandwidth across the whole chain.

It is verifiable by bypassing optimus entirely by plugging an external monitor in which the frame buffer goes straight into the screen instead of getting copied into the RAM.

A dual-channel memory will double the amount of bandwidth across the whole chain and will improve the performance. It will not be the same 1:1 performance as running it on an external display due to some overhead.
No matter how many time you say it, ram is not the reason games are running on the wrong GPU. Its such a rediculus suggestion. His games run fine on an external monitor because it run on the correct GPU that way. That should tell you for sure its not a ram issue if you use any amount of common sense.

·
Still kinda lost
3,697 Posts
No matter how many time you say it, ram is not the reason games are running on the wrong GPU. Its such a rediculus suggestion. His games run fine on an external monitor because it run on the correct GPU that way. That should tell you for sure its not a ram issue if you use any amount of common sense.
the intel GPU in there can't run a potato at 60fps+ FHD

And trust me I know
V
Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Graphics Junkie
4,062 Posts
It is what it is my dude, I have used 25+ laptop models in the past 4 years and optimus strict laptops with single channel ram get kneecapped in a lot of games.

Intel GPU can't run the game at 60+fps.

This is a fairly accurate description of the problem.
Again, games work fine when they run on the correct GPU. Nothing about the ram is going to change that.

You're both ignoring the fact that the OPs laptop works perfectly when he hooks it up to an external monitor which forces the correct GPU to be used.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts