Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been having issues w/ low GPU utilization, in the 66% area on WU's received.

I have reinstalled the client.
Removed and re-added the GPU in the client.

Low utilization shows up in MSI Afterburner and HWinfo. Only change I have made recently was upgrading from a 3800X to a 3900XT. CPU and GPU are both set at -1 (let the client decide). Are there certain WU's being sent out that just aren't using 100% of the GPU?

Rig in signature.

·
Rig Advisor
2,233 Posts
Recently I have been having issues w/ low GPU utilization, in the 66% area on WU's received.

I have reinstalled the client.
Removed and re-added the GPU in the client.

Low utilization shows up in MSI Afterburner and HWinfo. Only change I have made recently was upgrading from a 3800X to a 3900XT. CPU and GPU are both set at -1 (let the client decide). Are there certain WU's being sent out that just aren't using 100% of the GPU?

Rig in signature.
Start at the lowest level, is the "Folding Power" slider moved all the way to the right in the [email protected] client to "Full"? Is your GPU getting 16/8/4x? Is your card overheating and getting throttled?

*Edit: Also noticed you had an EVGA GPU, download the latest X1 client and make sure you are giving her enough juice (Power slider all the way to the right).

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Avacado,

Looks like it is just certain WUs that are underutilizing the GPU. Folding Power slider is moved all the way to the right, GPU is @ 16X and Power Slider is at 100%, GPU temps are good, usually around 70c at load. Seems to be dependent upon the WU the GPU is getting, yesterday I saw one WU that would only hit 66% utilization, then the very next WU worked as normal pegging the GPU at 96% usage. Currently working on one and it is at 96% usage, must just be something WU related.

·
Rig Advisor
2,233 Posts
Hey Avacado,

Looks like it is just certain WUs that are underutilizing the GPU. Folding Power slider is moved all the way to the right, GPU is @ 16X and Power Slider is at 100%, GPU temps are good, usually around 70c at load. Seems to be dependent upon the WU the GPU is getting, yesterday I saw one WU that would only hit 66% utilization, then the very next WU worked as normal pegging the GPU at 96% usage. Currently working on one and it is at 96% usage, must just be something WU related.
Very interesting, first I have heard of it. Perhaps you can note the WU or screen it

You also added the string?

Client-type Advanced

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Working from home, quick screen cap of a low utilization WU.

Attachments

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very next WU, 100% WU.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
In my experience this is perfectly normal depending on the work unit. Some WU's have a smaller atom count and thus are not able to fully utilize more powerful cards such as a 2080 Ti. For example, the newer 134xx projects typically run in the 75-80% utilization range for me on my 2080 Ti's, but there are some that seem broken and will run at about half that utilization getting very low PPD. The core the WU is running on can make a big difference too. A vast majority of current projects are based on Core 22, but sometimes you'll get a Core 21 which will usually be much lower PPD, though not necessarily lower utilization. I have a garbage WU right now that is in the 55-60% utilization range, just part of the game.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
In my experience this is perfectly normal depending on the work unit. Some WU's have a smaller atom count and thus are not able to fully utilize more powerful cards such as a 2080 Ti. For example, the newer 134xx projects typically run in the 75-80% utilization range for me on my 2080 Ti's, but there are some that seem broken and will run at about half that utilization getting very low PPD. The core the WU is running on can make a big difference too. A vast majority of current projects are based on Core 22, but sometimes you'll get a Core 21 which will usually be much lower PPD, though not necessarily lower utilization. I have a garbage WU right now that is in the 55-60% utilization range, just part of the game.
Hopefully that unit and it's partner see some optimization and/or adjustment before they get pushed out of beta.

It's not all about chasing points, but WUs that put out < 25% of the average ppd for a GPU would be pretty frustrating to see as a regular volunteer. :2cents:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hopefully that unit and it's partner see some optimization and/or adjustment before they get pushed out of beta.

It's not all about chasing points, but WUs that put out < 25% of the average ppd for a GPU would be pretty frustrating to see as a regular volunteer. :2cents:
That particular unit was indeed a beta unit, though I have observed many terrible PPD units "in the wild" recently too. The 134xx units are either fine or complete garbage. Had one yesterday that netted me an awesome 632k PPD on an overclocked 2080 Ti with ~40% utilization. :doh:

It can certainly be frustrating.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
That particular unit was indeed a beta unit, though I have observed many terrible PPD units "in the wild" recently too. The 134xx units are either fine or complete garbage. Had one yesterday that netted me an awesome 632k PPD on an overclocked 2080 Ti with ~40% utilization. :doh:

The 134XX units are all or nothing for me. Either they instantly blow up or they complete successfully.

I am totally fine with those being a bit rough. The project that those WUs are contributing to is an incredible open science initiative. There really isn't anything else quite like it. Whether or not any therapeutics are ultimately developed, that project really embodies the essence of volunteer computing, and how we can all be citizen scientists.

COVID Moonshot - https://covid.postera.ai/covid

·
Rig Advisor
2,233 Posts

I learned that lesson the hard way, I don't fold during the foldathon with the -beta tag for those reasons specifically. I got tired of failed WU's and shoddy collection servers back when the COVID WU's first got added.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts