Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redmist had me thinking about my family computer its a pos but it could defenitly take a pci-e card. ive been on the forums for a lil while now never got into the whole folding scene reall until just now. i was just wondering if anyone knows of any good low profile folding cards let me know Thanks

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Millillion
View Post

This would be the best low-profile you can get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0low%20profile

WOW i had no clue thay made a 9600gt LP anything a little bit cheaper? i wont even be touching the computer once i install everything all up i tought i would do this tho since the pcs on alllllll the time

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YOSHIBA
View Post

WOW i had no clue thay made a 9600gt LP anything a little bit cheaper? i wont even be touching the computer once i install everything all up i tought i would do this tho since the pcs on alllllll the time

Well, that's the only low profile 9600 GT I've ever heard of and I doubt they would be cheaper because of the fact that it has to be made low profile.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalKenny
View Post

Agreed

thirded... there aren't any low profile cards better than that, and anything else would not be worth folding on... you could consider cards like the 8400 GS, but the number of PPD's it puts out is not worth it at all...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabermetrics
View Post

you'll probably only get around 800ppd with the 8500 GT... unless you don't mind spending the money, I would personally save up for something else (maybe a new folding rig in the future?)

yea... what pushes everyone to fold and fold and spend and fold? i know the cause, the prizes. what is it tho the competition?

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
uh.. yoshiba.. go with the xfx 9600GSO OC'd it should net you atleast 5k PPD. and if can get a voltmod to it, it'd even hit 6K PPD.
link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150320

when looking for a folding card, i would not go anything lower than 8800GS or 9600GSO.

reasons to fold can vary from family, to just points, to the competition. i do it most for family but i love the competition!

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YOSHIBA
View Post

yea... what pushes everyone to fold and fold and spend and fold? i know the cause, the prizes. what is it tho the competition?

well, I fold for the medical reason, though the competition is a bonus...

the competition is based on whoever is in the top 40 ppd producers (based on the 24 hour average) in OCN for 2 hours or more within the month... you'll need around 6,500 PPD 24hr average just to be close to the top 40... after that, a random draw picks the winners who are eligible

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
9600GT will not get you as much PPD than 9600GSO. just thought i'd let you know that before you decide on getting a card. it might perform better in games but when it comes to folding, it gets smashed.

and i think as of right now, the best person you can get info on cards would be CL3P20, hit him up with a pm.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy
View Post

9600GT will not get you as much PPD than 9600GSO. just thought i'd let you know that before you decide on getting a card. it might perform better in games but when it comes to folding, it gets smashed.

and i think as of right now, the best person you can get info on cards would be CL3P20, hit him up with a pm.

Yeah, but I don't think there is a low-profile 9600GSO.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Quote:

View Post

i just posted one in one of my posts up above when i mentioned the xfx card.

he needs a low profile card though... the XFX one you posted is a standard size graphics card...

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
low profile is pretty relative though... i'm pretty sure that won't obstruct any other cards in the system. it isn't a dual slot i can tell you that, as my 8800GT uses the same cooler.

and if you compare the dvi port view in newegg for both. they are the same size.

edit: hmm. maybe i was thinknig differently for low profile.. i was thinking how thick it was. not the width of the card. if its the width of the card then i'm in the wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,951 Posts
Quote:

View Post

now that card is definitely not low profile.

Neither is the one you posted. Low profile isn't a single-slot card. Low profile cards are probably half the height of a standard profile card.

Low profile card

Standard profile card

1 - 20 of 27 Posts