Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 8x4GB sticks of RAM in my 1U server (DDR2 ECC RDIMMs - Dual Ranked). Soon I will be putting the entire server under water to vent heat outdoors.

I will absolutely have to WC the RAM and since this is a 1U server, I haven't got much room to work with.

Height is an issue!

I keep hitting dead ends with possible ram waterblocks so I could use a little help.

Entire loop to be 3/8 ID 1/2 OD.

2x Apogee GTX LP's
2x MCP 355's w/XSPC tops

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
you just need a board where the ram slots are firther away.

i got som muskin ram with teh huge heatsinka nd now my fan for my CPU is half off the heatsink.. Well not half off but it feels that way.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing board and case are not an option as they already exist.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not sure I follow why you require RAM to be watercooled?

Servers typically have really high flowing fans since they sit in data centers and don't care about noise levels. DDR2 doesn't get very hot, even ECC. Given that your RAM DIMMS run with the airflow from your server fans, this should be enough to keep them plenty cool. I guess the bigger question is why you are watercooling a 1U server when they are designed to operate with the installed server fans?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You understand how loud those server fans are correct? That is the reason. With the fans running at what sounds like a jet engine, the ram itself is quite toasty to the touch. I am watercooling the entire thing because I am a nut who likes to vent the heat outdoors.

I suppose there are not any low profile ram coolers.

·
Prince of all Saiyans
4,196 Posts
Undervolt the ram modules hardcore, if you lose stability loosen the timing/FSB. It'll be more cost effective to purchase highCFM fans w/lower decibel ranges...

GL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts