Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my intel SSD used to score 7.6 when it was first plugged in 1 month ago. Last week, I somehow had to reinstall Windows 7 and when I run the WEI score again, I only got 5.9 for HDD. After reading some SSD optimization guides, I did the evaluation test again and got 6.3.

I'm wondering what's wrong with my SSD? Although I understand that WEI score is nowhere near accuracy, yet there must be a reason why I got such a low score like that.

Will + Rep for all suggestions, thanks all in advance.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would check the speeds with HD Tune and not worry about your WEI score as that is a useless test anyways.

• Rep+
Reactions: goldbranch

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
WEI is not a good tool to benchmark, but it is not poorly coded software.

It should score the same hardware the same way every time.
Give Microsoft some credit.

OP, is trim enabled?

Download the intel toolbox, run the optimizer (should only take a second or two if trim has been working), and then run wei again.

• Rep+
Reactions: goldbranch

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukic View Post
My score use to be 7.8 when I was running ssd alone. When I installed a 1tb hdd, it went down to 7.4

Yea, I read somewhere that WEI takes all drives into consideration. So do we actually have a way to set the ssd as a main drive (bios? disable 1tb hdd...?) so that the WEI score will be based on the ssd drive only?

I found it weird coz this ssd used to score 7.6 1 month ago and that was with the 1tb hdd already installed. The ssd is always used as an OS drive so there's really nothing changed, except the WEI score.

·
Premium Member
3,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldbranch View Post
Yea, I read somewhere that WEI takes all drives into consideration. So do we actually have a way to set the ssd as a main drive (bios? disable 1tb hdd...?) so that the WEI score will be based on the ssd drive only?

I found it weird coz this ssd used to score 7.6 1 month ago and that was with the 1tb hdd already installed. The ssd is always used as an OS drive so there's really nothing changed, except the WEI score.

7.6 is a high as mine has been and thats in AHCI, without it its around 7.3 and this is with a 1TB green plugged in. You should bench it with "AS SSD Benchmark" HDTune won't tell you much, and there's a thread on here full of AS SSD benchmark results for you to compare to.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
wIE gives you a score based on primary HDD or SSD, with my rapotor and c300 i get a 7.9, now i wouldnt get tht if it was benching the raptor in anyway. BUT my original score was 5.9, then installed marvell console drivers (not drivers for C300, i use msahci) and the score shot to 7.9. I think it looks to see if you have proper drivers installed.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Well explain it... not really me... Microsoft could...

I can read the labels and guess at how they get the data.

I've put in bold which of yours are slower ... but you really need someone with an X25-V to test against.

What was the overall score it was giving you, 6.3... perhaps it's not testing the correct drive... what's your other drive?

Sequential reads are decent at 228 MB/s, gleaning you 7.4 on their scale
Random 16KB reads are good at 188.42 MB/s, a 7.7 (near max score)
Responsiveness tests:
Average IO Rate 2.94 ms/IO (i guess this is how long an Input or Output takes on average...
Grouped IOs (don't know what this means)
Long IOs (don't know what this means)
Overall (don't know what this means)
PenaltyFactor (it's always 0... in all the tests I've seen)
Disk Sequential 64.0 Write -- 40.82 MB/s is fairly slow, but normal for an X25-V
Average Read Time with Sequential Writes in the 7s so that's got to be good
Latency: 95th Percentile -- bit slower here not sure what it means
Latency: Maximum -- actually looks pretty good since MS gives you 7.9
Average Read Time with Random Writes -- also a 7.9

here is mine for comparison (X25-M, so writes a bit faster)

Code:

Code:
> Disk  Sequential 64.0 Read                   250.85 MB/s          7.5
> Disk  Random 16.0 Read                       196.14 MB/s          7.7
> Responsiveness: Average IO Rate              1.90 ms/IO          7.1
> Responsiveness: Grouped IOs                  11.79 units          6.8
> Responsiveness: Long IOs                     7.04 units          7.6
> Responsiveness: Overall                      83.04 units          6.9
> Responsiveness: PenaltyFactor                0.0
> Disk  Sequential 64.0 Write                  81.95 MB/s          6.2
> Average Read Time with Sequential Writes     0.500 ms          7.9
> Latency: 95th Percentile                     2.285 ms          7.5
> Latency: Maximum                             2.981 ms          7.9
> Average Read Time with Random Writes         0.603 ms          7.9
> Total Run Time 00:01:12.46

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

My other drive is 1TB Samsung F3.
Anyone knows how to set my SSD as primary drive and WEI would be based on it only?
Well I wouldn't worry about WEI personally, if you want a nice screenshot with it, just edit your results files.

If you like, click the "View and print detailed performance and system information" link below the score and it will show your "primary" hard drive size which should give you a clue as to which one it thinks is "primary"

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I don't know how but I ran the test again 5 mins ago and got 7.6
I have not changed anything so far and this WEI score really f*cked me up.

Thanks again for all suggestions. +Rep for all.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Quote:

Ok, I don't know how but I ran the test again 5 mins ago and got 7.6
I have not changed anything so far and this WEI score really f*cked me up.

Thanks again for all suggestions. +Rep for all.

yes the wei is really stupid

my c300 is scoring a 5.9 for some reason and i ran as test on it again n it scores the same as before

1 - 20 of 25 Posts