Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Recently I added a second pair of 2GB Dominator sticks to my setup for a total of 8GB. As expected, I was unable to run all four sticks at their stock (1066MHz) speed at the stock voltage. Rather than risk damaging them with overvolting, I decided to underclock them to match my FSB speed. I was able to tighten the timings to 4 4 4 12 from the stock 5 5 5 15 to make up for some of the speed loss, and I hope to be able to lower them a bit more.

Here's the question, though. With the lower clock speed and given the tighter timings, should I reduce the voltage from the stock 2.10v?

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
The chips were designed to run at 2.1v so it's pretty pointless to undervolt them. I don't know about you but I've never heard of ram overheating.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, thanks again for the advice! It seems like that did the trick!

Northbridge voltage set to 1.45v and all four sticks are running at stock speed and voltage! That gave me an extra 1GB of bandwidth for a total of 5GB/s!

Thanks again! +REP

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by microman
View Post

i would try bumping that ram speed that ram should do at least 1100mhz if not more. just bump the ram voltage to 2.2 or 2.3 and goto it

Nope, those are Powerchips and they don't scale with voltage. 2.0v 5-5-5-15 should get you to 1066 or higher without issue. However your mobo may hold you back.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you are running 800 FSB with 4,4,4,12 you should be able to drop the voltage to 1.8v. According to the timing tables mine came with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts