Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if , i could make a box(thick sound dampening material inside) for the pump , to isolate all the noise coming from it. I guess the pump won't overhat ,since water is circulating inside the pump itself . Am i right ?

PS:
I dont have pump yet, will build WCooling in near future . Before i had 2 system with Alphacool D5 and Phobya DC260 pumps , both were too loud for my taste. This is why im planning sound dampening box now.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Did you try isolating the pump from the case? D5 dumps most of the heat to the coolant but not all. I not 100% sure about total enclosing the pump. I don't think I would do it myself. D5s should be near silent when decoupled from the case. Now DDC pumps are air cooled so no enclosing of those.

·
Perennial Noob
619 Posts
I wonder if , i could make a box(thick sound dampening material inside) for the pump , to isolate all the noise coming from it. I guess the pump won't overhat ,since water is circulating inside the pump itself . Am i right ?

PS:
I dont have pump yet, will build WCooling in near future . Before i had 2 system with Alphacool D5 and Phobya DC260 pumps , both were too loud for my taste. This is why im planning sound dampening box now.
You might try running it at less than full speed. If you have a vario or pwm version, a D5 at 40% is essentially inaudible when mounted with any of the usual commercial mounts. If you want to run it at higher rpm than that, I've read here about some people being happy with using DIY sorbothane mounts. You might also look into the decoupling kits sold by alphacool or heatkiller, or if you have the space for it, the "Shoggy Sandwich" from Aquacomputer will absolutely do the job.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had DC version of D5 ,ran at 2 of 5 speed , isolated from case , sat on a DIY Shoggy Sandwich.Still i could hear the pump over my low rpm fans .
So you guys dont recommend the full enclosing ,im a bit disapointed

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,541 Posts
Maybe consider a DDC pump instead? I have a PWM MCP35X from my Swiftech Apogee Drive II (CPU/pump combo) and it runs super quiet at 50% PWM Duty Cycle (~3000RPM) and can't hear it over my Gentle Typhoons running at 850RPM. GTs are 2150RPM versions running at their lowest PWM duty cycle.

I had a D5 prior and it would make noise from vibrations regardless of how I mounted it due to the vibrations being amplified by the case. I had to run it at like 3.5 since 4 would cause vibrations and 2 would also cause vibrations.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
I've had four different D5 pumps from two companies (EK and Watercool) and none of them were audible over fan noise. Two were PWM versions and two were Vario. I ran them all at various power settings and couldn't hear them at all over the fans.

The EK pumps had rubber isolation mounts -- they weren't directly mounted at all, but mounted through pressure on a rubber ring surrounding the pump. I would suggest the EK pump with their mount if others were too noisy.

You can try your isolation box, but you shouldn't have to do anything special at all to get a D5 pump that's silent. You have been unlucky to get noisy ones.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The pwm D5 pumps can be extremely quiet at low RPMs. Coupled with a good vibration dampening mount, this should be all you need for silent operation.

The mount should be made of fairly dense material - a shoggy looks like a kitchen sponge but is much thicker. For commercial HVAC applications there are dense isolation pads which weigh a crap ton but clamp down hard on noise for inherently noisy equipment.

I suggest you focus on running at extremely low pump RPMs and/or better vibration dampening first. If this isn't enough, then keep in mind that many DDC pumps rely on ambient cooling to keep the motor at temperature, so you would need to water cool the back of the pump if you're going to put it in an enclosure to keep it from becoming a hot box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts