Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about real extreme cooling, and I recall that Helium is the coldest possible liquid (yes/no?).

So if a CPU is <0ºC will it freeze up and become unfunctional?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigpoppaFrary View Post
no, i've seen comps on liquid nitrogen.
Yes, but the temps on that CPU must be >5ºC or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Liquid Nitrogen gets a hell of a lot colder than 5c, trust me. Your CPU will be fine below 0c, some of the phase guys run sub-zero 24/7.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZunePod View Post
Yes, but the temps on that CPU must be >5ºC or so.
No.... The chip itself is -200 or -240c or so, depending if they're using nitrogen or helium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by low strife View Post
No.... The chip itself is -200 or -240c or so, depending if they're using nitrogen or helium.
That calls for some insane OCs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,865 Posts
Here's an LN2 pot running LHe:


Source= XS

Below is an image of the internals of the LHe pot made especially for this purpose. Previous LHe pots
simply blasted LHe at the base of a traditional LN2 pot and were incredibly inefficient.


Source= Legit Reviews
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,450 Posts
I knew a guy who knew a guy who was related to someone that hit -460 once, but take that with a grain of salt
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
When they did the amd world record with liquid helium they were -270 i believe. Its so cold that they have to use liquid nitrogen first to get it cold before liquid helium or it would get cold so fast it would break stuff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZunePod View Post
So if a CPU is <0ºC will it freeze up and become unfunctional?
CPU's aren't made of water....
 

·
Team Red Lobbyist
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
didn't the guys who hit 6 originally with the 940 BE close to absolute zero (neg 270 C) with Helium? If I remember correctly - I thought they were within 10-15 degrees of that.

I think it was around the January, mid to late timeframe...

Duckie - do you remember?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
they hit around -270C or 5k to 10K

any lower and the entire cpu is garbage....and i doubt they can get to even below 5K because hardly anything in the universe is that cold except that of complete void of nothingness...

they did a good job on the OC though but i just wish they could have come up with a more reasonable way to OC like a more stable 24/7 OC not a 90min worth of it at like thousands of dollars and totally ruin the cpu...

the goal should be to OC the best stable 24/7 system...not a race to see who can get the fastest because you will never see anything stable....

i mean with lHE i am sure that the 920 could reach 6.5-7ghz....and the 975 extreme can hit almost 7-8ghz...
 

·
Matisse
Joined
·
3,808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I knew a guy who knew a guy who was related to someone that hit -460 once, but take that with a grain of salt
.
Nope. Impossible (Unless we are talking Fahrenheit). Tell me what liquid could do that. We can't get get to absolute Zero let alone colder than it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adramalech707 View Post
they hit around -270C or 5k to 10K

any lower and the entire cpu is garbage....and i doubt they can get to even below 5K because hardly anything in the universe is that cold except that of complete void of nothingness...

they did a good job on the OC though but i just wish they could have come up with a more reasonable way to OC like a more stable 24/7 OC not a 90min worth of it at like thousands of dollars and totally ruin the cpu...

the goal should be to OC the best stable 24/7 system...not a race to see who can get the fastest because you will never see anything stable....

i mean with lHE i am sure that the 920 could reach 6.5-7ghz....and the 975 extreme can hit almost 7-8ghz...
At the AMD events it was running in the 240s and 250s.
This does not ruin the CPU either....they work fine after, as long as they don'y pump over 1.8V through it...which they never do
And no, the i7s cannot go under liquid helium because they will cold bug and stop functioning. There has yet to be an i7 chip to hit 5.6GHz+

Also, the helium is all for fun and games to see how far we can push a technology.
 

·
4kfan
Joined
·
4,228 Posts
liquid nitrogen boils at 77k or 196c. i dont think that anyone cooling a cpu got anywhere near absolute zero
 
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Top