Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preface:
I had a RR640 little POS raid controller with 4 hard disks running raid0, it started crapping out , was hard enough to get that going right but it lasted for years, and did not really have much to do, pulled 500MB/s type speeds.
I finally remove the RR (was still operational, just failed at high speed long runs), and put in the LSI 9341. remember I don't really need mirroring or parity or any of that, just assembling 4 drives.

The board is a Gigabyte x97 UD5H , basic haswell 1150 thing with 32gig of factually known to be operational memory running well below possible specs for it for compatibility at this moment, the board is also low clocked, and many configurations of the PCI-E Gen (123) and DMA (0-2) adjustments have been tried to no avail.
There is no need desire or attempt to boot to the array.

Operation:
The cards bios comes up fine, after some hours figuring out the crazy interface, everything there looked ok, and prior to even installing drives, i went into the win7 OS and attempted install of the driver.

After installing the drives, i am able to BIOS configure (through the terrible interface) a simple 4 disk raid0 array and everything in the bios looks 100% fine.

Other operation, which is out of time sequence, the card (existing) was recognized by the software megacli while booted into DOS, which was the only way to update to the Firmware to the latest (after having done everything i can think of to work with what was there).

Fail:
The Driver in the windows OS throws a Code 10 (aka an Event 11) basic arbitrary driver wont start problem, most likely to be driver but could be resources as it inits.

The card is not recognized In the OS as existing at all by the StorCLI software provided to configure it , or to update the firmware. I did test it with the old firmware failing also, but the Massive lists of bugs that have been addressed in the cards at various times I figured the later firmware would be better.

The array or disks also do not show up, even though the hardware bios has created (and i assume passed on) the virtual disk or array.

There was an Archive for drivers, and i put a driver on that is one back from the latest, and it failed the same way.

I have now read 2 books (manuals for all the products slapped together) , and have made attempts at reconfiguring stuff with their driver adjustment thing to more compatible quoes and all and nothing is working. I am not even able to turn on the logexceptionevents although it turns on an info screen in another section shows it still off. This is adjusting the drivers operation, when the driver is re-started, using device disable and re-enable which it still never does.

Moved Board from what might be considered by LSI as a "graphics slot" the second slot of 8 lanes shared with the GPU, to the last PCI-E slot, max4 lane. the symptoms do not change, in the 4X slot the bios was still 100% operational and the driver still fails in the OS.

what now?
the compatibility list for this thing is tiny, and of course my board is not on it.
Seems like a simple driver problem, just is not normal for me to have a complete fail of the thing to even get going.
I am wondering if anyone has solved such a problem in a standard windows desktop platform, the web has limited information, which was one person who just dumped the card and went with the 9361, which is well beyond what i would need, and even then he wasn't doing so well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any news on your situation @Psycogeek?

I am having the exact same problem with my
ASUS P8Z77-V-LX
and a
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem on my Dell T7600. This is the reply that I received from LSI:

=============================================
The 9341-4i and -8i are software raid controllers. It has to be able to allocate
memory during boot up or the driver will not initialize. The system board must
support Interrupt 15 (memory allocation). Many desktop and workstation
boards do not support INT15. There is no workaround it

The better option is use a hardware raid model 9361-4i or -8i
=============================================

Personally, I am a bit dubious about the claim that 9341-8i is a _software_ RAID controller. Can't seem to find any reference in the specs to support that claim. I am inclined to believe that it is a driver problem. What do you think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts