Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


It looks like VLC is ready to come out with version 1.1.1 of their popular multimedia player and it when AMD CATALYST 10.7 drivers come out later this month, HD GPU decoding will finally be supported for Radeon video card users. GPU decoding is nice to have and wasn't possible due to some unknown issue.

Read
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,611 Posts
Just out of interest, apart from reducing load on the CPU... what are the other advantages of this?
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
47,393 Posts
My CPU is like 10% - 15% when i play 1080p so i dont see this as big od a dea for people with good CPUs. Also those that can take advantage of this even if they have a iGP the iGPs that support this are AM2+ or AM3 and the only CPU that could need help is a Sempron.
 

·
GWAMM
Joined
·
2,015 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

My CPU is like 10% - 15% when i play 1080p so i dont see this as big od a dea for people with good CPUs. Also those that can take advantage of this even if they have a iGP the iGPs that support this are AM2+ or AM3 and the only CPU that could need help is a Sempron.

Still, it's more likely that you'd be doing something CPU-intensive in the background while watching your movie than something GPU-intensive, and if you can save 10% then it's worth it IMO. I say it's nice to see it take advantage of power that otherwise would have been wasted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

My CPU is like 10% - 15% when i play 1080p so i dont see this as big od a dea for people with good CPUs. Also those that can take advantage of this even if they have a iGP the iGPs that support this are AM2+ or AM3 and the only CPU that could need help is a Sempron.

I'm gathering that this is more oriented to the HTPC crowd who have a low power/sound system. Keeping those things quiet is often the goal and offloading processes to a discrete/fanless graphics card sounds like a boss idea.

Looking at my own set up I like the idea that my fanless HD3450 is gonna see more use than just being a conduit for video information while taking the CPU heavy task off a noisy E2200. Props to videolan, they know their clientele.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
Good stuff, we'll have to see how well if performs.

CoreAVC is unsurpassed in speed and efficiency. I'd kill to see native linux support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,091 Posts
I get 90-95% cpu usage on 480p videos on my browsing computer. But this still doesn't help me at all considering that comp doesn't have an ATI GPU. It has...............VIA.
 

·
No u
Joined
·
4,133 Posts
LOL.

There is support right now. I'm using CCCP Codec (ffdshow works also) and using Media Player Classic Home Cinema x64.

Change the settings in MPCHC to EVR Custom Pres.** for output and watch your GPU usage.
 

·
GWAMM
Joined
·
2,015 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by FallenFaux
View Post

What's wrong with it?

Can't believe you have missed it. It's been one of the major complaints about ATi's drivers lately.
2D performance of the HD5k series is horrid, even lower than some IGP's... We've been waiting for a fix for a while now but reading the threads on the new releases, apparently people still have issues, and I think this was the reason for VLC 1.1.0 only including hardware acceleration for nVidia cards.

I've noticed the low performance myself which is why I have disabled hardware acceleration in my MPC-HC settings.
Hopefully 10.7 will be good for ATi users.

Quote:


Originally Posted by savagebunny
View Post

LOL.

There is support right now. I'm using CCCP Codec (ffdshow works also) and using Media Player Classic Home Cinema x64.

Change the settings in MPCHC to EVR Custom Pres.** for output and watch your GPU usage.

CCCP is a codec pack (which happens to include the ffdshow codec).
Also, you should enable the DXVA transform filters for acceleration.
 

·
No u
Joined
·
4,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HothBase View Post
Can't believe you have missed it. It's been one of the major complaints about ATi's drivers lately.
2D performance of the HD5k series is horrid, even lower than some IGP's... We've been waiting for a fix for a while now but reading the threads on the new releases, apparently people still have issues, and I think this was the reason for VLC 1.1.0 only including hardware acceleration for nVidia cards.

I've noticed the low performance myself which is why I have disabled hardware acceleration in my MPC-HC settings.
Hopefully 10.7 will be good for ATi users.

CCCP is a codec pack (which happens to include the ffdshow codec).
Also, you should enable the DXVA transform filters for acceleration.


I knew that. I just re-configured it the other night, lol..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by savagebunny View Post
LOL.

There is support right now. I'm using CCCP Codec (ffdshow works also) and using Media Player Classic Home Cinema x64.

Change the settings in MPCHC to EVR Custom Pres.** for output and watch your GPU usage.
The thing with VLC is that it will be "plug and play" which is why I will recommend it to my non-techie friends. Hopefully they will get it to work on the latest Intel integrated GPU's like MPC does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
i don't really like vlc,

mpchc has done that since many years, and very easily, you dont need codec pack, just download mpchc and put in options 3d dx9, evr, that is all for dxva
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
This should help.
My bedroom PC struggles to play 1080p even when I have a HD series GPU.

You can't expect a HD4550 to game at high-res, but I expect it to playback HD video.

What I think is stopping me from watching HD on that PC is the fact that my CPU can't render HD well I guess.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by HothBase
View Post

Have AMD fixed their HD5k 2D performance yet?

What was wrong with it?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top