Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, it's been a while since I've visited but I got new stuff and I'm having an issue with things I don't know about!

I have:
Z170-AR mobo, Samsung 950 pro PCIe M.2 drive, two OCZ ARC100 drives.

I have already installed Win 10 on the 950 Pro without a problem using the M.2 slot in SATA Express mode. If I enable RAID on the SATA ports under PCH configuration, I can configure the two OCZ drives as RAID 0, but then the M.2 drive no longer shows up as a boot option.

Anyone know what I need to do so I can boot from the 950 Pro and use the OCZ drives in RAID 0 for storage? This is my first Z170 and first PCIe M.2 drive so there are a lot of boot options I'm not familiar with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Here is my dumb question, why do you even want to make the storage drives into a RAID 0?

I have no idea about how the setting in the Z170 work.
But you might try clearing the BIOS.
Disabling the MB's back up battery and unplugging AC power cord (for 15 seconds?), that will clear the BIOS.
And of course then re-enabling the battery and connecting the power cord
Then you have to go thru the whole BIOS and reset all your custom BIOS settings.
That might help.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody familiar with Z170?

Stripe in Windows: I'm not interested in software RAID

As far as why RAID 0, this is overclock.net, since when does anyone question speed? I have a server for backup and storage of sensitive data. 500GB SSD RAID 0 for Steam and vid processing, why wouldn't I RAID 0? I've been using RAID 0 arrays for too many years to count.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche View Post

Anybody familiar with Z170?

Stripe in Windows: I'm not interested in software RAID

As far as why RAID 0, this is overclock.net, since when does anyone question speed? I have a server for backup and storage of sensitive data. 500GB SSD RAID 0 for Steam and vid processing, why wouldn't I RAID 0? I've been using RAID 0 arrays for too many years to count.
You did not tell us the RAID 0 was for video processing, you said it was for storage?

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i didn't ask if I should or shouldn't use RAID 0, or for anyone's opinion on it it's use.

I'd like to know how to enable RAID 0 on Z170 SATA ports, and still boot from M.2

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
You might consider contacting Asrock's technical support.
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

I went thru the motherboard's manual
It might just be the BIOS can not support a boot storage device connected thru M.2 (PCI-E) and at the same time running a RAID 0 off the SATA.

AMI, the BIOS manufacturer for this motherboard, might not have designed the feature you current want, in their current BIOS design.
Might also try contacting AMI about your current issue.
https://ami.com/support/technical-support/

·
Registered
535 Posts
In your bios under the boot section should be CSM Compatibility. After you've set raid mode you can try one of two things...

Go into CSM and set the storage boot mode to UEFI (it likely gets set to legacy first)

or you can disable CSM all together (which might cause issues depending on your hardware).

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I tweaked enough settings that I can get both the array and the M.2 drive to show up under Advanced/Rapid Storage Technology, but they will not show up on the boot menu which I find insanely frustrating. Playing with settings under CSM, I can get the array to show up as a boot device if I set Boot from Storage Devices to Legacy only, but then the Rapid Storage option disappears and the M.2 is not available as a boot device.

If I disable CSM, my graphics card isn't recognized thus no boot.

If I unplug the RAID drives, the M.2 shows up as a bootable device with RAID enabled. If I plug them back in, it does not.

Got an ASUS tech on the phone, I doubt he really knew much, but his answer was that you cannot run an M.2 device concurrently with a RAID array.

It seems to me that booting from M.2 and having a RAID array for storage or speed would be a popular setup, but apparently that never dawned on engineers?. Looks like the 950 Pro is getting returned.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts
As of March 2017, I can confirm that Z170 based motherboards can not simultaneously have an M.2 boot drive and a RAID array (any version). I have spent endless hours with my Gigabyte GAZ170X-UD5, a Samsung 960EVO, and a Windows 10 install disk. If Gigabyte has a solution, I have not gotten word from them about it.

The bottom line is that I can do either RAID (5 in my case), or I can have an M.2 boot drive. It did not occur to Intel engineers that someone might want a really fast computer with a lot of storage.

Since I require >5 TB of storage, my M.2 drive has been assigned to a new task. Unfortunately, it is too light to make a good paperweight.

--Captainfactoid

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here on Aorus z270x gaming 7... Cannot have RAID 5 on SATA with the M.2 NVMe??? Really Intel??! I am sure able to go into RAID settings and create the array to no avail as M.2 is not recognized.

I put Win 10 on the M2 and then added 3x2TB Firecuda's. All seen in BIOS F7 version, but... when going through the Octane etc, and disabling CSM, I get 4 beeps upon reboot and a black screen
frown.gif
mad.gif

Resetting the BIOS brings me to square 1... boot to Windows no RAID
Snorkle.gif

Ideas? TIA!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts