Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The samsung 950 pro seems to be the only nvme ssd that will boot on x58 legacy bios correct?

What about the standard SATA based m.2 ssd's? will they boot on a legacy Bios?

I have a MSI big bang x58 xpower MB. I don't want to use the onboard (marvell) Sata3 ports because they are worse than the intel sata2 ports. I'd like to buy an new SSD and have it perform as advertised on my system without using the onboard sata3 ports.

Options?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other option is 2 ssd's like a Crucial bx300 in RAID 0 on the intel sata2 ports.... Would that be better?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What about using a PCI-e add on card for M.2? They are available using 4x lanes/32gbs to give maximum M.2 speeds.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue is x58 won't boot from a PCIE card with a nvme ssd. The only one that apparently works is the samsung 950 pro and thats too much $$$.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
I have SSDs on an X58 system. I think one of them(Old Crucial M4) was NOT detected by the boards Intel without a bios update. The worse part is they had no bios updates.

I found a modified bios on the web that updated the Intel firmware for the SATA ports(I think it was a rapid storage option rom or something). After that everything was fine.

I never expected this because my similar generation H55 board has never had issues detecting SATA drives.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I seem to recall some people having luck with the hyperX PCIe cards, but I couldn't find confirmed cases off hand.

Also I just came across this. Seems an interesting option. The format is cheaper and there's a review of someone getting it to work on a P6T deluxe, so I'd say you have decent odds on your system.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seem to recall some people having luck with the hyperX PCIe cards, but I couldn't find confirmed cases off hand.

Also I just came across this. Seems an interesting option. The format is cheaper and there's a review of someone getting it to work on a P6T deluxe, so I'd say you have decent odds on your system.
That's interesting, as long as it could support a new sata 3 ssd at its advertised speed id be happy. Another review in there from a guy with a msi x58 board who seemed happy with it. From what I understand any sata type drive should boot prom pcie no problem on older systems, its the nvme drives that won't.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there any PCIe drives that perform well that will boot? Like those older revodrives? I'm ok with used hardware. As long as I can get the performance equivalent of a good ssd when run over a sata III port. Can I get something that will be the equivalent of a crucial bx300/ samsung 860 series but that will boot from PCIe?

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here... this will let you run 4 sata III ssd's at full speed, and boot them... 35 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-689576-...m=263486739781&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I'd go nvme if i were you though, that combo of devices i described in the other thread allows you to boot from nvme and also store on more of them. Your board is perfect for it, seeing as you have 2 x16's 2 x8's and 2 x4 pci ex slots.
NVME won't boot on my chipset without a bunch of work, But that raid card seems good. So if I bought that I could hook my old c300 ssd onto it and get it's full speed for $35 right? And I could then go out any get any sataIII ssd and utilize it to it's full potential? I'd be happy If I could just run a new crucial BX300 at it's advertised speed.

If I got the raid controller card and a bx300 i'd be under $100

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes... Do that then, for sure. This is the easiest and best bang for the buck.

For future reference...
The NVME setup i outlined using the devices i said will work without a hitch, those particular drives l listed show up in the boot order as an IDE hard drive device, no different than any other. Hardest part is dealing with the OS and NVME drivers... if using Windows 10, the install is normal stick in the disc and boot from it. If using Windows 7, that's where it gets hard as Windows 7 does not have a native NVME driver... Microsoft released the Win7 NVME driver as a patch you install after the fact or have to slip stream into a customized install DVD/USB stick. There are a few well written and detailed writeups here on the forums about the process of getting NVME support in Windows 7.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yup. Better deal at amazon, 256gb instead of 128gb.

https://www.amazon.com/Plextor-256G...47456&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=512gb+plextor+aic

Get the LSI raid controller no matter what. Try to run both devices together, if the plextor gives you issues return it to amazon and just stick with the LSI controller. It really is nice to have both, but if you have to choose between the two devices because the motherboard decides not to play nice the lsi controller will do you better over all.

·
Iconoclast
30,434 Posts
Most NVMe devices won't have legacy OpROMs and most X58 era firmware won't have NVMe support even if they can technically boot from UEFI OpROMs.

Why is a fast OS drive so critical? An X58 setup isn't fast enough to see dramatic reductions in boot times compared to a good SATA SSD plugged into the Intel 3Gbps ports and anything that actually benefits from extreme I/O performance will also benefit from not having to share that I/O with the OS.

My advice would be to simply boot from a budget SATA SSD and add add a PCI-E NVMe drive for any tasks that the performance is actually useful for.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know, I was about to spend $500 to upgrade this thing to a 8th gen i3-8350k/mobo/ram, but I didn't feel like dropping that kind of money. So I got a Xeon hex core processor for $50 and I just spent $67 on that (used) plextor m8pey pcie ssd because it's able to boot with my legacy bios. That satisfies my buying urge, and I don't feel guilty after spending only $117 !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts