Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having a rough time finding anything other then PCI Express 3.0 for m.2 to x16 risers. It looks like I'm going to end up with a lot more 80ti/90 3 series cards pretty soon, and I noticed at 4x, the 3.0's are a bit slow for folding those GPU's. I cannot seem to find any options.

So, I was thinking that maybe an advertised 3.0 might run at 4.0 like my tt risers do. I didn't want to just go buy and try, so I thought I'd ask you guys if you have had any run at 4.0 speeds yet?

·
I <3 narcissists
7,154 Posts
I didn't even know that was a thing, I've seen a bunch that do the opposite, x16 to M.2.

So it takes an M.2 slot and converts to an x16(x4 electrical) slot? Is there an electrical difference between 4.0 and 3.0 slots/connectors? I thought that the gpu riser cables were listed as either 3.0 or 4.0 but not both, is that only so they can charge twice as much for the 4.0?

That could be super handy with a threadripper setup with all those 4.0 lanes.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
I hate to say go old school but......Why don't you put throw together a few rigs to run them?For $50 you can get a board,cpu and ram from a old system and then just add a psu.Shop around and pick up boards that can run 2 cards at X8 and be done with it.Yes it takes up more space but easier to run.Yes I understand you will also need a hard drive but a small one can be gotten cheap and run linix on it.

I'm not making these points on some bad ass cards but with a handful of small cards running 4 rigs.If I had more cards then I would have another one up and running.

·
Premium Member
13,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't even know that was a thing, I've seen a bunch that do the opposite, x16 to M.2.

So it takes an M.2 slot and converts to an x16(x4 electrical) slot? Is there an electrical difference between 4.0 and 3.0 slots/connectors? I thought that the gpu riser cables were listed as either 3.0 or 4.0 but not both, is that only so they can charge twice as much for the 4.0?

That could be super handy with a threadripper setup with all those 4.0 lanes.
Yeah, I have 9 of these which run at 4x and 3.0. Amazon.com: M.2 NGFF NVMe Key M to PCIe 3.0 X16 Extension Cable nvme to pcie x16 (180° PCI-E Slot): Industrial & Scientific

I use a Gigabyth x570 Aorus Ultra which has 3 x16 slots and 3 m.2 slots. So, 6 full speed slots and all running at 4.0 with the proper ribbons. I just bought a 2nd mb to go in my 2nd spotswood bench. 4 8x slots should be enough for now, but I really want those m.2 adapters to run 4.0 for that double bandwidth. 3070 funs fine on them as-is.

I hate to say go old school but......Why don't you put throw together a few rigs to run them?For $50 you can get a board,cpu and ram from a old system and then just add a psu.Shop around and pick up boards that can run 2 cards at X8 and be done with it.Yes it takes up more space but easier to run.Yes I understand you will also need a hard drive but a small one can be gotten cheap and run linix on it.

I'm not making these points on some bad ass cards but with a handful of small cards running 4 rigs.If I had more cards then I would have another one up and running.
I have plenty of old boards and stuff, but trying to just fill my 2 benches out and be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts