Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a pair of these. Great sound for the price. I was listening to Younha's cover of Gee, and hearing the bass player come to life really took me by surprise since I never heard it so profound. Great treble, and it has not distorted unless you cranked the music up to around 90% with heavy bass. The back of the side with the integrated amplifier does tend to get warm after use, so be weary.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Won't happen unless you're being foolish with the volume knob, and turning whatever bass enhancements on your source to the max.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got a AV40 for $30 at the pawn shop. All good drivers except bad amp, it can play at low volume but as soon as I turn the volume knob higher there's a lot of crackle/distortion sounds.

Going to try to remedy this problem or else they will become two set of bookshelves for my receiver.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, the AV40 sounds ammmmmmazing compared to my $25 Dayton bookshelves (6.5 woofer w/ .75 Mylar tweeter). I can't believe how good a 4" driver sounds, especially the low-ends

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
Cabinet plays a pretty big part also.
The Dayton sub is put into the wrong cabinet, the Q is like 2.2 something, which is pretty bad for a sealed enclosure. The AV40 have ports, but I can't believe how well a 4" driver can do.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
You'll be surprised.

Back in the day I ran a $30 'computer subwoofer'.
Was something along the lines of Edvan or Kingwood, I can't remember.

Anyway, it was cheap crap, and the 4" speaker put out nothing more than half-assed midbass.

So I decided to stick a small roll of tape in the port of that bandpass box, and guess what. I got rid of all the boominess and actually did reach around 48Hz just by reducing the port size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts