Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of these for sale for $100 online. The pictures seem to show an old version of these speakers however:

These are the new ones:

Besides the look of the monitors, are they any different in terms of sound quality? These things are selling for over $200 used online so if there is virtually no difference between the new and old version, Id love to pick them up for $100.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I got them yesterday for 100 $ also and i think we looking at the same occasion
they are the deluxe which have some improvements over the old ones . Nothing special thought.

• Rep+
Reactions: ThumperSD

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found them on craigslist. The ones for sale are the old one (first pic) not new.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
go for them they are great , BUT !!! dont you already have a set of AV40 ? i wouldnt bother seriously then

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I do but for $100, it's hard to pass up considering they go for $240 used (for the new model anyway)

But the question is if the two are the same

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
No they dont , the new ones have some improvements but you will notice them in a studio room and not in a normal room , There is a sticker on new ones which says what new and improved . But they practically the same monitors . Save money for a DAC or receiver or sound card instead

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ thanks

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Edited my grammar lol , by the way i want opinion on AV40's ?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's very nice. Best set of computer speakers Ive heard of yet. Compared to the BX5a, Ive read that it lacks the bass since the BX5a comes with amps on BOTH speakers. There's supposedly a lot of other advantages as well.

The BX5a is so tempting for $100... I might have to pick them up any way

Ive only had these AV40s for a week
Great speakers for $130 though

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up picking up a set of BX5a deluxe today for cheap

Not sure if I want to sell my AV40s either... I may have to keep both lol

·
Banned
314 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThumperSD View Post
Ended up picking up a set of BX5a deluxe today for cheap

Not sure if I want to sell my AV40s either... I may have to keep both lol
Put them as rear speakers, aren't they a tad smaller so perhaps they'd serve you well as satellites?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
waiting for mine to come
pair them with my m audio xponent <3

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this the cable I need to connect it to my Xonar DX?

Amazon.com: Hosa CMP159 Stereo 1/8In M to Two 1/4 Mono M 10 Ft: Electronics Amazon.com: Hosa CMP159 Stereo 1/8In M to Two 1/4 Mono M 10 Ft: Electronics

I was thinking of getting the TRS over XLR since its a bit cheaper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiobock View Post
Put them as rear speakers, aren't they a tad smaller so perhaps they'd serve you well as satellites?
It will be overkill for my room to use a 4 speaker setup with these beasts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThumperSD
View Post

Up

Still need an answer to this

the bx5a has a 1/4 connection ? not actually , get an xlr

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by supra_rz
View Post

the bx5a has a 1/4 connection ? not actually , get an xlr

Isnt the TRS = 1/4"?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

Isnt the TRS = 1/4"?
It is. That's the same kind of cable I'm using for my BX5a's.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:

Isnt the TRS = 1/4"?
TRS and TS can both be 1/4" cables. Specifically, TRS refers to "Tip, Ring, Sleeve" and can be a balanced mono cable, or an unbalanced Stereo cable. TS (Tip, Sleeve) is an unbalanced mono cable.

The Y cable you're looking at is TRS to two TS cables.

Depending on what your running the speakers into (Basic soundcard, professional soundcard, Audio Interface, etc) it would be much better to run two independent TRS or XLR cables to the speakers. Balanced cables will reduce the amount of noise and hum that are normally picked up from unbalanced cables.

Just remember, you can't make an unbalanced signal balanced again. Plugging a balanced cable into an unbalanced port is still unbalanced. The Stereo 2.5mm port you plug into isn't balanced. You'll only be able to run a pure balanced connection if you have separate Left and Right inputs. Hence, if you're using an Audio Interface or Professional sound card, you'll be able to run balanced cables to your speakers.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well considering I have a Xonar DX, im assuming it's unbalanced right? Not sure where the other 3.5mm end would go once I have one of them already plugged into the front speaker output on my DX.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts