Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

But I have yet to see anyone point out one significant change in retail licensing terms. Think you can transfer that retail license to any machine you want? Think again. In Section 2, "Installation and Use Rights," the text reads:

Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the "licensed device."

Quote:

With a retail version of Windows XP, there are no restrictions on the number of times you can transfer the software from one computer to another in your household or office. That's about to change for the worse in Vista, with only one lifetime transfer allowed.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=156

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Now MS is just inviting piracy. Theres no way in hell that I will buy another copy of Vista just because I upgraded my PC. This is yet another invitation to switch over to Linux. Either that or a lot of people are gonna stick to XP. I can live without DX10.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
That is a unbelivably crappy rip off...I've been waiting on Vista to put on my new rig and now they do this crap...They are some the most nickel and dime grubbers I have ever seen.....Doesn't XP home Sp2 support end soon to?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k

That is a unbelivably crappy rip off...I've been waiting on Vista to put on my new rig and now they do this crap...They are some the most nickel and dime grubbers I have ever seen.....Doesn't XP home Sp2 support end soon to?

Rumor has it, I haven't heard about it in a while though, that they're supposed to come out with a SP3 once vista comes out for xp....but like I said I haven't heard anythign about it lately.

Yeah ace, it is, but this is going waaay too far, this dooms us overclockers as we seem to switch motherboards quite a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Thats just bull... i will surely be giving up on micro$oft if they expect me to payy ?$ how much? for a seperate copy of windows every time i rebuild or or build a new pc....

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's just crazy; HrnyGoat is quite right, it will just invite piracy.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HrnyGoat

Now MS is just inviting piracy. Theres no way in hell that I will buy another copy of Vista just because I upgraded my PC. This is yet another invitation to switch over to Linux. Either that or a lot of people are gonna stick to XP. I can live without DX10.

I went out and bought a Xbox360. No more M$ OS's for me. The consoles have better games anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Woah...this is bad. M$ can say bye bye to most of the performance sector. Or, people will just stick to XP.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
I'll wait to see how bad DX 10 games are on XP before I even think about upgrading to vista now.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
I keep getting stuff in the mail wantign me to sign a petition because of how much M$ is charging people for there new software... They are seriously charging to much for there stuff, and why do they do it..? Because they could charge 2,000$ and business would still need to buy there products! Now they only allow 1 transfer, that means if I buy a motherboard, it doesnt OC well, so i buy another one. THERES MY TRANSFER.. if i want another motherboard i'm out the 450$ they charged me for vista.

I know 3 people that build computers, not including myself. All 3 have pirated windows. I purchased my XP and my XP 64 bit from newegg. They call me crazy for it...

WOW... <end rant>

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Linux and XP ftw. Vista ftl.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke

I keep getting stuff in the mail wantign me to sign a petition because of how much M$ is charging people for there new software... They are seriously charging to much for there stuff, and why do they do it..? Because they could charge 2,000$ and business would still need to buy there products! Now they only allow 1 transfer, that means if I buy a motherboard, it doesnt OC well, so i buy another one. THERES MY TRANSFER.. if i want another motherboard i'm out the 450$ they charged me for vista.

WOW... <end rant>

I wouldn't mind paying 100$ for an OS and 5$ for a transfer. That, to me, is reasonable.

Like I've said in the past...if they want to stick it to someone...stick it to the business. Leave the consumers out of their whore-mongering, cesspool greed tactics.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankenPC

I wouldn't mind paying 100$ for an OS and 5$ for a transfer. That, to me, is reasonable.

Like I've said in the past...if they want to stick it to someone...stick it to the business. Leave the consumers out of their whore-mongering, cesspool greed tactics.

I too would be cool with paying a small fee, or paying an extra $50-100 for unlimited transfers (and have the transfer be hassle free).

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k

There axing XP SP1 support, no idea when XP SP2 will stop for sure.
When they tried to prematurely stop 98SE support they were forced to reimplement some support. There are limitations as to when they can stop support comleatly due to corporate law.

·
404 Title Not Found
2,326 Posts
I'm done buying M$ stuff, maybe we can find a fund devoted to getting good graphics for linux gaming.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Well i think M$ has become power hungry and it seems there company has become to big and has to much control and power over there prices and support.

Why does M$ need someone to buy vista twice or more anyway? They have enough money they could probably stop selling products for years and still be in the positives...

They are getting very greedy IMO, and its bound to cause problems where the law will step in and say "Your overcharging to much..." Just like the people that refuse to shop at walmart because the company is getting to big.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts