Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this off a buddy it was a good price. I am trying to start a PC-Repair company. I cleaned out some dust and tried hooking other stuff up but im going to have to take it all apart to make it look really nice.

ANYWAY CPU-ID SAYS... and I think that the RAM that came with the computer are dual channel which I don't know if I can change that so I can add my other ram in or what. I have to upgrade to 64 BIT Windows 7 if I can do this.

CPU-ID Says

RAM Slot 1
-P/N (ocz2n800sr2g) 2048MB (2GB) 400MHz

RAM Slot 2
-P/N (ocz2n800sr2g) 2048MB (2GB) 400MHz

RAM Slot 3
-P/N (cm2x1024-6400) 1024MB (1GB) 400MHz

I want to add another 1 gig of corsair after I upgrade to 64 bit but with dual channel and stuff I don't if and what I can do. My one computer it would say 200MHz RAM but it doubled for some reason is how you calculate it. Right now I guess since my Windows is only 32 bit it says it has 3GB.

-Any help would be appreciated

·
Aren't this fancy!
7,223 Posts
So it has 5GB of ram now, 3 slots filled right? You will lose dual channel support with any odd number of slots filled, 1/3. It is also dependent upon the ram themselves, usually you have to run 1 or 2 matched pairs to keep dual channel going. So your options would be to add 1 more 1gb stick of corsair (matching stick guarantees to work), or remove the 1gb stick and add 2 other matching sticks there.

That is how I understand it works.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im so confused right now. So update to Windows 7 64 Bit. What does dual channel do? I have one more same thing of corsair but they are not dual channel. Im not even sure if the OCZ ones are dual channel. I never learned about that.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXxRobxXxX;15307434
Im so confused right now. So update to Windows 7 64 Bit. What does dual channel do? I have one more same thing of corsair but they are not dual channel. Im not even sure if the OCZ ones are dual channel. I never learned about that.
for dual channel to work you have to have sticks in pairs. Odd numbers of sticks make everything run single channel. Dual channel is faster and is what current boards (except x58) use.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's going to have to be all single channeled I guess I will reformat to Windows 7 64 Bit. How does dual channel work and is better? What program can I get to test the CPU speed + RAM speed everytime I change settings? Superpi? Like from this build to windows 7 64 bit to 64 bit with another gig added.

I basically want to test the CPU and RAM together each time after different setups and get a general score/time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts