Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks just wanting to ask if anyone has had any problems with using Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1600ELK and the ASUS M4A87TD EVO mobo? I built this for a client and it is having hanging issues under load. I ran memtest86 V.4 and it gets to test #7 and has major errors. Is there a chance it could be the CPU? (AMD Phenom X6 1090T BE)
or is this just a memory issue? Any help would be appreciated thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know, what are the chances of the Mobo being bad? I even tried 2 gig of my Gskill ram in it and it did the same thing. that is what led me to think it was the CPU. Also i forgot to add that I ran the memtest with one stick at a time in both sets of dimm slots to see if it was just one and it had errors on both.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Use a newer memtest86+. This memory should be plug and play no problem. Test each individually to see if one is defective causing the problem.

and u may want to raise the voltage to your 965, the MC might be straining at the current voltage

also try re-seating your heat sink on your processor.

i hope i helped you out in any way!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well tested the memory in my rig and it worked no problem, passed memtest 4.0 . So i RMA the Mobo, it came back and still got the same issues. Tonnes of errors on #7 test in memtest. I double checked the QVL and the patriot memory isnt on there. Is there any chance the ram settings can be tweaked in the bios to make it more stable? If i dont figure this out ill be eating money to buy new ram. also this is what is in this system

Asus m4a87td evo motherboard, AMD 1090T BE CPU, Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1600ELK, MSI 6850 cyclone PCI-E 16.2
1TB WD 6.0gb, Apevia java 650watt PSU, Win 7 64bit, ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm cooler and 4 120MM fans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just want to say you are not alone in this. I am getting exactly the same problem.

I have:

AMD 1090t CPU
ASUS M4A87TD EVO/USB3 motherboard
2x Corsair XMS DDR3-1600
Nvidia 480GTX

At test 7 it fails every block.

I tried different memory:

2x Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3 10600) in slots A1 and B1

Still fails test 7 every block.

So I tried a different motherboard:

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3

Still fails test 7 every block.

I've tried increasing RAM voltage a little, with no effect. Lots of test 7 errors.

Also tried decreasing RAM clock speed, again with no effect. Lots of test 7 errors.

So, either there was something really bad with my original motherboard and it's completely corrupted every stick of DDR3 I've got or there's something wrong with my CPU or there's something wrong with memtest86+ on AMD 1090t CPU.

I usually stop the test after a few hundred thousand errors, but I just let it carry on for a few minutes. After 1036032 errors it crashed with the message:

Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0

I haven't tried a different CPU yet. The only one I have is an Athlon II 255.

Jem

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also getting this issue with my setup:

1090t BE, all settings in bios set to "auto"
asus m4a89gtd pro
4gb corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 (which IS listed as compatible on the asus qvl)
corsair tx650w psu

The ram works fine if i use my old phenom x2 545, passes both memtest and memtest+ 100% error 3, multiple passes.

As soon as the 1090T is installed, thousands of errors on test#7 in memtest86, but memtest86+ still passes 100%
Windows becomes very unstable, constantly giving me bsod.

I've even RMA'd the cpu, and the replacement does exactly the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tested the 2x Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3 10600) in the M4A87TD with an Athlon II 255 CPU and it passed every test in memtest86+ v4.0.

Same RAM, same motherboard, but with AMD 1090t CPU gives hundreds of thousands of block errors on test 7.

I'll assume it's a bug in Memtest86+ specific to the AMD 1090t processor. I've reported it to memtest86.com.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a very similar problem to the original poster. Severe stability issues, run memtest86 and get errors by the hundreds of thousands in test 7. Very similar hardware:

m4a87td evo mobo with 1090t cpu

I've tried different memory, same result, errors in test 7. The last posts says swapping out the cpu resulted in passing all tests in memtest86. But what about stability issues? Were they gone as well? Is it a bug with memtest or was the cpu actually bad?

I'm just kinda stuck here. I know my memory isn't the issue, but is it my cpu or mobo? If it's a bug with memtest, then where do I go from here to locate the cause of my stability issues?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopernewb;13514327
But what about stability issues? Were they gone as well?
since reinstalling the x2 545, i haven't had a single stability issue.
I've posted similar help requests on the Asus, Corsair and AMD forums, a few suggestions were offered but none helped.

Somebody also suggested that a 650w psu wasn't enough for a hex core.
What power supplies are you guys using?

At my last attempt, I noticed that the 1090t was drawing 140w at load according to cpuz HWmonitor (its supposed to be 125w).

If anyone has a thuban cpu working properly in this board, please tell us which memory modules you use because I am getting tired of trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This might not be relevant, but the problem here might not necessarily relate to the number of cores per se. Or perhaps not even the processor

I recently purchased a gigabyte board (MA78LMT-US2H) and was having severe problems with the machine locking up or throwing a BSOD usually within 10 minutes of booting despire all temperatures being extremely cool

I removed one of the DIMMs and it ran stably so I assumed it was a faulty DIMM

I was also having problems that seemed unsolveable with PS2 emulation as I need to run the PC through a KVM, so I decided to purchase the M4A87TD EVO as hardly any newish boards still have both PS2 ports now

I inserted 2 DIMMs for dual channel mode and had the same thing happen despite even cooler temps in the new fan laden case.

Put in two different DIMMs, same result

Put 1 DIMM in and the PC runs flawlessly irrespective of which DIMM from either of the two sets I insert. But if I put a pair of DIMMs in the machine hangs

The processor here is only the AMD X3 450 and not an X6 CPU

I havent had a lot of time to swap things around yet as I only thought to try just one DIMM on the new board yesterday and have been busy since. But it does seem a bit odd to have the same fault on two different manufacturers motherboards and with two different sets of DIMMS one of which was CSX Diablo 2000Mhz DDR3 running @ the 1333 clock speed the motherboard auto set it to

But rather than a specific fault of a specific item could my problem and yours be a subtle compatibility issue rather than a clear hardlined "fault" where each item is infact "working" in its own right and not exactly "faulty". But just doesnt want to work together?

·
Registered
6 Posts
After setting the dram controller to "ganged", i had a good few hours of stability, played a few games, ran an hour of prime95 error free.
Then i restarted into bios and set it back to unganged, and got a BSOD as soon as the windows 7 boot animation stopped pulsing.

Code:

Code:
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051611-17830-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7FCD0) 
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.
Back in ganged mode for now, at least the damn thing is usable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure you guys are using the latest Memtest86. I was getting a bunch of errors on test #7 until I loaded up Memtest86 version 4.20

I have the M4A87TD EVO, a 1090T and 8GB of G.Skill 1600.

Also, I'm currently running my RAM at 1333 (8-8-8-21) @ 1.6v, Prime95 and Memtest86 4.20 stable for over 9 hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I mentioned before, memtest86+ passes 100% error free for me too, but system instability is still there. BSOD occurs at least twice a day. Ganged mode makes them less common, but they still occur.
As a last resort, i tried reinstalling windows and got a bsod straight after the"windows is loading files" screen.

I'm back on my dual core now until i can buy some new ram to test, and if that doesn't solve it i'll have to sell the 1090t.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh my god, I was about to post on this and I will still, but I've been getting freezing ever since I got a second set of G.skill ram for my PC, I have the M4a87TD evo too, and It just freezes at least 5 times a week. I am going to do a memtest to see if this happens to me too.

Either way, I have an AMD Phenom II x4 955... so I think it may be the motherboard!

My computer was fine before installing this second set of memory, and I never froze prior to installing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpatologist;13647580
As I mentioned before, memtest86+ passes 100% error free for me too, but system instability is still there. BSOD occurs at least twice a day. Ganged mode makes them less common, but they still occur.
As a last resort, i tried reinstalling windows and got a bsod straight after the"windows is loading files" screen.

I'm back on my dual core now until i can buy some new ram to test, and if that doesn't solve it i'll have to sell the 1090t.
What speed is the ram defaulting to while it's set to auto? If it defaults to 1333, have you tried raising the ram voltage to 1.6 to see if the system will stabilize with that setting?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the same mobo but am using G Skill mem paired with Phenom II 965BE. I did have to up the voltage and ajust mem timings. Asus just recently released bios update 2001 which fixed some compatibility issues, update bios and try again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone experience freezing with all four DIMMs full of ram? Because I am
frown.gif
I removed two to see if the freezing will go away, because before it was okay with only 2 sticks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts