Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as i said in my intro post i am somewhat of an OC noob. torrenting, uploading, and my job as Tracker Admin on a private site consume most of my online time. i did however have pretty good success overclocking my old Asus A832N Sli Deluxe with an AMD Athlon X2 4400+.

BUT...now i have a newly installed Asus M4N82 Deluxe Mobo with a Phenom II 965, 2 X 2 GB OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB 2x2GB PC2-8500 DDR2 1066MHz Ram.

i am having a hard time oc'ing this setup as the bios settings are NOTHING like in my old mobo. also, unlike the old motherboard i cannot seem to locate a "general" guide to overclocking this combo as it is fairly new. forgive me if this has been covered already as i have searched. any help with some BASIC OC settings for this mobo would be appreciated.

thanks,

TR

·
Registered
752 Posts
Luckily overclocking that 965 is relatively simple, it's checking your stability and temps where most of the time is spent. You will be looking for the CPU Multiplier setting, and the CPU core voltage setting. Increase the multiplier, if things aren't stable, increase the core voltage. Check for stability/watch your temps, rinse and repeat. Try to keep below 55C for max stability, and don't raise the Vcore higher than 1.55v (I think... maybe someone else knows for sure). Increasing the "CPU-NB" voltage slightly can also help with stability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, i am assuming the multiplier is the "CPU Ratio" setting in the bios as has 17x, 17.5x, and so on. HOWEVER, when i change it in the bios to 18x then boot into Windows (7) and run Everest, i am still at a 17x multi...??? am i missing something that needs to be disabled or enabled in the bios to unlock the multi? i have been at this for 2 days now and the only way i have been able to achieve any OC is by using Asus Turbo V and that is cheating IMO. i wanna do it right, that is why i bought this board and cpu. i researched quite a bit. HELP!

·
Registered
752 Posts
It should be saving the Multi if you are correctly saving the mobo settings before exiting BIOS. Download CPU-Z and check your speed there. I don't know the specifics of your BIOS so I can't really help much in that aspect. Make sure AMD Cool n Quiet is off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, cool n quiet is off. cpuz is showing 17x and another thing that is puzzling me is this: both everest and cpuz are showing my bus speed at 209.1mhz when in the bios it is 200. i am saving the settings before exit as well

·
Registered
752 Posts
You can try clearing your CMOS to reset the defaults, then see if you can change them again. Hopefully that will get rid of the strange fsb speed as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did it, and then i re-flashed my bios...same damn problem. windows reports my clock speed correctly but cpuz AND everest are both wrong.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Do you have the latest editions of Everset and CPU-Z?

Mine used to read some motherboard info incorrectly, the chipset revision for instance. When i updated those programs to the latest ones everything was correct.

The only time settings changes have reverted after saving for me are when the crash free BIOS goes into action to revert a failed overclock, but yoou'd know that was happening because it will restart before you get to windows.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Have you tried installing the Athlon X2 4400+? To see if the same thing happens? I hope it's not something to do with the 965 on C3 steppings, because i was thinking of getting one when the new cores come out, if the prices drop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<RESOLVED> well, interestingly enough that motherboard failed. i just got my new one, updated my bios to the latest release (it came out the day of failure) #1803 and what do ya know? CPUz and Everest, EVERYTHING reports correctly!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts