Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty much killed my current motherboard with overclocking (more than likely much more than it could handle) and have decided with SteamRoller sticking with AM3+ and the 1090FX not offering all that much more than the 990FX that it is a good time to upgrade. It seems like these two boards are very similar, however I just wanted a few opinions. Is the only difference the military grade of the Sabertooth? Which one would be better for overclocking? I like to push my overclocking to the max so I guess that should be taken into consideration. I'm probably going to be ordering one of these next week so any opinions would be welcome.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magclub View Post

I have pretty much killed my current motherboard with overclocking (more than likely much more than it could handle) and have decided with SteamRoller sticking with AM3+ and the 1090FX not offering all that much more than the 990FX that it is a good time to upgrade. It seems like these two boards are very similar, however I just wanted a few opinions. Is the only difference the military grade of the Sabertooth? Which one would be better for overclocking? I like to push my overclocking to the max so I guess that should be taken into consideration. I'm probably going to be ordering one of these next week so any opinions would be welcome.
Check Newegg feature comparison

The Sabertooth have 8+2 VRM phase while M5A99FX have 6+2 VRM phase thus the Sabertooth have a more robust power delivery system which would probably help when you are trying to stablize an OC at a high Vcore.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

Check Newegg feature comparison

The Sabertooth have 8+2 VRM phase while M5A99FX have 6+2 VRM phase thus the Sabertooth have a more robust power delivery system which would probably help when you are trying to stablize an OC at a high Vcore.
That and the Sabertooth, if i remember correctly, also has Asus' digi vrm. On top of that it will give you additional bells and whistles that the m5a99fx does not and a longer warranty.

Between the two I would go with the sabertooth. But what budget are you trying to stay within for a motherboard?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl5apv View Post

That and the Sabertooth, if i remember correctly, also has Asus' digi vrm. On top of that it will give you additional bells and whistles that the m5a99fx does not and a longer warranty.

Between the two I would go with the sabertooth. But what budget are you trying to stay within for a motherboard?
Thank you both for your responses. As for a budget I just wanted to keep it at no more than $180 as I am replacing my aftermarket cooler too (otherwise I would probably be looking at the Formula Z). I also decided against the Formula Z as I'm not sure if AMD will make some unannounced additions to the 1090FX when it launches so I don't want to be into this board for more than $180. It looks like I'm going to be getting the Sabertooth 990FX. It should add some new life to my 965 BE, at least until SteamRoller rolls out:D I had my 965 BE stable at 4.4GHz for over a year before my motherboard started to show the signs of too old and weak to keep up. I was forced to lower my overclock several times until I had to run it below stock (at 2.5GHz) just to keep the motherboard going. I was concerned that I cooked the processor at first but when I put in my old 720 BE it was doing the same exact things so I must have pushed the old 7025/nForce 630a too hard. Have had my 965 BE sitting in a drawer for a couple of weeks now so I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can push my overclock with the Sabertooth and new liquid cooling:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quote:

Thank you both for your responses. As for a budget I just wanted to keep it at no more than $180 as I am replacing my aftermarket cooler too (otherwise I would probably be looking at the Formula Z). I also decided against the Formula Z as I'm not sure if AMD will make some unannounced additions to the 1090FX when it launches so I don't want to be into this board for more than $180. It looks like I'm going to be getting the Sabertooth 990FX. It should add some new life to my 965 BE, at least until SteamRoller rolls out:D I had my 965 BE stable at 4.4GHz for over a year before my motherboard started to show the signs of too old and weak to keep up. I was forced to lower my overclock several times until I had to run it below stock (at 2.5GHz) just to keep the motherboard going. I was concerned that I cooked the processor at first but when I put in my old 720 BE it was doing the same exact things so I must have pushed the old 7025/nForce 630a too hard. Have had my 965 BE sitting in a drawer for a couple of weeks now so I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can push my overclock with the Sabertooth and new liquid cooling:D
The 3rd gen sabertooth board should be coming out this month if you can wait a week or two.

http://www.techpowerup.com/180316/ASUS-Launches-TUF-Sabertooth-990FX-GEN3-R2.0.html

I don't think amd will be coming out with 1090fx until excavator in 2015, on am4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSneak View Post

The 3rd gen sabertooth board should be coming out this month if you can wait a week or two.

http://www.techpowerup.com/180316/ASUS-Launches-TUF-Sabertooth-990FX-GEN3-R2.0.html

I don't think amd will be coming out with 1090fx until excavator in 2015, on am4
Thanks for pointing that out:thumb: I was going to order the Sabertooth over the weekend and then got distracted and didn't, now I'm glad I didn't yet. I'll wait a little bit and pick up one of these new boards. They should be future prof through SteamRoller I would think.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, my horse broke my index, middle finger and thumb on my right hand on Sunday so I had plenty of time to look into the new Sabertooth GEN3 board. Looking at the specs listed on Asus homepage the only difference between the GEN 3 and the current Sabertooth board is the GEN3 has PCI-e 3.0 and the current board has 2.0. There are many sources that are saying that not even the GTX Titan will fully max out PCI-e 2.0. Is PCI-e 3.0 worth waiting for? If its priced much higher is it worth the extra money?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quote:

Okay, my horse broke my index, middle finger and thumb on my right hand on Sunday so I had plenty of time to look into the new Sabertooth GEN3 board. Looking at the specs listed on Asus homepage the only difference between the GEN 3 and the current Sabertooth board is the GEN3 has PCI-e 3.0 and the current board has 2.0. There are many sources that are saying that not even the GTX Titan will fully max out PCI-e 2.0. Is PCI-e 3.0 worth waiting for? If its priced much higher is it worth the extra money?
I know your pain, I was originally holding out until haswell released.
biggrin.gif

The other thing with that board is that it has a second usb 3.0 header on the motherboard.

I thought the color scheme on it was better too.

pcie 3.0 would be useful for running a 3 card setup, since it currently goes to x16/x8/x8 on pcie 2.0 if you do that. (slight improvement)
Currently, it won't make a difference for a single card, but who's to say 2 generations of gpus from now it won't.

The main benefit of the sabertooth and higher end motherboards in general is that they have more overclocking capabilities, more power phases, bios options, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSneak View Post

I know your pain, I was originally holding out until haswell released.
biggrin.gif

The other thing with that board is that it has a second usb 3.0 header on the motherboard.

I thought the color scheme on it was better too.

pcie 3.0 would be useful for running a 3 card setup, since it currently goes to x16/x8/x8 on pcie 2.0 if you do that. (slight improvement)
Currently, it won't make a difference for a single card, but who's to say 2 generations of gpus from now it won't.

The main benefit of the sabertooth and higher end motherboards in general is that they have more overclocking capabilities, more power phases, bios options, etc.
Yea, if it wasn't for bad experiences with Intel in the past I would have probably gone Sandy Bridge and be looking at Haswell. They are great processors, but I like AMD, and have done well with their products. I'm hoping that with SteamRoller AMD narrows the gap and performs well compared to Haswell. That and games may be made more AMD compatible with PS4 going to AMD tech.

The extra usb 3.0 header isn't that important to me as I only have keyboard, mouse, and video camera hooked to my pc. The only thing that may be able to take advantage of usb 3.0 is my smartphone when I backup my pictures and videos.

I don't think I would be able to take advantage of PCI-e 3.0 either. I have one GPU and may crossfire later, but 2 for me would be max. If I'm not mistaken that means 3.0 would offer no benefit over 2.0 as I'm on a single monitor 1080p.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts