Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally by Ryahn, Updated by DizZz

To start off, Mac aka OSX is a CPU SMP client only. There are no GPU clients out there for Mac. Your PPD may or may not match others PPD depending on the Mac version you are running. iMac, Mac Book, Mac Book Pro, Mac Air, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro (Desktop).

Preparation
When getting ready to run [email protected] client, here are two things you might want to get:

iStat

(You do not need to get the pro and this is not a trial)

FAH Limit/Fan Control

Quote:

Originally Posted by CiBi View Post
Becaus of the current ongoing foldathon i decided to put my MBP (i5-540M, 2,53GHz 2 cores 4 threads) to work and i installed the smp client.
Temps got higher so the fans started spinning faster, at 6000RPM the noize wasnt to bad but it was to loud to sleep so i googled arround and i found this:

download:

Code:

Code:
http://calxalot.net/downloads/versions/fahlimit/0.6/fahlimit-0.6-osx.tgz
description:

Code:

Code:
% ./fahlimit -help

fahlimit version 0.6

usage: fahlimit [options]

options:
  -daemon       run in background. implies -persist
  -persist      don't exit if no cores are detected
  -fallback     if no cores are detected, try fallback of /usr/bin/killall. implies -persist
  -percent nn   percent time cores should run. valid range is 20-90 (default 70)
  -version      show version info and quit

description:

fahlimit is for reducing the cpu load caused by the [email protected] core.
it works by alternately pausing (SIGSTOP) and continuing (SIGCONT) all cores "FahCore_".
this is useful, for instance, in reducing the operating temperature of a laptop.

typical usage would be

fahlimit -daemon -percent 65   # to start
  killall fahlimit               # to stop
thought this might help to get some macbooks folding...

• The reason why I have iStat stated is because this is what helps you monitor your [email protected] The two solid bars of red is the CPU and if they aren't full or running at half, its and indicator that your client isn't working and something has gone wrong OR it has finished a WU (Work Unit).

A passkey

• The reason behind you getting a Passkey is because it will help you better track your PPD and any other data you want to know from [email protected] client. It also helps keep it unique.

(ABOVE ARE OPTIONAL)

Installation
I have made youtube videos on how to setup various monitoring clients for [email protected] and one on how to install the [email protected] client.

When it asks for your password, it means your password you use to login (if you have one) or the admin password. This does not mean your passkey.

Next
You will want to get a [email protected] monitoring client. I have made 3 videos instead of 4 (merged two into one). There are plenty of monitoring clients out there for Mac but one is mentioned a lot here on OCN and that is FAHMon.

OR/BOTH

The other most popular client is InCrease, this client is more detailed up front than FAHMon. Its takes few more extra steps to get it setup but it doesn't hurt to have both running.

NOTE - YOU CANNOT RUN TAGS ON THE INSTALLER, YOU WILL GET AN ERROR OR YOUR STATUS WILL TURN RED AND STOP.

Others

There are two Dashboard widgets (for Vista users these are Gadgets but Widgets do not work on Vista since they are ONLY for Mac) these are:

[email protected] WUdget (Very Detailed)

OR/BOTH

[email protected] Monitoring Widget

Different Installer (Console aka Terminal Only Client)

I will be making a video on how to install this later on. I will most likely have to do this on my Mac side of my Mac Book Pro which is currently running windows xp.

Step 1: You need to either follow the guide they provide or do it my way and only follow the important part of the guide. Download this Console Only Client (SMP2)

Step 2: Where ever you downloaded this to, you need to move it to your Library folder. You need to make a folder called

And move the 2 files into this folder. If you have already downloaded the other installer, just put the files in the folder.

Step 3: You will only need to follow these steps and you will be all set.

cd ~/Library/[email protected]

Now you should have the SMP FAH client in place and you'll have to configure it. It can be done by running following command:
./fah6 -smp -local -configonly

After setting the configuration there are couple of ways to start the SMP FAH client. One way is to start it is by typing in each time the following command:
./fah6 -smp -local -verbosity 9

OPTIONAL: To make it a little easier for yourself, one can make a little script by running following commands: echo "./fah6 -smp -local -verbosity 9" > FaH
chmod +x FaH
Now you'll just have to run
./FaH

Credit to the above go to Here

NOTE - ONLY USE THE CONSOLE CLIENT IF YOU PLAN ON USING MAC MINI OR LAPTOP. WU COMPLETION IS VERY SLOW!!

NOTE - YOU WILL NEED TO USE THE INSTALLER CLIENT FOR OCN CHIMPIN. THE CONSOLE CLIENT ONCE CONFIGURED IS UNABLE TO MODIFIED UNLESS INSTALLED AGAIN.

PPD for Macs

I take no credit for these stats, they all go to Phantom

Mac Minis:

• CD 1.83 GHz 0.9K - 1.0K PPD
  • C2D 2.00 GHz 1.2K PPD
  • C2D 2.33 GHz 1.7K - 2.5K PPD

MacBook Pro 17:

• C2D 2.5 GHz 2.9K PPD

MacBook Pro 15:

• C2D 2.4 GHz 1.7k - 2.6k PPD

Mac Pro (Desktop):

• Dual C2D 2.66 GHz 5.0K PPD s

NOTE: Please report to this thread once you have complete one WU.

Notes/Updates

So far the best project yet

Code:

Code:
 Project : 2669
 Core    : SMP Gromacs CVS
 Frames  : 100
 Credit  : 1920

-- iMac --

Min. Time / Frame : 13mn 05s  - 2113.22 ppd
 Avg. Time / Frame : 13mn 12s  - 2094.55 ppd
 No Cur. Time / Frame
 No R3F. Time / Frame
 No Eff. Time / Frame
This guide is somewhat out dated because of the new macs that have come out. I will have to go on the hunt again to find the stats/averages.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Very nice.

REP+

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho666 View Post
and how does the PPD of this compare to Windows and Linux?
might make it a VMware image if it's higher

I have yet to compare which is what I am doing next. I will make a google doc sheet or something and compare.

I do have a Windows VMware Fusion machine on this mac. But I dont use it because it calls for a lot of resources.

Also this guide isnt for finding out what can be played on it and crysis is windows only.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
when i folded on my 2.4 GHz C2D macbook, the ppd would fluctuate alot depending if the battery was in or it was just on the charger with the battery in. if i recall correctly i was getting close to 2k ppd on a 1920

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
when i folded on my 2.4 GHz C2D macbook, the ppd would fluctuate alot depending if the battery was in or it was just on the charger with the battery in. if i recall correctly i was getting close to 2k ppd on a 1920
I have three different projects that I have worked on. I get from 1700+ to 2100+ depending on the project and WU. I fold on an iMac 24 and soon to be on bootcamped windows on a Mac Book Pro 15".

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,026 Posts
Very nice tutorial. Just recommended it to a roommate.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Bump for Mac folding.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
You normally have to wait until Fahmon completes about 3 % before the PPD updates. Those errors aren't an issue; I get loads of errors like that but Fahmon still works fine.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Ok guys.major problem here...I think anyway.

I cant disable [email protected] If I select disable in the preference pane then it bring it back down to normal usage, but after a minue it is running again. Help !

Edit : It appears to be fixed following a reboot......strange

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deano12345
View Post

Ok guys.major problem here...I think anyway.

I cant disable [email protected] If I select disable in the preference pane then it bring it back down to normal usage, but after a minue it is running again. Help !

Edit : It appears to be fixed following a reboot......strange

It will disable once you click disable and type in the password if prompted. It may take a few seconds or minutes to fully turn off. Other than that it should be fine. Feel free to PM me when needed

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Very nice guide bro.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryahn View Post
Odd, videos arent showing up like they should. I just updated the OP with some current PPD of macs.
The BBCode for embedding YouTube videos isn't wokring normally (because of YouTube's interface change I believe). It's being worked on.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts