Overclock.net banner

Mac Owners Club

45270 Views 434 Replies 180 Participants Last post by  wRRM
This thread is for anyone who owns a Mac computer. Anything from an eMac to a Mac Pro. Please don't post if you have a Apple display (doesn't count as a computer) this is only for Mac computer owners.

Also now excepting iOS devices!

This thread is going to be used for any basic help with macs and also just some FAQs about Mac and OSX.

If you would like to be added, use the sign up link

News:
Lion being released Q2-Q3 in 2011

Current Mac Models/base prices:
Mac Mini - $699, $999
iMac - $1199(21.5"), $1499(21.5"), $1699(27"), $1999(27")
Macbook - $999(13.3")
Macbook Air - $999 (11.6") $1199 (11.6") $1299(13.3"), $1599(13.3")
Macbook Pro - $1199 (13.3"), $1499 (13.3"), $1799 (15.4"), $1999(15.4"), $2199 (15.4"), $2299 (17")
Mac Pro - $2499

Don't forget to use your student discounts if your in college! Link

Useful Websites:
ifixit

Useful Programs:
Transmission - Torrents
Adium - Universal IM
Xblaze - Xfire add-on for Adium (Currently does not work with new verison of Adium)
Handbrake - A/V Conversion
UnRaRX - .rar File Extractor
Oynx - System Maintenance
VLC/DivX - Media Players
Perian - Quicktime Plugin
Quicksilver - Interface
refit - Bootmenu and Maintenance Toolkit
CPU-X - Similar to CPU-Z
coconutBattery - Tells you the current maximum battery capacity and original capacity
coconutIdentitycard - When and where your Mac or iPod was born
coconutWiFi - Tells you if you're in range of a WiFi network
SMCFanControl - Manually control fans for any intel Mac
iStat Pro - A widget that monitors every aspect of your Mac

Update Rumors:

How To:
Install memory on Macbook

I will continue to add more info to this thread tomorrow.

Mac Sign Up Form

iOS Sign Up Form

Anything below the form will be deleted in a week, just giving people some time to sign up for the form.

Mac Members

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AuuQuCzWJcU5dDFuTWF2N1N5QVFCUjVoLU5wSUpVSnc&w=120&h=500 Google Spreadsheet

iOS Members

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AuuQuCzWJcU5dGxxVlVLY3ZKbUd3Zmc4aldDb3BpMVE&w=120&h=500 Google Spreadsheet
  • Rep+
Reactions: SubstancenUnknown
401 - 420 of 435 Posts

· Registered
852 Posts
Well, after 10 years of not having a mac, Im back
smile.gif

I have owned mostly alienware computer for the past few years along with home made desktops. But, a switch in work and going to school has pushed me to get a macbook.

I originally was going to get a mb air, but they didnt have the 8gb model in stock, and by the time they got it I would of already started school.... so macbook pro it is!
I now have my nice new mbp 13, mouse, and keyboard. I will be setting up a desk with monitor, keyboard and some speakers at my parents house for school work to be done at. My house has 2 kids under 3 years old, so there is no way I can get any work done at home.

Any suggestions for must haves, and things to make life easy? I know a henge dock is in my future, but what else is there?

btw, I am going back to school for web coding... but, its been since 1999 when I stopped coding so alot has changed.

· Music Producer
7,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson View Post

Well, after 10 years of not having a mac, Im back
smile.gif

I have owned mostly alienware computer for the past few years along with home made desktops. But, a switch in work and going to school has pushed me to get a macbook.

I originally was going to get a mb air, but they didnt have the 8gb model in stock, and by the time they got it I would of already started school.... so macbook pro it is!
I now have my nice new mbp 13, mouse, and keyboard. I will be setting up a desk with monitor, keyboard and some speakers at my parents house for school work to be done at. My house has 2 kids under 3 years old, so there is no way I can get any work done at home.

Any suggestions for must haves, and things to make life easy? I know a henge dock is in my future, but what else is there?

btw, I am going back to school for web coding... but, its been since 1999 when I stopped coding so alot has changed.
Hopefully you got the rMBP.
smile.gif

I would recommend the magic mouse for working, makes work flow quick. Side scrolling/multi directional is great.

I would also recommend the app Cinch and Free Memory.

· Registered
852 Posts
Yep, got the retina since I didnt need a dvd drive nor wanted a 5400rpm hdd.... blah.

I have the magic mouse, and a keyboard. Looking to get a 27 inch display sometime, but it might have to wait till I get out of school.

I will check out those apps now.

Today I am also going to pick out a new bag for it. I stuffed it into my everki backpack with my alienware 17 (that thing is a monster compaired to the little rmbp)
THinking of getting the everki tempo. Nice, slim, and has a built in sleeve for the laptop... says its for the mba 13, but from the videos I have watched, the rmbp should fit no problem.

EDIT, just got cinch, perfect for what I am doing! While coding on my big 17 inch windows pc, I could put it half and half so I could preview... that worked great, now I can with the mac, though a much smaller screen.

· Registered
5,042 Posts
If that dock thing you're planning on getting doesn't have the same features look into BetterSnapTool, it's very useful
thumb.gif
And regarding bags, mine just lives in a slip type case that then gets thrown into my messenger bag every day
tongue.gif

· Registered
852 Posts
Got my everki tempo bag last night on my way home... last one at microcenter, and if you've ever been to a microcenter, you know its about as organised as a 6 year old kids room. I searched and searched and searched... finally found it in a mesh bin on top of all the shelves.

There is the main compartment for the laptop. This area has 2 straps that hold a dedicated sleeve for the laptop, really a strange design. You can pull the sleeve out of the main bag, but its on a leash so it wont go far. Its designed so you can pull the laptop from the bag, but leave it in the bag for airport security to scan it.
In this main area there is also a soft tablet pouch, a walled off book/paper/magazine area. This has a velcro flap that folds over it to keep things in. The flap has a small zippered pocket in it for small things like money, keys, ipod or whatever.

On the front there is one more pocket. This one has a large open area, plus a few little pockets for various items. One of the pockets (middle) is a perfect fit for the magic mouse. You can put pens, and little things in the other pockets. The main part of this pocket holds the charger and cables just fine without any added bulk.

I am still exploring the bag right now, and need to fill it up with the things I will be using at school.

As for the laptop, really liking it, while a fair amount slower than my normal laptop (3.8 ghz i7 with a 780m) its really zippy for its size. THe keyboard is nice and solid.

Pictures of everki tempo, They are not the best pictures in the world, but you get the idea that I can fit rmbp 13, magic mouse, mousepad, charger, and a bunch of other things in there.

This is the built in sleeve that pulls out for airport scans. Next time im on a airplane I will have to see if they actually accept this or not.... I know that whole "TSA aproved" is a lie most of the time.

· I can count to potato
1,478 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have owned more Macs than most people lol.
I recently moved and sold off most of my collection unfortunately.

Just off the top of my head I have owned
iBook G3 clamshell (Orange)
iBook G4
PowerBook G4 Titanium
PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15"
PowerMac G4 QuickSilver
iMac G3 Graphite and a Bondi Blue
iMac G4 17" lampshade
iMac G5 17"
iMac Intel 17"
eMac

and the original Mac Pro 1.1

Then I still have:
MacBook Pro 2011 with 2GHz i7, 16GB of ram, Crucial M4 SSD, and the original 500GB HD in an Optibay enclosure replacing the optical drive.
MacBook
PowerBook G3 Lombard
iBook G3 snow custom painted translucent orange.

I worked for a school district that had a 1 to 1 laptop initiative so I received many of the laptops through the school district. For example, I when they recycled the PowerBook titaniums, I would take a few and fix them up to give to all my friends. I was an employee, so they let me have them as long as I remove all school identification tags, and did not sell them for profit. It was sad shrink wrapping pallets of hundreds of decent laptops when I only saved a handful every time.

I love Macs. I do however enjoy building PC's and Have had lots of fun building Windows PC's and a few hackintoshes.

· Premium Member
852 Posts
Hi everyone,
Just submitted my application even if I'm a long time mac user.

I own a bunch of Mac, some as old as an LC II

Heres the list, I still have all of them, most of the old ones are in sealed plastic containers in the attic...

Macintosh LC II
Macintosh LC III
PowerMac 7500/100
PowerBook 150
PowerBook 520
iMac G3 DV 500
PowerMac G4 1Ghz
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7 Ghz
PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz
PowerBook G4 1.67 Ghz
Mac Pro 2008 8 Cores 2.8 Ghz
Mac Pro 2009 6 Cores 2.67 Ghz
Mac Pro 2010 12 Cores 2.93 Ghz
Mac Pro 2013 8 Cores 3 Ghz
MacBook Pro 2010 13" C2D 2.67 Ghz
MacBook Pro Retina 2013 i7 Quad 2.6 Ghz
xServe 2008 8 Cores 2.8 Ghz

So that's it for my Mac Collection...

Oh I forgot, I got a used Mac Mini 2009 C2D 2.53 Ghz 2 years ago on eBay... I use it as a media center on my TV...

· Registered
6,489 Posts
And when you want to sell that quad you'll send me a message right.
biggrin.gif

· Registered
6,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

And when you want to sell that quad you'll send me a message right.
biggrin.gif
Oh if you are talking about the PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz, it's used heavily since I bought it new in january 2006. When it's under load I put my head behind the exhaust fans after getting out of the shower and it dry my hairs
biggrin.gif
You have other computers on your list? I didn't notice.

· Premium Member
852 Posts
Quote:

Which one were you talking about?
The PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz or the 2009 Mac Pro 6 Cores? It was a 4 cores bloomfield 2.93 ghz when I bought it new but I upgraded it to a X5650 2.67Ghz - 24Gb Hynix 3x8 GB DDR3 RDIMM 1333 ECC 2 years ago. The 2010 Mac Pro is a true factory built 12 cores X5670 2.93 Ghz CTO model

· Registered
6,489 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Which one were you talking about?
The PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz or the 2009 Mac Pro 6 Cores? It was a 4 cores bloomfield 2.93 ghz when I bought it new but I upgraded it to a X5650 2.67Ghz - 24Gb Hynix 3x8 GB DDR3 RDIMM 1333 ECC 2 years ago. The 2010 Mac Pro is a true factory built 12 cores X5670 2.93 Ghz CTO model
The G5 quad..

· Premium Member
852 Posts
Quote:

The G5 quad..
The cooling system on that thing is heavy as hell... I think when I decide to sell it shipping on that thing from Canadaland to Deutschland will be a pain... You might want to look in Europe first and take a look on eBay for prices on shipping from other Quad in canada and the US to give you an idea first... I have the feeling it won't be cheap to just ship it since the quad is heavier than a Mac Pro
frown.gif
(I'd say a good 10 pounds heavier)

· Registered
6,489 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

The G5 quad..
The cooling system on that thing is heavy as hell... I think when I decide to sell it shipping on that thing from Canadaland to Deutschland will be a pain... You might want to look in Europe first and take a look on eBay for prices on shipping from other Quad in canada and the US to give you an idea first... I have the feeling it won't be cheap to just ship it since the quad is heavier than a Mac Pro
frown.gif
(I'd say a good 10 pounds heavier)
I sold my quad on ebay a couple years back and it was $52 dollars to ship it back to the states. I work for the US Army and have an US address so US to US isn't bad though I don't know what Canada to the US is like. In any case those things are silly hard to find here.

· Premium Member
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooder11181 View Post

if only i had the money to buy your g5 quad
I'm not sure I wan't to let it go that's the problem... I got it brand new and they are hard to come by nowadays... even my dual 2.7 Ghz is not so common with an original cooling and pump
wink.gif
lots of my friends had coolant leak issues that were luckily covered under warranty.

Edit :
I can't even find any dual 2.7 Ghz on eBay and all the Quads 2.5 Ghz in the same condition as mine (Without dents and visible scratches) are above 1000$ so I don't think I'll be selling my PowerMac G5s anytime soon since no one would pay those prices and selling them that low would be taking a serious loss...
wink.gif

401 - 420 of 435 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.