Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Dell Inspiron 9400

Votes: 6 46.2%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to throw dual cores into my desktop but since its almost the same price as a laptop, i have decided i will buy a laptop dual core instead.
I own a ibook , I am very happy with my purchase.

I can get either

a DELL INSPIRON 9400
intel Core Duo 1.83
1 Gig DDR2 ram (2 gigs later)
Nvidia go 7800
60 gig 7200RPM hd

Or
Macbook pro
Intel Core duo 1.67
1 gig ddr2 ram ( 2 gigs later)
Ati mobility radeon x1600 128MB Gddr3

I will do some gaming on teh laptop, not a lot though. I can bear with the OSX games avaiable. This will be a desktop replacment and will be my main rig in the house. Which one would you rather get?

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
You're probably more interested in Windows games, and in turn better performance.

go 7800.
windows.

Sounds like the better choice to me...PLUS I don't know how many problems there will be with the MacBook Pro. Remember ipod recalls? Yeah...something to think about.

Any difference in battery life? That's the only other biggie that I'd look over.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just like laptops more. and since its almost the same price...why not buy a laptop

the macbook pro...is only 5.5 pounds where this inspiron 9400 is like 10+. I think the macpro has better battery. Rumors are they both scored the same in 3dmark 05. 3800 and 3800

will the inspiron be capable of gaming on vista

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no the lappy i just bought 1 month ago im keeping

the DESKTOP with the pentium 4 is what im replacing.

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Ok I guess, lol, I don't understand the world of 6600Gt1047. I thought you were replacing that the first time.

ANYWAYS, like ouroboros1827 said, go with the Dell
I don't think you do anything that warrants the use of an Apple.

Plus, we all know that in 3 days, you'll make another poll with two other lappy's

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is the DELL good for....Vista?

I was also looking atn the XPS line but it isnt dual core, is any XPS dual core on the way?

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6600Gt1047

is the DELL good for....Vista?

I was also looking atn the XPS line but it isnt dual core, is any XPS dual core on the way?

I have no idea. I personally can't stand laptops for nothing else except business use.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well Done

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pentium D 930 overclocked to 960 ( 3.6)
975X motherboard
x1900XT
2 Gigs DDR2 pc5300 Crucial Ballistix ( $400 ram)
550W forton
A-TOP alien case
Another raptor hd so i have 76 gig raptors

hows that?>

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Mac Book Pro looks like an excellent Laptop if we compare with a PowerBook, 4x-5x faster, but I'm curious about performances with Intel Chip not about PowerPC vs Intel, about Windows vs MacOS. I bought an iMac Intel and the performance is good 2X faster sometimes, not with all applications sometimes 1.5x, 1x and sometimes 2.5x; the operating systems works excellente and it's really 2x faster

Last night I bought the WinTel Emulator (http://openosx.com/wintel/index.html) and that was the best purchase I could do. OpeOSX's WinTel works perfectly with the iMacIntel, I've installed Windows XP and had the same performance for my Desktop PC 3.0 Ghz P4. I cound't feel the diference, well the diference is you can use Windows and MacOS in the same machine working full speed both. I try Office, Internet, Visual Studio 2005, and some other applications of my everyday use, and all work perfect. Before write this Reply, I try Doom 3 "Demo
" for Windows on the iMacIntel using WinTel and works good nothing out of this world.

So, I think in the possibilities, and the MacBook Pro could be a good choice if you considere use the excellent apps like iWork, iLife, the extremelly good looking of the MacOS X enviroment and advantange of UNIX/X11 apps. I think Apple make the best Desktop Computer ever with the iMac, now we just can speculate if Apple make the best Laptop Computer with the Macbook Pro.

Last fact, computer viruses, not all work in MacOS X, MacOS don't have the horrible bugs and problems of Windows, think about Temp Files, slow performance caused for unused REGEDIT records, Internet viruses, spyware, adware and all this stuff
. Personally prefer Linux for an x86 based PC, since today I think MacOS could be a good choice.

I hope I could help with your decition

P.S. Please excuse my bad English

·
Registered
421 Posts
We have a Dell Inspiron Laptop. To be truthful, the hard drive and optical drives are not very good quality. This laptop was not used for over a year due to the fact the hard drive died. The fellow that owned it could not afford the price that Dell wanted to repair. I purchased a new Hitachi 5400rpm 5K100 40gb drive and replaced the hd cage & adapter. Now I have purchased a new Pioneer DVR-K16 DVD DL Burner. Both the hard drive works perfectly and the DVD Burner is flawless. The hard drive was $63.00, the new cage and adapter was $18.00, the DVD Burner was $87.99. All these prices included shipping. As of now we have a good performing laptop, I also upgraded the memory by adding a 256mb stick of memory. I would have gone larger 1gb or so, but the mobo Dell has chosen to use only accepts 256mb as the largest size that will work.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiendofmine

if you already have an Ibook then whats the point of getting the other mac notebook? and i say, stay away from dell, they run INTELS! >

The new intels are good chips, i think they are evening up on the chip race though, but i still like intel, especially their new chips going back, with slower clock cycle comparible to AMD clock cycle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definately go with the macbook...

* the processor is NOT 1.67...is is 1.82, 2.0, and now 2.13
* You can use Wintel to run "Virtual PC"
* I believe you can actually install XP on a partition and OS X on the other
* i own one and love it
* the x1600 Graphics is very good for gaming
* the macbook is a slimmer, beter designed product with a light-up keyboard

* the only downside is some software isn't universal yet, and rosetta will run
85% of the non-universal programs fine...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts